1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Nice job moving forward with lifestyle and physical improvement. I'd say that being around 10%bf is quite an achievement. Especially while balancing family, work, dealing with injury, and the things that come up in life.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the kind words. As I've written before I think my bf measurements are light, but I believe I'm very consistent in how I take them so even if the absolute number is incorrect, the relative numbers and trend are accurate.

I'll be the first to admit that I could use a bit more time in the day, but many (most) around here also have many demands on their time. I try to prioritize and work efficiently, but I also like Bmac's idea about buying some hours from somebody. :)

As for my continuing shoulder saga, if I were to have written something yesterday morning I would have had a lot of positive things to write and in a dash of zealous optimism may have even stated that I was only a couple of weeks away from starting martial arts again. Sadly, I aggravated my shoulder taking out the garbage cans last night. What a lame way to get hurt! It was throbbing all night which led to a lousy sleep and this morning it's still aching, so whatever's going on, my recovery is not nearly far along as I had hoped.

The numbers this morning are 178.9 and 10.4, down .3 and up .4 respectively. Nothing too exciting there; yesterday was the first day that I tried to be very good after over a week of not doing so, but it will take a couple of days for me to see any progress. With all of the knowledge that I've gained since finding JSF I have a good understanding of the process and I wasn't expecting any radical improvements so there's no panic in Seltzerville.

It's a beautiful day and as soon as I get my son off to school I'm going out for a run; I'm not sure what route I'll take, but it will be somewhere between five and six miles. I have to read up to see how this fits in with the HIT lifting protocol that I've been following. My general sense is that it doesn't, but these types of runs on days like this are something I really enjoy and I am willing to pay the consequence of not fully realizing my HIT program's potential to do them. I'll have to re-read Darden's book when I find some time.

My daughter has a baseball game tonight which partially overlaps with my son's martial arts class. I'll have coaching coverage for the first half of the game until I arrive, but we'll all be out of the house for about 3 1/2 hours, from 5 to 8:30. Sorta makes dinner a challenge, doesn't it?

Later.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If it wasn't happening to me I don't know that I'd believe it, but since I am experiencing it I gotta believe.

My internet access went down again yesterday. This issue has been going on since the beginning of May and my ISP, Comcast, will be sending another technician out today. Hopefully the fourth visit will be the charm. In addition I had my tech support person do some diagnostics so that I could at least ask a decent question of Comcast if need be. From what I've been told they haven't been entirely truthful with me so far. Each Comcast tech has had a different solution and I've even had remote diagnostics done a couple of times by Comcast via cable to try to determine the cause(s) of the issue. Truly unbelievable how badly these guys are screwing this up. If it keeps up too much longer I'm going to have to look into other high speed alternatives.

So, not only have I not been able to get here, I've been very compromised with work. What a pain in the ass!

I'm going to use this brief period of connectivity to get some work material that I can use off line later since the general pattern is I'm okay until about 8 or 9 AM. If I'm here later, you'll know the issue is resolved, at least temporarily, if I'm not you can assume that I'm on the phone with some Comcast people complaining.

Hope to be back soon. Be well and have a great day.

4. Wamsutta

Wamsutta Well-Known Member

From what I know of HIT, running definitely does not fit into it. That said, there's no reason you can't do it if it's something you enjoy. Life's too short not to have fun with your fitness. I'd just bump your calories up a bit on the days you run to account for the extra activity. Track results for a while, see what happens, and tweak as necessary. :tu:

- Matt.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wam: Without even consulting the book I know that running doesn't fit in the HIT program, but since I enjoy it I'm going to do it. As you wrote, life's too short.

I guess the fourth attempt was the charm because I finally got a competent service technician who solved my internet connectivity issues. If not, at least I've been up for the past two days. Yesterday was the usual insanity, plus some. In addition to the usual yard work and house chores we had two baseball games, two sets of music lessons (my wife takes the kids to that, but there still are coordination issues), and my son's piano recital last night. He was pretty psyched about it and it gave him an opportunity to play on a Steinway nine foot concert grand. An instrument like that retails for around $100K, not too shabby for a kid that doesn't like to practice.

We had an improptu gathering of neighbors at the house on Friday night, today we're going to a BBQ, and tomorrow we're hosting one, so it's a weekend full of dietary challenges. So far I've been reasonably good, although I did slip a bit last night when we went out for Mexican food after my son's recital. Fortunately it was a decent restaurant and not one of those chain types so I had a broader selection of foods to choose from and was able to get a chicken dish that wasn't smothered in cheese and surrounded by all sorts of fried stuff. It was a bit salty, however, and I'm feeling a bit bloated this morning, but I know that it is a temporary situation.

I'm outta here. Have a great Memorial Day !

6. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

While there is a fair argument that the 30-60 sec rest times between sets affords the average guy sufficent cardio effect with a high intensity workout, I suppose some miss the sights and sounds.

I look at it this way, if we do them right, bulking and cuts shouldn't take up even 10% of our lifetime exercise. I think both activities place the body under stress and we shouldn't dilute our nutrition and recovery time with other exercise. So during those times, cardio could be set aside. That leaves 90% of our exercise life that we can fit in additional recroational exercise for those who feel the need.

#106 RTE, May 31, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  7. Yinzer00

Yinzer00 Well-Known Member

Hey Seltzer, Where Y'at?

I just skimmed through your journal; it sounds like you’ve made great progress. Can you see and feel the difference in your body composition, despite the 1 lbs difference in weight? You seem to beat yourself up about not meeting your expectations, but from reading your journal I’d say you’re doing an excellent job at life. I hope you’re doing well, and look forward to the continuation of your journal in the near future!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Greetings fellow JSF'ers. I come back to you humbled, embarrassed, and annoyed at myself for my conduct. I intended to continue posting and I intended to stay as commited to the principles of this site as I had been, but the recent past says that my intentions did not coincide with the reality of my deeds. I have nobody but myself to blame for the choices I made. There's nothing I can do to turn back the clock, but I do have the power to change my recent behavior going forward. And I will, starting today.

In analyzing why I stopped posting I came to a few conclusions, with one of them being that I was spending far too much time here. I was reading an increasingly larger amount of journals and postings and adding my two cents when I thought I had something of value to add. Honestly, I couldn't afford the amount of time that I was spending here as it was affecting my work. Since I own the company, that certainly wasn't a good thing and despite just wanting to lower my level of commitment and not post or read as often, I continued to spend too much time here. Just as things were coming to a crescendo I had a few weeks of internet connectivity issues that served to break my rhythym of visiting JSF. Once my ISP finally sorted out the issues I had many weeks of catching up to do for work, I took a couple of short vacations, and whammo, all of a sudden I became completely divorced from here. And to my detriment, I might add, because my level of commitment to a clean lifestyle went astray and I missed keeping current about the goings on of the many inspirational folks around here whose success I was genuinely interested in.

Those are the reasons I decided to show my cyber face around here, but this time around I've decided to set some ground rules for myself and limit my time at the site so that it doesn't intefere with my business. What that means in practical terms I honestly don't know; I'll have to sort that out as I go along.

So, for whoever's reading this, and it may only be me, here's my game plan. I'm going to do what I was doing when I was improving my health. That means visiting this site; keeping track of what I eat; drinking a gallon of water a day, minimum; try to eat six small meals a day; keep a good macro nuturent balance of approximately 20/40/40; refrain from alcohol, especially those mid week drinks; continue to exercise; and continue to keep track of my weight and bf%. There, it's out there. I'm not setting any specific weight and bf% goals because I know that if I adhere to the above then everything will move in the right direction.

And the tale of the tape from this morning is I weigh 179.1 pounds and my bf% is 10.8. I've already made some progress as my average weight for the month of August is 180.5 with an average bf% of 10.9.

Later, work beckons.

9. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Shit, and all this time I thought you were at a really good party that I hadn't been invited to.

10. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

Seltz-
    Great to have you back!!
    Now get back to work...like I need to do...right now...after I check one more journal...
    I can totally relate!!!

-bmac

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    PD:

There were some good parties during my time away; that was part of the problem. :)

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey BMAC, it's good to be back. I feel as if this is a very positive step and one that I will reap benefits from. I can't wait to see my body start to transform.

I have a bunch of catching up to do; it's going to take a while to get current with my reading.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Day one is in the bag and it feels good. :claphigh: It's not that I feel any different than 24 hours ago or that any physical changes have occurred, but knowing that I've righted Ship Seltzer and am heading in the proper direction is invigorating and having a positive effect on my outlook. I know that it takes more than one data point to constitute a trend, but without that first one, the second is impossible. IOW, ya gotta start somewhere and my somewhere was today.

My macro breakdown for the day was (f/c/p) 8/47/45 although my calories were too low to be sustainable at 7.3 per pound of body weight. I didn't consciously restrict my calories, I just wasn't terribly hungry and my choices for eating including many vegetables and other low calorie, but filling items. One thing I learned early on is that this will not work for me if I'm walking around hungry. So I don't, I just make heatlhy choices.

There are a couple of potential minefields coming up between now and Labor Day, but I'll address them at another time. Now it's time for me to make a behavior modification that I forgot to mention in my initial post of the day; it's time to go to bed and get more sleep than I have been.

G'night all. :sleep:

14. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Oh, look who the cat dragged in. To remove temptation you should send me the contents of your liquor cabinet. And the cabinet itself, if it's hardwood. But none of that laminated particleboard crap.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    LOL! Ice, thanks for your generous offer, but I'm sure you'll understand if I decline to take you up on it. Actually, now that I think about it you can have the cabinet, which is really a full wet bar (NOT hardwood) that I honestly would never have installed and occasionally think about removing. It takes up real estate in the basement that I could find a better use for, especially since we never entertain down there even though it's a finished basement. To date, its main function is to act as a large storage area and a surface for the kids to pile crap on top. Judging from the style, my guess is that one of the previous owners put it in sometime in the mid 70's.

Even when we were looking at the house fourteen years ago the real estate agent was touting the wet bar as an ammenity that was valuable and one that we would get much use from when we entertained, but I knew even then that the amount of times that we would have people over so that they could belly up to the bar while I stood on the other side and played bartender was going to be minimal. And time has proven me correct. When we have friends over we are either hanging on the first floor or outside. So, Ice, thank you for your kind offer, but I think I will keep the bar and its contents. The same goes for my basement refrigerator that is mostly dedicated to keeping various beverages cold. :) Now to JSF stuff before I have to get some more work done.

Sometimes you just have to laugh. Weight and bf% this morning were 180.2 and 9.9. After yesterday one would intuitively think that I would weigh less than I did two days ago, but I'm not dismayed in part because I know that my body usually takes two days to react to dietary changes. The larger reason that being on the wrong side of 180 doesn't bother me is that I'm focused on the process. I know that if I adhere to certain disciplines and principles progress will be made. Not everyday, but the trend will be correct.

As for the bf% reading, that is absolutely erroneous. There is no way the number can be correct. As I've written before I've always thought that my readings were too low, but this one's deviation from reality is far too large to be believable. I used the same multiple measurement technique that I've always used and I calibrated my calipers, so I'm going to record it, but I know that it is an anomaly. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

There's no reason why I shouldn't have another clean day today as there are no potential monkey wrenches that will put me in a position to possibly make a poor decision. My preliminary eating plan is akin to yesterday's, with a good macro breakdown and high fiber, but shy on the calories. After I finish this entry I'll read some other journals. Then it's time to get back to work with hopefully a short visit back here at least once (or twice) during the day.

Have a good one.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Recently I was grappling with some philosophical issues as they pertain to this and other communities, virtual or not. Specifically, I was trying to figure out what makes communities successful. One of my strong beliefs is that there is a need, at a minimum, for a broad based amount of members who are willing to add input in addition to taking away knowledge. From this two way dialogue conversations and relationships evolve. I know that I and others have written about this before, but I continued to have trouble figuring out how to be one of those who adds value to JSF. As I read through many journals, including my own, it's apparent that there are many here who are generous with both their knowledge and time, but what could I do to even my personal give/take scorecard?

I knew that scorecard was lopsided and it did not sit right with me, but I was having trouble reconciling my wanting to give more to JSF with my personal limitations of a lack of strong knowledge and time constraints. It then dawned on me that there are many ways to contribute to ensure the continuation and success of the JSF community and one that I had overlooked for far too long is to make a contribution. So I did a short while ago.

Thank you John and the many wonderful members of the JSF community that have supported my efforts and shared your knowledge. I am truly better off because of you.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My eating for the day is over so the only variable left is whether or not I get to bed at a reasonable hour. I have every intention of doing so I'll be able to record this day as “pretty good”, essentially a B to B+. My macros were too high in fat, but that was partly due to the fact that I had a couple of olives and some feta cheese in my Greek salad (dressing on the side) for lunch, so I don't feel terrible. As happened yesterday, my calories were too low; if this continues then I'll have to make a conscious effort to add another healthy meal to my day. For the past two days I've eaten five a day because I just haven't been hungry enough to eat more often, but I know that I'm not eating enough to lose the weight and fat in a healthy manner. I'll try to do better tomorrow, maybe adding some nat pb in the afternoon.

Tomorrow is going to be a crazy one and I may not be able to get online until tomorrow night. There may be some minor food challenges, but I will have an opportunity to eat clean and I'm confident that I'll stay with my program throughout the day. Geez, if I falter tomorrow, I'll really have to come back here with my tail between my legs. Don't worry, it aint' gonna happen.

18. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    No you won't.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I know that I wrote last night that I probably would not be able to be on line for most of the day today, but that seems to have changed. Not only can I get more work done than I originally anticipated, but I can spend more time than I planned around here.

Numbers this morning were 179.7 and 10.4. Taking literary license with what one of the Yankee announcers says whenever one of the Bronx Bombers hits a homerun, "See ya 180!". Now that I'm back below that figure I hope that it will be a long time before I get to the other side, and then only if I decide to do some bulking.

Not too much to write about at the moment; most of my morning has been spent working with a few JSF breaks thrown in. I've planned my meals for the day and I should be even more on target now that I don't have to go out to lunch with the people I was supposed to meet this morning. That's a good thing for many reasons, not the least of which is that I'll have more control of my eating during the mid part of the day. Break over, see you later.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I was pooped yesterday and didn't get around to posting. A stressful day it was, but I came through with flying colors. My macros wer 16/40/44 and 49 (f/c/p and dietary fiber) and nary a drop of acohol passed my lips even though the two people I met with had a couple of drinks after the meeting. It's really easy to get your fiber up when you eat two cups of cooked (no fat added) lentils. They were one of the foods that I stopped eating when I was “away”, but I'm going to reintroduce them because they're so heatlhy and versatile.

Honestly, I was tempted to have a drink when the others ordered, but I resisted temptation for a couple of reasons. I don't think that all drinking is equal and for me to have one with a few people after a business meeting on a Wednesday afternoon is very different than me sitting at home having a couple of maritinis on a Wendesday night, but often it is easier for me to totally abstain than to just have one. So I did. The fact that I didn't particularly care for these people also helped me stick with my seltzer and then mumble something about having to get back to my office. That wasn't entirely unforthright as I had taken time from my day to explore a situation that I was pretty sure I had no interest in pursuing and I really did go back and work for a couple of more hours. I'[m pretty sure that last week I would have made a different decision; I may have still gone back to my office, but with a couple of drinks in me and that usually leads to some more later that evening.

Numbers this morning are 178.5 and 10.4. I know it's only three days, but I'm extra proud of myself because this has been quite the week. On the work front, let's just say that it's one of those weeks when not being the boss/owner looks like an inviting alternative to owning your own business. Unless something dramatically positive happens today and tomorrow, I'll wind up losing money for the week. I've been doing this long enough to understand that this sometimes happens, but it sure doesn't make it fun.

As you may know, my office is in my house, and presently there are contractors crawling all over the place. We're having a lot of renovation done, so it's not the most conducive atmosphere to concentrate on work, but I need to be around for at least part of the day to answer questions that come up. In addition nobody is sleeping in their beds, so although I'm getting to bed at a reasonable hour, the quality of the sleep is lower than normal.

I was a bit concerned that I would have to stay up later than I wanted to last night when turned on the TV to catch the Mets and Yankees scores. The Met game was already in the eighth, so that was over before ten, but the Yankee game was far from over and Randy Johnson had a no hitter going. I now project and think that there is no way that I can turn off a no hitter so I may have to stay up for another hour or so. Well the White Sox did get a hit the next inning, wound up knocking Johnson out of the game, and in very short order a 7-0 game is now 7-6. Once again I can't turn the game off; they got me! At least both NY teams prevailed and I was in bed early enough to get over seven hours sleep.

I just realized that I haven't been writing about my exercise routines, so I'll post about that when I have some time later today.

Have a great one.