1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I'mma need ya 'splain this to me.

Jaer
    likes fried rice. Not sure how cauliflower gets in there, though.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Take a head of cauliflower and either using a food processor (my method) or a knife (seems like a big PIA) chop the florets into rice size pieces. After that cook the dish as you would with rice with the main difference being that you throw the cauliflower in toward the end so that it's cooking for only about 5 minutes or until it's still firm, but tender to the bite. If you want a more detailed 'splaination let me know.

Update

Yesterday was 65F and sunny with nary a cloud in the sky. Today is 30F and snowing. Crazy stuff. We were forecasted to have 2-3 inches and we already have 3 with the white stuff still coming down.

I was at the gym this AM for a 5x5 leg workout of squats, extensions, and calf raises.

No cooking for me tonight because I have a book club meeting. I still have about 30 pages to read, but that will surely get done in time.

TGIF!

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

I saw in the Philly inquire (on-line version) that this is the first time to have snow in March when it hit 70 twice in February. Wierd stuff.

So califlower fried rice uses califlower as a substitute for the rice?

Nice leg work out

TGIF :curses:. Darn vacation is coming to an end.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Weird stuff indeed.

Yes about the cauliflower/rice substitution. There is no rice involved.

Thanks about the workout.

Sounds like you guys had a very nice time while away and I'm sure I'll be feeling the same way you do on March 28th when I'm on my last day of vacation.

Update

18F when wifey and I left for the gym this morning; it was a balmy 22 when we drove home. I was feeling some of the residual effects from yesterday's workout this morning, but managed to do pretty well. The exercise I had the most trouble with was doing Db squat presses on a Bosu ball. I think I spent more time getting back on and balanced than actually doing the exercise.

Later this afternoon me, wifey, and dear dog are going for a 3 mile walk; that should be enough given the weather.

Getting back to end of vacations, dear daughter is somewhere over the Atlantic as I type and in about 90 minutes will be landing. She'll be spending the balance of the day at her boyfriend's house and come home tomorrow. All indications are that they had a great time.

Wifey is going out dancing with 5 or 6 women tonight so I'll be a bachelor. I was invited, but not wanting to be the only guy I opted out and am planning to stay at home with dear dog and read. Dinner is likely going to be shrimp and avocado quesadillas with a to be determined side.

Have a great day!

5. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Just catching up on journals today... congrats on the NYC mary, and sorry to hear about your friend. When you go to Key West, do you fly directly there or have to fly to Miami and then transport through the Keys? I've been there a half dozen times, but can't recall if there is actually an airport.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Phil, thanks about NYC and my friend. I'm going to call her tomorrow to she if she's up for a visit.

Key West does have an airport, but direct flights weren't working out for us so we're flying into Miami and driving. I've never been to the Keys so the drive will just be part of the vacation and since we have no agenda that day if we want to stop and spend some time in Key Largo, Marathon, or some other little town we'll do that.

Update

We went on a shorter than planned walk this afternoon and after that the theme of the day has been laziness. I read a little, but for the most part was a couch potato.

Wifey is meeting the women earlier than she originally thought and they'll be going to dinner before the music starts so I'm postponing the shrimp and avocado quesadillas for at least a day. Dinner for me is going to be some concoction using the leftovers in the house.

In travel news, dear daughter's plane landed safely and she's now at her boyfriend's house. I'm not sure what time she'll be leaving tomorrow, but I'm hoping she'll be home in time for dinner, if only because that means she'll be doing the drive during daylight hours. Yeah, I know that makes me sound old.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Another Sunday, another workout. All is good. Aside from dog walks I may get a couple/few miles of walking done.

Dinner tonight was requested by wifey and we'll be having 1.5 inch thick USDA prime rib eyes that I bought on sale last week, which I'm going to reverse sear on my kamodo grill with some mesquite, and also serve baked potatoes, and roasted asparagus.

If I'm feeling brave I'm going to go the market to pick up a few items that I need if I'm going to make gumbo tomorrow. Why is that being brave? Because we're supposed to get between 12-18 inches of snow on Tuesday so I know the place is going to be a madhouse.

Have a great day!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I survived the market yesterday which was only slightly easier than getting through my workout this morning.

The usual 2 warm up rounds:

30 jumping jacks
    20 squats
    10 pushups

I also spent some time stretching my back.

Then the real fun began:

3 rounds of:

Db single arm squat presses
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Duffle bag squats and cleans
    Sit ups while holding 2 kb's
    Heavy rope fun
    Planks

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting an exercise.

Tomorrow is going to be a functional exercise day as all forecasts are predicting at least a foot of snow. To add to the misery, the winds will be 25-35 mph with gusts up to 50. Sounds lovely. NOT!

Dinner tonight is going to be salmon cooked on my kamodo with cherry wood and a to be determined grain.

Have a great day!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

From the way things presently look we're going to top off at about 9-10 inches, less than the lowest forecasted amounts. I'm not complaining. Shoveling and snow blowing will commence in about 2 hours when the precipitation is supposed to stop.

Dinner tonight is going to be a chicken, sausage, and shrimp gumbo served over white rice.

10. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know if we got less than expected, or if it was just so wet that it compressed down. Looked like about 3-4", but a shovel full was about 45 lbs. Is there a site to find out actual measured snowfall? :confused:

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

We also had some compression, but likely not as much as you. As for sites, try Weatherundergound.com, weather.com or one of the government sites such as weather.gov. for historical data. Also try this site

Update

Because I cleared part of my neighbor's property since she was away taking care of her elderly father I was out for about 2.5 hours yesterday. Wifey and dear daughter helped with the cause or my invested time would have been a good bit longer. Fortunately, I'm feeling pretty good and will be going to the gym tonight for a strength and stamina class.

Dinner is going to be a roasted corn chowder with a homemade focaccia bread. There may also be a salad involved.

Have a great day!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Aside from some walking and some very little ice clearing it's been a sedentary day.

Dinner tonight is going to be Irish beef stew.

Have a great day!

13. macdiver

Will you be cooking a corned beef with cabbage for St. Patrick Day?

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

No Mac, I won't be. Because it's Lent and a Friday, wifey doesn't want to eat meat. That written I did take advantage of the sale on cabbage and picked up a head. I also picked up a brisket and when I get back from Florida I'm going to take a stab at making my own corned beef, which I may turn into pastrami.

Update

I was at the gym for a solo workout of:

Db bench presses
    Bb overhead presses
    Db curls
    Db triceps extensions.

Dinner tonight is going to be flounder baked in a lemon butter sauce with sides of roasted asparagus and brown rice.

TGIF!

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Last night we got a call from the husband of my hospital ridden friend telling us that she wants to see us and that we should come. Fearing the worst, after our 9 AM gym session we were changing at home when we found out that wifey's father was taken to the hospital. Of course the two hospitals are nowhere near each other and we decided to pay our friend a brief visit and afterward spend time with my FIL who at that time was with my MIL and two BIL's. Unfortunately, his condition went south extremely quickly and shortly after we got to my friend's hospital room we were advised that we should come see my FIL. Sadly, it was too late and he passed away while we were driving to see him.

On a much lighter note, we had good workouts this AM and before we go to spend time with my MIL tomorrow we'll be at the gym.

Have a great day, something the Seltzer family certainly did not.

16. macdiver

My sincerest condolences to you, dear wifey, your kids and all your family. Loosing parents is never easy. I'm sure it was not an easy decision who to visit first in this situation. I'm sure y'all would have liked to say goodbye to your FIL but don't second guess your decision. Now is the time to celebrate his life and cherish the memories.

#19316 macdiver, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sorry to hear of the loss of your FIL. Like Macdiver said, you shouldn't second guess yourself about your decision to go to the other hospital first. At least he wasn't alone, and had his wife and sons there. Of course it is sad to lose loved ones, but passing away quickly and not lingering in hospitals and being in pain for a long time is not a bad way to go. Also, from what you wrote in the past, he was able to live in his house to the end, also a good way to finish life.

macdiver likes this.
  18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Mac and Shamie, thank you for your thoughtful replies and I agree with everything your wrote. We're not second guessing ourselves in the midst of an overwhelmingly lousy situation, to say the least, there are some positives to point to.

Update

Yesterday the Seltzer family along with the majority of our extended family spent most of the day at my MIL's house. It was comforting to all. The framework of the next few days is shaping up and all arrangements will be solidified this morning.

Moving to fitness, wifey and I were at the gym yesterday morning. We worked hard, but more important than the physical aspect of the exercises was the stress reduction that ensued and the opportunity to spend 60 minutes cursing burpees and other "fun" stuff and not thinking about reality.

I'll be at the gym this morning for my regular session with my trainer.

Have a great day!

19. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :eek:

I'll be remembering that the next time I think family issues are an excuse to skip a workout. :shifteyes:

My condolences to you and your family. That was a hard weekend and won't be much easier for a while. I'm glad your family is close enough (geographically) to cluster and share support.

20. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Condolences to all involved.