1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

According to wifey's GPS device we did a 3.4 mile walk.

There's going to be a slight change to my dinner menu and instead of salad I'm oven roasting asparagus that I bought on sale this afternoon for $1.68 a pound. EVOO, Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, salt, black, pepper, and lemon juice will be the flavorings.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

For the second time in three days I had trouble getting through my workout. I persevered and eventually finished, but it wasn't pretty. The menu for today was:

2 warm up rounds of the usual:

30 jumping jacks
    20 squats
    10 pushups

Then 3 circuits of:

Bosu ball pushups with knee thrusts
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Heavy rope fun
    Decline sit ups
    Db squat presses

Dinner tonight is going to be spaghetti and meatballs with a side salad.

Have a great day!

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Today is a recovery day and I'll be limiting myself to walking, stretching, and foam rolling.

Dinner tonight is going to be baked chicken leg quarters. In other cooking news, I'm presently smoking the corned beef I made; it will be ready for consumption tomorrow, but I'm going to wait to serve it until Thursday because dear son is coming home for an interview on Friday.

Have a great day!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

No running today, but I'm going to get a few miles of walking done and then go to the gym tonight for a strength and stamina class.

Dinner tonight is going to be a repeat of the lamb curry I made last week. Wifey wasn't home for it and asked if I could make it tonight. So I will.

Have a great day!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Exercise today was hill sprints. Run up and jog down. Not my favorite exercise and one that I don't do too often because of the pounding on my legs. I can live with the outcome, but clearly there is plenty of room for improvement.

I will not be making my pastrami for dinner tonight and instead will be having leftovers as I'll be alone. I was waiting for dear son to come home from college today before serving it and I found out last night that he and dear daughter are going to see my MIL and take her out to dinner while wifey is going out with some friends from the neighborhood so that they can show their support for her as she grieves the loss of her father.

In other cooking news I'm currently smoking a boneless turkey breast since my daughter has been requesting that I buy some and for the past two weeks I've been buying it at the deli counter at the market. What I make is less than half of what the deli charges and is far healthier.

Have a great day!

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Hill sprints as your first run for the season. :bow:

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

It may be the first and last. :lol: I'm feeling them today, but not in a bad way.

Update

Lions and tigers and bears....I mean accountants and attorneys and bills. Yeah that type of day, but stuff that needed to be tended to got taken care of. Otherwise it's been a sloth type of day. Nothing going on that could be considered exercise.

Dinner tonight is going to involve shrimp; at the moment shrimp burgers with baked French fries and a salad is the front runner of a menu.

I'm meeting some friends for an early happy hour, but will be home in time to cook dinner and have a quiet evening at home.

TGIF!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I was at the gym for a strength and stamina class this morning. I had neither so it was tough to get through. I'll be going on a walk with wifey and dear dog later, but I don't think I'm going to be good for much today.

The early happy hour I went to last night turned into a full evening of dinner. We went to a place in town which was having its official opening last night and the inexperience of the staff was evident. The service was terrible, but the food was delicious and when it came time to pay the bill our waiter informed us that because we were so patient and polite the entire meal was for free. We gave the waiter, who really was working hard, but hampered by the kitchen and bar staff, a generous tip and all of us would be willing to go back again.

So no cooking for me last night and with the way I'm feeling today I'm looking to lay low so we'll almost definitely eat dinner at home using the shrimp I didn't cook last night.

Have a great day!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

After a warm up I did 4 circuits of:

Bicycles
    Mountain climbers
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Heavy rope fun
    High plank w/ shoulder touches
    Ball slams
    Russian twists
    Rowing machine

It's beautiful outside so I may attempt a short walk before starting to cook in preparation for the small Passover Seder I'm hosting tomorrow.

Dinner tonight is (finally) going to be the pastrami I made along with a side of homemade coleslaw.

Have a great day!

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Monday fun with my trainer.

2 warm up sets of:

30 jumping jacks
    20 squats
    10 push ups

3 circuits of:

Kb squats
    Db step ups
    Incline Bb bench presses
    Incline Bb skullcrushers
    Lat pulldowns
    Pushups
    Seated bench rows
    Leg raises
    Crunches

For the most part the rest of the day is going to be spent cooking and preparing for tonight's Seder.

Have a great day!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I was too much of a fan of my cooking at last night's Seder and ate far too much. My clothes are a bit tight today so I have to be focused on portion control.

For exercise I'm going to take dear dog on a long walk.

Have a great day!

12. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Happy Passover. I'm not sure Happy is the right greeting for such a solemn Holiday. And for you it is a belated wish though the sun is still up here in California so technically for me it is still Passover.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

If talking to customer service people counted as exercise I've been a stud today and will be showing big muscles and increased stamina tomorrow. Three separate companies and as of now two of the issues have been resolved in my favor and in about a couple of days I should get confirmation about the third situation which should also be resolved in my favor.

Tonight I'll be at a strength and stamina class and dinner will be the chicken dish I made for Passover that I'm reheating in my slow cooker. The side will be the rest of the potato kugel.

Have a great day!

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I think it is. I had a situation with customer service also. It took 3 calls. I accidentally hung up while waiting for the first person. The second person told me it was impossible for him to fix. The 3rd person told me she corrected it, and it will show as corrected within 72 hours. :)

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thank you and yes, "Happy Passover" is perfectly acceptable. It's the story of the Jewish peoples' exodus from Egypt after 400 years of slavery.

It's maddening to the point when something does go well without a hassle it's a big surprise, but more often than not perseverance will win out when one is in the right. Between the 3 companies there was almost $2000 involved so it was more than a principle situation and very much a principal one. :-) All but $400 is taken care of and, as I wrote before, all indications are that I should get my $400 back also.

I'm glad things worked out for you also.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I spent most of the morning taking care of some things with dear daughter and then went on a 4 mile walk with dear dog.

Dinner tonight is going to be matzo brie with smoke salmon, a dish suggested by dear daughter. Dear son will be home in about two hours because he has an interview tomorrow AM. He'll be staying through Easter. In addition to the Seltzer family on Saturday dear daughter's former apartment mate when she studied in Ireland is coming to our house with her boyfriend and they will be going to our family Easter party on Sunday.

Have a great (rest of the) day!

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yard work and a still to be taken 3.5 mile walk with dear dog will be the exercise of the day.

Dinner will be cod cooked in a to be determined fashion along with a to be determined side. How's that for specificity? :lol:

TGIF!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Wifey and I were at the gym at 9 this morning for our strength and stamina class, always a nice as well as challenging way to start the day.

I wrote yesterday dear daughter's former apartment mate when she studied in Ireland is coming to our house with her boyfriend so I knew there was going to six around the dinner table tonight. We're now up to 10. The difference is that now it's more of a dinner party instead of us just having an additional couple of plates around the table. I have no desire to spend a lot of time in the kitchen today and the updated menu is:

Appys
    Crudite with dill weed dip
    Spinach balls

Main Course
    Grilled marinated chicken thighs
    Prime rib eye roast cooked over lump charcoal and mesquite wood
    Roasted asparagus
    Roasted yams
    Sautéed mushrooms, garlic, and onions

Dessert
    Fruit
    Other desserts will be brought by the guests

Beverages
    Whatever our guests want

Have a great day!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Hosting a dinner party Saturday night, spending Sunday at a family Easter celebration and losing (a little) weight equals SUCCESS!

Exercise for the day is going to be some solo gym work focusing the upper body.

We were given the ham shank from the Easter ham my BIL cooked and I'm going to use that to make split pea soup this afternoon.

Have a great day!

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I've walked about 4 miles so far, about half with dear dog. I may go on a run later.

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp served over spaghetti squash.

Have a great day!