1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks Mac; I did just fine at the gym.

Regarding the Kamado, I haven't noticed any fluctuation issues in cold weather; once stabilized the temperature stays there. What I have noticed is that it takes longer to get up to temperature in the cold weather.

Update

The party celebrating the birthdays of my FIL, MIL, and BIL was great. Ironically, I found out this morning that while we were at the party my 99 year old great aunt passed away, further cementing the idea that it's important to celebrate with friends and family.

This morning I was at the gym for a training session.

2 rounds of warmups:

30 jumping jacks
    20 squats
    10 pushups

3 rounds of:

Db bench presses
    Db flyes
    Db chest presses
    Bb skullcrushers
    Pushups
    Bb curls
    Bench dips
    Heavy rope fun
    Planks

As I was leaving the gym I came across something I've never seen before; a guy was on one of the machines and he was vaping. I had to do a double take and I know I paused long enough for him to notice that I was staring at him.

Dinner tonight is going to be pork chops and a salad.

Have a great day!

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :rolleyes: vaping :rolleyes:

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Crazy, right?

Update

I laced 'em up for a short run and despite stretching realized that my right hip flexor/hip, which was slightly bothering while I've been walking the past couple of days, was not going to loosen up so I did the walk of shame home to hopefully be ready for another day. Bummer.

Dinner tonight is going to be a variation of sausage and peppers; I'll be substituting cut up chicken leg quarters for the sausage and will serve the dish over rice.

Have a great day!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Exercise for the day is going to be a few miles of walking and then going to the gym for a strength and stamina class at 6:30.

Dinner is going to be lentils and braised beef served over a to be determined grain.

Have a great day!

5. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That sounds really good! Do you have a recipe?

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Sure. What I'm doing today is:
    Ingredients:

1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 pound of beef brisket
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small red onion sliced
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup red wine
    I cup Lentils

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Mix thyme, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl and rub the mixture over both sides of brisket.
    2. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or roasting pan over medium-high heat; place brisket in the hot oil and brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove brisket from pan and set aside.
    3. Place red onion slices into the Dutch oven/roasting pan and cook and stir until onion is slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in beef broth, tomato sauce, and wine.
    4. Place the brisket back into a covered Dutch oven/roasting pan.
    5. Roast the brisket in the preheated oven for 1 hour and then baste with pan juices. Recover and roast for about another hour.
    6. Let the brisket sit for about 15 minutes and slice/cube it.
    7. Take all the pan juices and add enough beef stock so there is ample liquid to cook the lentils. This can be done either in the same Dutch oven or in a stove top pot.
    8. Add the brisket and lentils to the Dutch oven or pot and cook until the lentils are done.
    9. Depending upon what grain you'll be serving start that at the appropriate time. Since we had rice yesterday I'm leaning toward quinoa tonight.
    I'm using brisket today because I have some in the house, but a cut like a chuck roast would also work fine. Since you're braising it for so long to get the meat tender there's no need for going with an expensive cut.

7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Awesome, thank you! :love:

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

It's unbelievably beautiful out, especially considering the date on the calendar. A mighty fine day for a run or a bicycle ride, but my lower back is really stiff (again), which made my workout last night extra difficult to get through, and my hip is still not feeling 100%, so I'm taking the conservative route and will do nothing more than walk and some foam rolling at home. So that's it for fitness.

Dinner tonight is going to be an assortment of sautéed wild mushrooms in a tomato cream sauce served over penne pasta with a spring mix salad on the side.

Have a great day!

9. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Thanks for the brisket recipe. I will have to try it.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

You're welcome. It's one of those recipes which needs some time to cook, but not a lot of active time.

Update

Another unseasonably warm day so I'm going to try and get some extra outdoor time squeezed in today. My hip is marginally better, but I'm not going to test it just yet so I'm looking at walking. Too bad given the weather. Oddly, I woke up with a nose bleed. Did wifey punch me while I was sleeping or was it due to all the snorting I've been doing lately? :rolleyes: Most likely, it's just another sign that I'm falling apart.

Because of late family schedule changes I did not make the mushroom and pasta dish I wrote about yesterday. That will likely happen tonight.

Since it's the last Friday of the month, wifey and I and possibly dear daughter and her boyfriend, who is coming this afternoon for the weekend, will be going to see our friend's band play at a local pub. As usual our plan is to only stay for the first set because we're committed to be at the gym by 9 tomorrow.

TGIF!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

'Twas a fun night with the band and although we stayed out a little later than anticipated we were still home before midnight. This morning saw me and wifey at our regular strength and stamina class and because it's so nice out we plan on going on a hike with dear dog later today.

Guess what we did NOT have for dinner last night. Pan seared shrimp served with grits and a spring mix salad instead. Dare I write that those mushrooms will be eaten tonight? No promises this time. :lol:

Have a great day!

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

The Seltzer's are a more active family than most, including the dog.:)

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I can't argue with that statement. Dear dog could probably use more activity than we give her, but we do what we can.

Update

A short while ago me, wifey, and dear dog came back from a 4.5 mile walk. At one point dear dog thought it would a good idea to roll around in the grass at one of the parks we walked through. Fun for her, but not for us because she was rolling in geese poop. Guess who got an outdoor bath when she got home. The upside is that it went better than expected and it gave me an opportunity to put on a bathing suit for the first time this year. FWIW, I peaked in the mirror and did not like what I saw.

There's a conspiracy afoot in the house and once again the mushroom and pasta dish will not be made because me, wifey, dear daughter, and her boyfriend are going to an Indian restaurant for dinner. Essentials of the conversation:

DD: Me and mommy thought it would be nice for us to be together tonight and go for Indian.
    Me: We can all be together around our table.
    DD: Yes, but we want Indian; we'll have what you want to make tomorrow.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

:D

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Mac, sometimes it seems as if the lunatics are running the asylum. That written, the dinner was good and I just had some of the leftovers for lunch. :eat:

Update

One hour of:

Mountain climbers with a push up every four knee thrusts
    Step ups with a knee thrust
    Ball slams
    Ab wheel rollouts
    TRX mid rows
    TRX Supermans
    Rowing machine fun
    KB sumo squats with an upright row

Today is the tenth anniversary of my father's death so me and wifey will be taking a trip to the cemetery this afternoon.

Given what's gone on the past few days I'm reluctant to write about dinner, but I'm planning on making the multi time postponed mushroom and pasta dish. :rolleyes:

Have a great day!

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I wasn't sure how much I had in me, but my workout went just fine.

2 warm up rounds:

30 jumping jacks
    20 squats
    10 pushups

3 rounds of:

Bb incline bench presses
    Db incline flyes
    Bb incline skullcrushers
    Bb standing curls
    Pushups
    Bench dips
    Db bench rows
    Planks

For dinner tonight I'm going indirectly cook a rump roast on my kamado grill and serve roasted cauliflower as the side dish.

Have a great day!

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

The heating pad is becoming my friend. After walking dear dog last night I foam rolled and stretched my back then applied heat for about 45 minutes. Upon wakening this morning I felt pretty good, but on my walk back from breakfast with my friend the discomfort returned. I repeated yesterday's routine in the late morning so I'm feeling better right now, but I'm sure I'll have to do it again later this afternoon.

Dinner is going to be salmon baked with Dijon mustard and topped with crunchy bread crumbs. The side is going to be a spring mix salad.

Have a great day!

#19277 Seltzer, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Hope the back heals quickly

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks Mac.

Update

Stretching, foam rolling, stints with my heating pad, and now Icy/Hot applications. Yep, that's my day, but it's not going to stop me from going to the gym. My wife is opposed to the idea, but my position always has been if I'm not going to further injure myself I'll deal with the discomfort/pain. In the past dozen years I've fractured my ankle, tore my rotator cuff, tore tendons in my wrist, and injured my hip flexor. None of them, as well as much more minor sprains and such, have kept me from exercising albeit with some accommodations. So I'll be at the gym tonight.

Dinner tonight is going to be chicken lo mein.

Have a great day!

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I am guessing you made it yourself, it is not takeout. :)

Hope you had a good workout.