1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I hope nobody in your gym ever needs the equipment and it seems very irresponsible to me that a gym wouldn't have at least one with someone always on the premises who knows how to use it. For goodness sake, my supermarket has a at least a couple.

They do have one at the gym ( I think it is the law in NJ). But the training or I should say lack of training on how to use it is the problem.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Training on the defib may be minimum. My office has in that is automatic which walks you through the process and won't shock the person if it isn't needed.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yeah, scary and raw stuff at they gym on Sunday; no sanitized TV version. I asked yesterday if anyone had any news and the people I spoke to didn't have any beyond what I witnessed, which was that he was in shock and breathing with assistance as he was taken to the ambulance. With HIPPA, even if someone from the gym contacted the hospital they couldn't reveal much if any information.

My time on Saturday with my friend was pleasant. In 1981 his wife was my secretary and over the decades he and I have become good friends and beyond all the purely social times have been part of both the good and bad life events of our respective families.

Regarding the chickens my guess would be that they're sold as a loss leader.

Thanks about the run.

Update

I wound up going to the gym last night and even though I had a lousy workout I'm glad I went. The same can be said for today's run. Something has to change mighty soon or I'm going to be in big trouble come November.

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp with a pesto sauce made from basil from our garden, pasta, and a spring mix salad.

Have a great day!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I'm still in "suck it up" mode; my run was poor, but I'm glad I did it and as long as I'm not doing anything to magnify what's currently ailing me I'm going to keep at it, albeit with some grousing. :-)

I'm not sure about dinner tonight because I may be going to a minor league baseball game with my son; unlike the one we went to last week which was two miles from my house this one's about forty five miles and there's a 50% chance of thunderstorms starting a little bit before the game is supposed to start so we're in a hold pattern waiting to see the updated forecast.

Have a great day!

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Rockland Boulders ?

You are right, a bad run is better training than no run.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Good guess and going there was a consideration, but yesterday was "Camp Day" and the game was at 11 AM. The game we were thinking of going to was the Somerset Patriots game. They were holding a home run derby pre game and than playing against a bunch of all-stars (I think that was the format), but because of the forecast for thunderstorms we didn't go. More below.

Update

An unusual evening on many levels.

After making the "no go" decision about the ball game I was locked into a do something mentality with dear son. We adjusted our schedule so wifey could join us, we ordered in Chinese food, and then went to the movies. Without a doubt it's been a couple of years since we ordered any take out and while I rarely go to the movies and my last time in a theatre wasn't as long as my last take out food order, I am sure that the duration since my last movie going experience on a Wednesday night is far longer.

The food must have been loaded with sodium because both wifey and I gained over two pounds yesterday and are feeling bloated so we're one and done with that restaurant. We saw Baby Driver, which was better than I thought it would be. Nothing Academy Award level, but entertaining for the most part.

Today is a scheduled cardio day, but it's already very hot and humid so I may have to do something indoors. :(

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled pork tenderloin marinated in pesto using basil from the garden. I'm leaning toward corn as the side, but may go with a cold salad. I'm also going to make gazpacho today for general consumption.

Have a great day!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I got a short treadmill run done at the gym that just reinforced my respect for Shamie's ability to spend so much time on the machine.

A couple of days ago I agreed to take care of my next door neighbor's daughter for the weekend. The time frame has expanded from tomorrow morning until Tuesday night. As always wifey and I are glad to help out, but it's a long time to be responsible for someone else's kid.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Exercise for the day was functional. I spent about 90 minutes trimming trees in my back yard, most of it on a ladder which involved core work to keep stabile as well as shoulder engagement. Under the best of circumstances being on ladders is not my favorite place to be and when you throw in wet conditions and sharp objects, both manually and power, I was not a happy camper, but I've been procrastinating concerning this project for a while and decided to just do it.

We have more than a full house tonight; for the next five days we're watching our next door neighbor's daughter, dear daughter's boyfriend will be here for the weekend, and possibly another friend for the same duration. Minimum of six and possibly seven around the table in the nights to come. Dinner tonight is going to be grilled chicken thighs, roasted red potatoes, and a mixed green salad.

TGIF!

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Good job getting a run done on the hamster wheel. Not a good day to be trimming trees (at least in this part of NJ where it has been raining off and on all morning.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks Mac.

The tree trimming wasn't the smartest idea, but the last thing I needed was another excuse not to get it done.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I accidentally didn't post yesterday, but there wasn't much to write. I had an abbreviated session at the gym and dinner was spaghetti and meatballs.

I blew off the gym this morning, but will be there tomorrow.

Dinner tonight is going to involve shrimp.

Have a great day!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I'm feeling better today so even though my trainer wasn't available I went to the gym and did a solo workout using a 3x8 or to failure format.

Db bench presses
    Bb bent over rows
    Bb standing overhead presses
    Db shrugs

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled rib eyes with roasted red potatoes and a to be determined veggie or salad.

Have a great day!

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I should have run when I first got up, but didn't and the morning got away from me. It's now 86 with 60% humidity so there won't be a run this afternoon unless I do something inside. Spoiler alert: I won't. Tonight isn't feasible because I'm going to watch dear daughter's softball team. Exercise for the day is going to be push ups and planks at home.

Due to the timing and location of said game, dinner is going to be haphazard. Maybe some leftovers before we leave.

Have a great day!

#19493 Seltzer, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  14. macdiver

Bronze Member

This is the time of year that you have to be out the door by 7 ish or it is too hot for running

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Totally agree.

Update

Today is a planned rest day. I'll be at the gym tomorrow AM.

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp salad with a side garden salad. I'm also going to make another batch of gazpacho; I'm the only one who likes it so more for me. :D

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Was at the gym for an extended session with my trainer. After warm ups we did 3 rounds of:

Db goblet squats
    Kb contra lateral step ups
    Kb reverse lunges
    Calf raises
    Hip thrusters

We then moved on to 3 rounds of:

Ball planks
    Turkish get ups
    Bicycles
    Leg raises
    Sit ups
    Kb Russian twists

I know I'm forgetting at least one exercise for each circuit.

We're going out for a light dinner tonight before going to a concert. The restaurant is a family owned Mediterranean bistro that has a great combination of fine food and portions at a very moderate price.

Have a great day!

#19496 Seltzer, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Lots of fun last night with wifey, but we wound up staying up late and are both dragging this AM. The concert ended around 11 and we were home by about 11:20 so that wasn't too bad, but a few minutes before we walked in the door so did dear son and we chatted with him for a while and just as that was winding down dear daughter came home and the process was repeated which was when dear dog, who was alone for hours last night, decided that it was play time.

It's 80F and humid on its way to 94F, but I plan to run/walk in a little while. I've become a master at finding excuses not to do cardio and while some are legitimate others clearly are not; it's as much of a mindset as anything, at least at the margin, and I need to reverse the trend.

I have a book club meeting tonight so I won't be cooking.

TGIF!

#19497 Seltzer, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Hope your run happened and went well for a hot and humid run.

Enjoy the late night talks with the kids. I'm sure it is worth being a little tired the next day

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I utilized something your wrote about earlier today; I went out for time and not distance, speed be damned.

Yep, it's absolutely worth it.

Update

I got out for 30 minutes at an 11:20 pace. Hot and humid, but I survived.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Solid workout this morning and now we're off to an Irish festival.

Looks like they'll be no cooking for tonight.

Have a great day!