1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Another 2 mile run this AM; no Garmin so no data. My next run will be this weekend with an increase in distance.

Dinner tonight is going to be a beef chuck roast I got on sale yesterday that is being simmered in my slow cooker with various seasonings. Sides are going to be a garden salad and tri color couscous.

Have a great day!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Not hard core exercise for me, but definitely bonus some movement yesterday.

A portion of the afternoon was unexpectedly spent teaching my 8 year old next door neighbor and his friend some very fundamental aspects about hitting and catching a baseball. Both are soccer kids, which I could not give any advice about, but since last year they've also taken an interest in baseball. I know they're young, but clearly they have not gotten any good coaching from their parents or Little League coaches. It was fun and something I haven't done in a long time, especially with kids this young.

Today is a planned "active rest" day. No lifting or running, but I will do some pushups and planks. I'm going into NYC for dinner and a play tonight and my plan is to go in early and walk around for a few hours.

TGIF!

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Wifey and I had a very nice time in NYC last night and, as planned, I went in early and walked around mid-town for a couple of hours.

This morning we were at the gym for our usual class.

Have a great day!

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

What play did you see? Manhattan is very crowded with tourists this time of year. It is hard to walk in the streets, besides the tourists, many people now walk at a snails pace as they stare at their smart phones while walking, or all of a sudden stop walking (yet don't move to the side).:mad:

I overheard this conversation on the bus. This guy is complaining about young people these days, he said all young people care about are their smart phones, and Colbert.:lol:

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

No doubt Manhattan is crowded with tourists; the upside is it's good for the economy.

On Friday we saw Ernest Shackleton Loves Me an Off-B'way show that we won tickets to in a charity raffle. Today we're going to see Six Degrees of Separation.

Today

My plan was to get up early, go for a short run before it got too hot, and then hit the gym before going into Manhattan. Fine plan, but poor execution as I didn't go for the run. I will, however, be at the gym.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

After yesterday morning's time at the gym there wasn't much in the way of movement. After parking the car in NYC it was less than a mile roundtrip between the restaurant we ate brunch at, the theatre, and the place we went afterward. There was a dog walk last night, but it wasn't very long.

I was at the gym today and did:

Usual warm up stuff and then three rounds of:

Stability ball knee thrusts
    Heavy rope fun
    Db squat presses
    Kb swings
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Ball slams
    Decline sit ups

I've been hydrating extensively because aside from the weather I'm feeling bloated from the restaurant meals yesterday. Tonight I'm going to be making a weather appropriate cold chicken salad using boneless chicken breasts I'll shortly be grilling. I'll also be serving a to be determined cold side dish.

Have a great day!

#19446 Seltzer, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Not much to see here. I walked into town to meet a friend for breakfast and later will do some pushups and stretching at home.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled burgers with a cucumber salad.

Have a great day!

8. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member
    Platinum Member

:hug:

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Hi Paddy!

Update

A solo workout of 3 sets of 8 reps or to failure:

Bb bent over rows
    Bb standing overhead presses
    Db rows
    Lat pulldowns
    Db overhead triceps extensions

Dinner tonight is going to be crab cakes served with an arugula salad dressed with lemon vinaigrette.

Have a great day!

10. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member
    Platinum Member

with your db oh tri ext....are you sitting or standing and how low do you extend on the down?

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I do both standing and sitting; the last time was standing. In both variations my form is to keep my elbows pointed straight upward and lower the Db as far as I can, with the limiting factor that it hits my upper back.

Update

I really need a dose of motivation for running again. I went out this morning and just was not into it. Again. This has got to change, but I'm not sure how I'm going to accomplish it.

My cooking today will be as sous chef for wifey who is hosting a book club meeting for seven women. Dear daughter will be travelling to visit her bf so it will be me and dear son for dinner; we could stay at home, but things will work more smoothly if we're not around for the bulk of the meeting. I'm going to let DS decide on where we're going for dinner.

Have a great day!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Planks, pushups, and foam rolling.

Dinner is going to be leftovers from wifey's book club meeting.

TGIF!

13. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

For the running, I think John Stone called it machine mode where there is no choice. Schedule the day, time, and distance and stick to the schedule. As the mileage and commitment builds the enjoyment of running will return.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

You're absolutely right; everything right now is between my ears and I need to change my attitude.

Update

Saturday morning gym time, as usual. I did pretty well with the exception of doing a squat on a bosu ball while holding a db with your arms extended parallel to the floor.

It's a rainy day so they're won't be any outdoor activities this afternoon.

Dinner tonight is going to be the last of the leftovers from wifey's book club meeting.

Have a great day!

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I feel your pain. I feel that exact way.

16. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

After my soapbox speech I figured you could use some fun motivation as well.

Seltzer likes this.
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks Mac!

Update

I know I wrote a brief post yesterday, but I must not have hit the send button. Anyway, I was at the gym with wifey before meeting wifey's family at her father's grave as it was the first Father's Day since he passed away in March. After that the Selzters went to visit my father's grave before heading to my MIL's house for a party.

Monday fun at the gym:

Some warm ups and then 3 rounds of:

Stability ball planks
    Heavy ropes
    Jumping jacks
    Renegade rows with Fat Gripz
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Mountain climbers
    Bosu ball push ups with knee thrusts

Dinner tonight is going to be poached salmon with avocado that will be served cold over romaine lettuce leaves. The side is going to be marinated cold asparagus.

Have a great day!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Not sure why I didn't post yesterday; I was certainly on the site. Oh well.

Exercise yesterday was walking with some foam rolling and stretching. Later this morning I'll be going out for a run.

Dinner tonight is going to involve shrimp and a to be determined salad.

Have a great day!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I ran 2 miles at an 11:39 pace; my legs and hips felt good which is what I'm most concerned about. As long as they don't keep me from lacing 'em up my cardio stamina will be fine.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Exercise for the day is going to be a light workout consisting of an upper body push/theme.

Many of my dinner decisions are based on who is going to be home; since dear son will be out tonight I'm going to be serving a chicken curry with an Afghani influence according to the recipe. I'll also be making basmati rice.

Have a great day!