1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for your perspective. It certainly wasn't the healthiest couple of weeks, but now that I'm home and things will revert to normal there will not be any lasting negative fitness effects. As for vacation exercising, all three things you mentioned took place. :lol:

I saw the pictures the kids posted on FB earlier today. I presently don't have access to my main computer so I won't be able to post any pictures for a while.

Wifey's relatives treated us wonderfully, as they always do, and our friends in London were great also, but as much as I enjoyed my time with all of them and the sightseeing we did, the highlight of the trip for me was when dear son joined us and the four of us were together. The first day we did nothing more than walk around parts of city and dear daughter's university while grabbing lunch and dinner IOW, fairly low key, but at one point wifey said to me, "This is the happiest I've seen you all week." She was right.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Welcome back. I was starting to think you deserted this forum too. Sounds like you had a great vacation. Any word yet on the NYC marathon lottery?

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the welcome. I did not go online while I was on vacation.

Unfortunately, I was not chosen for this year's NYC marathon.

Update

I was hoping to run this morning, but instead spent most of it attempting to fix my main computer. I eventually had to call my tech support person who walked me through some possible remedies. The end result is that he's going to be coming over later today to hopefully remedy the situation. Depending upon the timing of things and how much work I get done I'm looking to go for a short run after he leaves.

Have a great day!

4. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

That's a bummer. Here's to a good run today.:nod:

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks buddy. The odds were long so I wasn't expecting to be selected, but it would have been nice. Assuming I'm okay to run I'm turning my thoughts to other Fall candidates.

Update

DOMS are arriving on schedule. Love it and can't wait to move some iron tomorrow!

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Welcome back. Glad you had a great trip with your family.

About the fall, I'm thinking of running Philly again. If you are interested you could stay with me. The starting line is 35 mins from my house.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks.

Thanks for your kind offer. Once I start running again, hopefully tomorrow, I'll have a better idea of what my fall plans will be. Philly is a nice race.

Update

I made sure to include additional muscles in the "fun" of suffering from DOMS by doing deadlifts this morning. Went light (165*3*10) and also did some core work and db bench presses. Whole thing took about 40 minutes.

Have a great day!

8. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Welcome back!
    Whether it's for business or leisure, I always gain weight when I'n in the UK. Something about the excellent breads and perhaps a beer or two.

Booo!:(

Awesome to have the family together like that.
    Boo!:(

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the welcome; it's good to be back.

We had lots of fine brown bread while in Ireland and England and maybe, just maybe, I had one or two pints of Guinness. :)

I had very low expectations of getting into the NYC marathon so I wasn't really surprised. Would have been nice, though, if I did get in. Now that I've written that, I have to laugh. I essentially haven't run since last year's NYC marathon (Nov. 3rd), will not be doing any spring distance runs, yet am talking about fall marathons as if I'm not starting from scratch.

I took about 400 pictures while away so it's going to take me a while to cull them and decide which ones to post on JSF. Probably won't happen until next week after things calm down around here.

10. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

I grew up in delco. Close to pdude. Used to ride the trolley line into 69th st and then catch the L to center city. Saw some shit traversing west philly on the elevated. Was like the wire only back in the day.

11. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

I'll just say this. Drinking in Ireland makes a lot of sense. Also, after a couple weeks not under iron, lowering weights and upping reps also makes a lot of sense. It's exactly how I'd have played were I in that game. :tucool:

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the affirmation.

Update

I went on a 4.5 mile brisk walk with wifey yesterday. It's the longest I've continuously moved since November. Sad. My DOMS from Monday are receding, but the serving from yesterday's deadlifts are ascending. Since I plan on running later today I'm assuming that I'll be dealing with soreness for a few more days. I'm not concerned about it and since it's a byproduct of me getting back to a regular routine I'm looking forward to it.

Have a great day!

13. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

welcome back!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks MM!

Update

Two miles that were longer than they should have been, but my experience was not totally unexpected. I didn't run with my Garmin so I have no precise pace data, but I know with certainty it was in the "slow" category. Next run will be on Saturday.

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sorry you didn't get in the NYC marathon lottery.

I am thinking of running the Philly Marathon also. In case I want to be part of group that run marathons in all 50 states, that will cover PA.:) After PA, that will just leave 46 states.

Brisk walk is almost running. Those race walkers that you see in races sometimes walk faster then I run.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks. As you know, it was a longshot.

17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Philly, eh? Hmm...

Jaer
    could at the very least come hang out post-race if there is a philly run in the works.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I can't speak for others, but until I start running enough so that I get a sense of how my body and mind will hold up to the rigors of training I won't be committing to any races. Obviously, I hope all goes well and assuming it does I'm always up for a post race hang out. :)

Update

Major DOMS today, but they're not going to stop me from moving iron in about an hour. Same routine as Monday; I'll post results after I return.

TGIF!

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Registration goes up from $105 to $115 on 5/1. I will decide by then. The Philly marathon is flat?

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the registration info.

Yes, the course is reasonably flat with no major hills. A few minor ones, but nothing as steep and long as the 59th Street Bridge to give some perspective.