1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Hazy, hot, and humid was the forecast so I was out the door by 8:30. Yeah, I know not exactly an eye opening starting time. At that time the temperature was 81 with matching humidity which equates to a heat index of about 85. Whatever. My goal was to slightly increase my meager distance and not focus at all on time and the end result was that I ran 2.3 miles at a 12:04 pace. Like last time all body parts felt good; my next run is scheduled for Sunday with a goal distance of at least 2.5 miles. Slow and steady distance increases for the win.

If all goes according to plan we'll be having sushi tonight with the twist being that we'll be making it ourselves. We did this once before and it should again be a fun and tasty way to spend a Friday evening.

TGIF!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I'm off to the gym then heading to a party about 90 minutes away for the afternoon.

Have a great day!

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Good job getting out when it's hot and humid

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks. More on that below.

Update

The pace of my short run two days ago was a good deal slower than any marathon I've ever run; considering there were no injuries involved it ordinarily would have bothered me a lot, but I did my best to focus on the process of building miles, pace be damned. Within reason of course. This morning was a different story. My run was 2.9 miles at a 10:53 pace, a half mile longer on a harder course, and over a minute per mile faster. To some degree the weather was more conducive and even if based on recent activity this was an outlier in the opposite direction than Friday I'm pleased. Actually what I'm most pleased about is the reduced recovery time, so even though I have a long way to go before I can enter the respectable category I can envision my plan coming to fruition. It's a good thing my recovery time was relatively quick before shortly after coming home, cooling down a little, and refueling, I was at the gym for a strength and stamina class.

The balance of the day is going to be spent around the homestead not doing too much. I see some reading and listening to music in my future. Dinner tonight is going to involve cut up chicken leg quarters that have been marinating for a couple of days. I'm not sure how I'm going to finish the spicing or how I'm going to cook them and I'm thinking of making quinoa as the side dish.

Have great day!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Monday morning fun with my trainer:

2 warm up rounds of:

Jumping Jacks
    Squats
    Push ups

Then 3 rounds of:

Incline Db bench presses
    Incline Db flyes
    Incline Db chest presses
    Incline Bb skull crushers
    Lat pulldowns
    Bench dips
    Standing Bb curls
    Db bench rows

Dinner tonight is going to be roasted chick peas with spinach and sun dried tomatoes served over basmati rice.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Although not planned, today may be a rest day. I've had and will continue to have a number of things to take care of and not enough time in between any of them to run and then make myself semi-presentable.

We're unexpectedly going to dinner with some friends tonight so no cooking for me.

Have a great day!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I ran 2.5 miles, no Garmin so no data. I'll be at the gym tomorrow and will run again on Friday with the distance starting with a 3.

Dinner tonight is going to be an eye round roast that I'll be cooking on my komodo grill with some mesquite added to the mix and the side is going to be roasted asparagus. In other cooking news, since I'm going to be home for the balance of the day I'm making a chicken stock from bones and giblets that I've saved during the past few weeks.

Have a great day!

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

:dreamy:

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks Mac.

Update

I had a make up session with my trainer this AM. After the usual warm ups I did three rounds of:

Kb squats
    Kb contra step ups
    Bag clean and squats
    Mountain climbers
    Kb Turkish get ups
    Ball slams

Dinner tonight is going to be linguini and clam sauce with a spinach salad as the accompaniment.

Have a great day!

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I ran 3 miles at a 10:58 pace. We're going away for the weekend so my next run will likely be on Tuesday.

Dinner tonight is shaping up as burgers cooked on my komodo with traditional accompaniments and corn on the cob.

TGIF!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Wifey and I are off to the gym and shortly after coming home we'll be on our way to our friends' house.

Have a great day!

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Nice run.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thank you.

Update

We had a nice time away with our friends, but there was nothing good to point toward with regard to fitness. That's going to change today; if nothing else I'll be going for a run in a little while.

Dinner plans are undecided; we'll be eating at home, but as of now I don't have a plan.

Happy 4th to all who celebrate!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Decent leg workout at the gym this AM.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled rib eyes, roasted asparagus, a spring mix salad.

Have a great day!

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I rocked the rib eyes last night, but if the next couple of days go according to plan I may not be cooking dinner until Sunday. We're going out tonight for dinner and dancing with friends and after hitting the gym tomorrow AM wifey is going away for the balance of the weekend with some girlfriends from college to visit one of their group who owns a house at the beach. My daughter is going to visit a high school friend who lives about 175 miles away so she won't be around. My son may be and I've invited a friend of ours who recently lost his wife to breast cancer (FU Cancer!) to spend the day/evening at our house; at a minimum I'll make some appetizers and depending upon how I feel I'll either cook dinner for us or we'll go out. If we stay home, the current top contender is seafood paella, but that it is subject to change and likely will. :-)

I haven't done any exercise yet because it's been torrentially raining; I don't mind the rain, but there's a lot of local flooding so I know I'd have to run through a lot of water as well as getting splashed by cars going through accumulated water so my plan is to wait until the situations mellows, which according to the forecast should be shortly.

TGIF!

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I was at the gym this AM for four rounds of:

Db squat presses
    Db reverse lunges
    Kb swings
    Kb bent over rows
    Up downs
    Mountain climbers
    Duffle bag squat cleans

Shortly after that my friend came over and we spent a very enjoyable afternoon chatting and then going on a walk with dear dog. He brought over a rotisserie chicken and a salad; we had them for lunch and I'll be having the leftovers for dinner so no cooking for me tonight.

It should be an early evening which means I'll be in good shape to get a run done before heading to the gym tomorrow AM

Have a great day!

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

As planned I got my run done before heading to the gym. My workout while there was okay, not great and not awful. One reason for that may have been that there was a very disturbing situation at the gym.

Just as I was about to enter the gym two police cars, lights blazing and sirens wailing, came to a screeching halt at the entrance and the officers bolted from their respective cars holding medical bags. What I shortly found out was that a few minutes earlier somebody was exercising on a treadmill and had either a stroke or heart attack. The gym has defibrillators and there are staff members trained in CPR so he was already being attending to by the time the police and subsequently the paramedics arrived. Very fortunately for this man there was a doctor exercising near him and she assisted the process; he was totally unresponsive for minutes, but eventually was able to breathe with assistance although he was in some type of shock.

I don't know the man, but along with many others in the gym was shaken by what happened. I briefly thought about going home, but decided that I would be better served staying and sticking to my normal routine. Now that it's behind me I'm glad I did, but I can't stop thinking about the man and how his unfortunate experience should be a reminder to never take anything for granted.

Moving along to more mundane stuff, I did four rounds of:

Elephant walks
    Duffle bag cleans with a squat
    Push ups
    Squat jumps
    Mountain climbers
    Bosu ball squats with arms full extended at shoulder height holding weight plates
    Low planks with shoulder touches
    Lateral sprints onto a raised platform

I'll be taking dear dog for an afternoon walk later today to take advantage of the beautiful weather.

Dinner tonight is up in the air as I'm not sure when the rest of the Seltzer family is coming home.

Have a great day!

#19477 Seltzer, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

At least it turned out well, and they were able to keep him alive. About how old was he?

That actually is what concerns me at LA Fitness, early in the morning there are only 2 employees there, it seems unlikely to me that they would be able to figure out how to use a defibrillator (I doubt they received training). :scared:

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I stayed out of the way and let the medical professionals do their jobs, but from the little I saw of him I'd say he was in his 50's.

I hope nobody in your gym ever needs the equipment and it seems very irresponsible to me that a gym wouldn't have at least one with someone always on the premises who knows how to use it. For goodness sake, my supermarket has a at least a couple.

Update

Despite going to bed early, doing nothing that wouldn't be considered healthy previous to that, and getting what I thought was a restful sleep I woke up not feeling well and I put off going to the gym this AM. I took a rare nap this afternoon and have made sure that I'm properly fed and hydrated and I'm starting to feel human again so my plan is to go with wifey to the gym in about a hour and then make it an early night again.

Dinner tonight is going to be leftovers.

Have a great day!

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Wow, scary stuff. Hope he will be ok.

Seems like you had a nice visit with your friend.

My wife and I were discussing rotessierri chicken. I'm not sure how the supermarket sells a cooked chicken for less than the raw ones.

Good job getting to the gym after running.