1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yes, I made it myself.

Thanks about the workout.

Update

I had a solid workout yesterday with only minor twinges on some of the exercises. I foamed rolled and stretched afterward and after dinner applied heat for about 60 minutes. I've done the rolling/stretching/heat thing this morning and will do it at least one more time today.

Exercise for the day is going to be walking.

Dinner tonight is going to be marinated grilled shrimp with a side salad and a to be determined carb.

Have a great day!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

More rolling, stretching, heat, and Icy/Hot last night and this morning. Things are moving in the right direction, but I'm not going to doing anything strenuous until tomorrow AM when I'll be at the gym.

Even though we're temporary empty nesters because dear daughter left for Ireland today it's going to be a quiet evening at home tonight. Dinner is going to be baked flounder seasoned with EVOO, fresh lemon juice and zest, minced garlic, and black pepper. I'll figure out a side dish later.

TGIF!

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Any luck with the lottery for the NYC marathon? I believe yesterday was the lottery. Good luck.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thank you for the good luck you sent my way; I was checking my emails yesterday and saw nothing, but after reading your post went to their website and YES I'm in. They've hit my credit card and I found the email in my spam folder. I'm both happy and worried at the same time.

#19284 Seltzer, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Congratulations. They waste no time on putting that charge through. :nod:

Seltzer likes this.
  6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Indeed!

7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Awesome. Have a great marathon.

8. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Congrats on being chosen for the marathon!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks Gents!

Update

Wifey and I were at the gym at 9 for a strength and stamina class. It was similar to the one I took Wednesday night, but tougher. We'll be back tomorrow AM for more.

Our plans for the rest of the day are in the limbo stage. One of our dearest friends is dying of cancer; although she is being treated at one of, if not the, best cancer hospital in the world she has not responded to any of the treatments and the fucking disease keeps spreading. When I spoke with her yesterday she wasn't sure if she was up to having anyone stopping by today so we left it that she'll call this afternoon when she assesses how she's feeling. At best we'd only stay about one hour with no expectation for her or her husband to do anything but sit and talk, but it's totally understandable if she doesn't feel up for any visitors.

On a much lighter note, depending upon how the afternoon goes, if we're home for dinner I plan on reverse searing rib eye steak and serving it with twice baked potatoes and asparagus.

Have a great day!

10. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry about your friend. :( Good on you for trying to visit. I hope she's feeling better today.

Seltzer likes this.
  11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks M@. We've known her since 1982 and her husband since they met a few years later. Even though we live about one hour away from each other our daughters are friends, we know each others' siblings and parents, and have decades of jointly enjoying the best life has to offer and some not so nice times such as the death of a parent. It's heartbreaking and unless she gets into some sort of clinical trial that proves successful or there's a miraculous turnaround it's looking very bad.

A number of years ago a woman I was very friendly with in college and who wound up marrying one of my college roommates was close to dying from MS after a two decade long battle and during a visit to their home her husband said something to me that had a profound impact on my future behavior because I recognized that I was somewhat guilty of it. He said, "Nobody comes out for sickness, but everyone comes out for death. You (and wifey) were different and I'll always appreciate that."

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sad story, I hope things turn around for your friend.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks Shamie; I haven't heard from her yet and as the day gets later I'm thinking the odds of us going to see her today diminish.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

We stayed home yesterday; my friend wasn't feeling well enough for visitors.

I'll be heading to the gym in about 30 minutes and afterward me and wifey will be going to a friend's house for a St. Patrick's Day party. The town we're going to is hosting their holiday parade this afternoon so we'll spend some time there.

Have a great day!

15. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow, powerful statement. The volume and frequency of out-of-town visitors that we had while my parents were sick is something I'm always going to be grateful for. It's nice to see they have so many good friends. It also makes me want to have a whole bunch of kids: family is essential.

16. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Sorry to hear about your friend. Hopefully she will have a good day soon you can visit.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

It's nice to read that your parents had so much support while they were sick.

Thanks Mac. I'll likely give her a call tomorrow.

Update

Monday morning fun with my trainer:

2 warm up rounds of:

30 jumping jacks
    20 squats
    10 pushups

3 rounds of:

Bb flat bench presses
    Db flat flyes
    Db incline bench presses
    Standing Bb curls
    Push ups
    Leg raises

Mostly it went well, but I had a lot of trouble with the pushups.

Dinner tonight is going to be cauliflower fried rice that will also use the leftover steak from Saturday's dinner.

Have a great day!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Today is going to be a low activity day; some walking and stretching will be the extent of my exercise.

Dinner tonight is going to be portabella stuffed with sautéed spinach and garlic and topped with mozzarella cheese.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Exercise for the day is going to be a strength and stamina class at 6:30 tonight. I'll also get a few miles of walking done.

Dinner is going to be black beans and rice with the meat from smoked chicken leg quarters thrown in.

In non fitness news, after reading about other's vacation plans and adventures I'll add to that by writing that March will be a busy travel month for the Seltzers. As I type dear daughter and her boyfriend are in Ireland and when dear son's spring break arrives at the end of the month he and three friends are road tripping to Canada. Not to be outdone by our children, wifey and I are flying to Key West, Florida in 2 weeks to celebrate our anniversary.

Have a great day!

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Not much on the exercise front as I unexpectedly was out of the house for most of the day; I'm not using it as an excuse, just to point out that I haven't done much. Yet.

Dinner tonight is going to be pork tenderloin with mango chutney and a side salad.

Have a great day!