1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thank you M@ and Phil.

Update

After a session with my trainer yesterday morning they day turned to one of immense frustration that still is not fully resolved. As I type wifey and I were supposed to be in the air on our way to wedding anniversary celebration. Obviously, those plans changed given what happened on Saturday and after figuring out alternative dates I notified the airline, the hotel, and the car rental company of our change in plans. The car rental company went as smooth as one would expect, but the airline wanted to charge me a change fee that was higher than the tickets and the hotel also wanted to assess a penalty if we didn't show up today. All told we're talking about $1100, which would be waived if I could provide them with a death certificate yesterday. Yes, the certificate that has not been issued yet. After hours of talking with various levels of management and getting Travelocity involved I should be able have the penalties waived upon submission of the death certificate. We'll see.

On to fitness stuff.

Yesterday at the gym I did 3 rounds of:

Planks
    20 lb. ball slams with a ball that bounce
    Squat jumps
    Heavy rope fun
    Bicycles
    25 lb. ball slams with a ball the doesn't bounce

Today my exercise is going to be walking. IOW, I keep putting off starting to run which needs to start soon.

Have a great day!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

All vacation issues got resolved in my favor; we're now scheduled to go in about a month.

I'll be heading to the gym in about 30 minutes and after that the day will revolve around my FIL's wake.

Have a great day!

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

We're all still a bit dazed, but today is the day we start developing our new normal. Laundry, food shopping, going to the gym, etc. No work; that will wait until Monday.

Dear son went back to school last night and since next week is his spring break he and three of his friends are driving to Canada today. We'll still be a house of four for the weekend because dear daughter's boyfriend is coming this afternoon.

I know wrote gym above, but only wifey and dear daughter will be going because I plan on lacing 'em up for the first time in a long time and going for a run. Yes, a run. That's not a typo.

I'll be cooking for only the second time in about a week and will be serving black beans with chicken over rice.

TGIF!

4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Have a good run.

Glad the vacation issues got resolved.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks Mac about the vacation. The run never happened.

Update

Between friends coming to the house and phone calls yesterday wifey never got to the gym and I never ran. What we did instead, along with dear dog; dear daughter; and her boyfriend, was go on a 4 mile walk.

This morning wifey and I were at the gym for our usual strength and stamina class. Around noon we're going to my MIL's house to help her settle some loose ends with the funeral home as well as some other things.

I'm not sure what dinner will be because I don't even know if we'll be eating at home or taking my MIL out.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Wifey and I were at the gym this morning at 10 for our Sunday strength and stamina class. After that I cleaned up to make me socially acceptable and paid my respects to the family of a woman who was very influential to me when I was a teenager.

Dinner tonight is going to be chili that a friend brought over so that we didn't have to worry about cooking.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

At the gym this AM:

2 warm up rounds:

30 jumping jacks
    20 squats
    10 pushups

3 rounds of:

Flat bench Bb bench presses
    Flat bench Db flyes
    Incline bench Db chest presses
    Incline bench Bb skullcrushers
    Pushups
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Planks
    Heavy rope fun

I was so fried by the last round that I could only manage one pushup. Barely.

Dinner tonight is going to involved pork chops and asparagus. We're once again watching our neighbor's 13 year old and she is a relatively picky eater so I'm going to keep things simple.

Have a great day!

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Sorry for your loss.

Nice work outs lately. :bb:

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks Mac. Way too much death oriented stuff lately and I fear there may be another one on the horizon.

As you know, I've always believed that for me the benefits of exercising were almost as much mental as physical and that's certainly been true for the past week.

Update

It's going to be a quiet night at home; I'll likely read after walking dear dog.

Tomorrow morning will see me making breakfast and lunch for our 8th grade house guest; I made sure this afternoon I knew where the brown paper lunch bags were. :lol:

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yesterday I wrote that I was reduced to only being able to do one pushup so today I'm doing what any reasonable person would decide. Yep, I'm going to the gym again. Wifey and I will be going around 6:30.

Have a great day!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

One of these days I'm going to have to get serious about running again, but that day isn't today. Instead I'm going to the gym tonight.

Dinner tonight is going to be baked ziti with a side salad. I made a meat sauce this morning so now all I have to do is assemble everything.

Have a great day!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Today will not be a rest day in the strictest sense of the term, but I'm not going to do anything very taxing. Walking and stretching will likely be the extent of my activity.

Dinner tonight is going to be lamb curry served over basmati rice and, if I get ambitious, homemade naan.

Have a great day!

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Shamie's post about running a race in the rain tomorrow almost made me feel like enough of a slug to lace 'em up today and run in similar conditions. But I won't; I'm just not yet there mentally. 38F and raining is no fun and instead I'm going to the gym this afternoon for some leg stuff.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled swordfish that will be marinated in lemon juice, white wine, soy sauce, garlic, and black pepper. I'm planning on making kasha, otherwise know as groats or buckwheat, as the side dish.

Since tonight is the last Friday of the month, wifey and I will be doing our usual thing and going to listen to our friend's band at a local pub along with some friends from town.

Dear daughter will be away for the weekend, unfortunately heading into a snow storm which worries me, yet I know I would have made the same decision when I was 24. We will not be childless because starting tomorrow morning we're watching our neighbor's daughter until Tuesday. That's not going to stop me and wifey from being at the gym at 9 tomorrow.

TGIF!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

The designated workout this morning was a hard one and I was not at my best so there was an additional layer of difficulty for me. Three circuits each with three exercises with ten burpees in between circuits and another fifteen to finish things off. Cruel. The order of the exercises is not correct, but we did:

Mountain climbers
    Kb rows
    Kb hip thrusters
    TRX rows
    Heavy rope fun
    Walkouts with a pushup
    Ab wheel rollouts with a hold for as long as you could
    Jump squats
    One more that I can't remember

Twice I started to get very light headed and had to take a 15-30 second break, but I kept at it. I'll be back for more tomorrow.

Our dinner plans got changed last night so we'll be having the swordfish, kasha, and a garden salad tonight. I have no idea if the girl we're taking care of likes either of the first two ingredients so I have a back up plan in place, but as I'm quite sure she's never eaten either I'm going to insist she try them before making a decision.

Have a great day!

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Kasha is probably a pretty hard sell to a child & me. :) Just kidding, I haven't eaten it in a long time, but just seeing it written down, I can almost smell it cooking in my parents kitchen growing up.:eat: I predict she will like the swordfish.

You never talk about this anymore, but how is your breathing these days?

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

I was thinking about the same except smelling Kasha cooking - my parents never made kasha

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks for asking. My breathing still isn't great, but better than it was in the sense that I have fewer "bad" days which make me use my emergency inhaler. I'm nervous, but interested to see what happens when I start running again.

My mother used to make kasha with bow tie noodles (farfalle) when I was growing up. My son isn't a fan of the grain, but the other three Seltzers are. I wasn't going to make the classic Eastern European Kasha Varnishkes, but after thinking about it I'm going to make the noodles yet not mix them with the grain until I know whether or not she likes the kasha. Regarding whether or not our guest will like kasha, I'm thinking she probably won't, but I do think she'll like the fish and I know she likes pasta and salad. No matter what she won't go hungry.

It's going to be a quiet evening at home tonight and I'm hoping that leads to a better workout tomorrow AM than I had this morning.

As happens every year about this time my tax return is finished and I will now proceed with my annual rant: F@#K You Alternative Minimum Tax!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I was at the gym this morning for a 60 minute strength and stamina class. The Sunday class is not as hard as the Saturday one, but there's nothing easy about it. Relatively speaking I performed better today than I did yesterday. This afternoon I'll be going on a four-ish mile walk with wifey and dear dog.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled rib eye steaks, baked potatoes, and a salad.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

How did the swordfish and kasha workout?

Glad today's workout went better for you

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Dinner went as anticipated. The swordfish was a hit, but the kasha not so much. She did taste it, which is all I asked of her, and then gave her some of the farfalle before adding it into the kasha.

Thanks about my workout.