1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

TGIF :D

PIZZA sounds good tonight!

What are they testing the dog today for now?

2. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Oh kree! :lol:

Seriously, though, pizza and live jazz is a great combination. Enjoy!

I've got 11 miles on the menu this weekend too. Good luck with it.

3. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

My deepest sympathies are with you as far as having to teach Dear Son how to drive.....I remember that same experience quite vividly, only it was the daughters. I recall the younger one driving us to the local carnival once: the ride there was scarier than anything that they had at the fairgrounds!
    Love the Cape May pics.....isn't that where the ferry goes to from Lewes, Delaware? I've been wanting to do a daytrip there for years, and now I won't have an excuse not to. Anyway, those pictures are an added incentive!:nod:
    Hope the elbow feels better soon!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Kree, it was good. One with smoked mozzarella and basil, another with eggplant, tomato, fresh mozzarella, pesto, and caramelized onions, and a third with marinara sauce, mozzarella, asiago, and basil.

The dog had another test to determine what her protein levels are. Hopefully she's stabilized and we can start weaning her from her meds.

Thanks E. Same to you.

Imelda, I survived day one. We were out for about three hours in total and I could already see the improvement. I know there are going to be some harrowing times ahead, but it's all going to be fine in the end.

Cape May is very pretty. Yes, the town is where the ferry from Lewes, Delaware lands. We took it a few years ago while coming home from a family road trip and it was very nice.

Thanks about my elbow. I'll know more on Monday.

Update

It was a fun time last night. I exhibited good portion control and even with the pizza and beer I lost a third of a pound yesterday so that was an added bonus.

Right now I have five kids eating breakfast downstairs and we'll be leaving for the amusement park in about 45 minutes. They're motivated so I didn't have to do much to get them up and going.

Have a great day!

5. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

1/3 pound? :confused: you sitting on the kitchen scale?

what amusement park?

6. kree-kree

Hope you had a great day! Did you ride any rides???

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Paddy, while I have a digital kitchen scale I also have a digital bathroom one. I did take some liberty with the "1/3" as it technically was .3. You caught me. ;)

We went to Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson NJ.

Thanks Kree. It was a very, very odd day. Nobody went on any rides because the park was having electrical and computer issues that started just as we arrived.

We were granted admission to the park shortly before 1 PM and once inside quickly found out that the rides were not operating due to a generator failure. We were assured that the issue would be quickly resolved by a number of very polite park employees so we waited. And waited. And waited all the while walking from one ride to another because there were rumors that it was about to start up. In fact some did start only to be shut down again. At some point the issue morphed from an electric malfunction to a computer problem and we were once again assured that the park would be fully functional in short order. Around 3 PM the formerly cohesive message from the employees concerning when a resolution would be found became less so and by the time 4 PM rolled around it was apparent that there was a no clear message of when functionality would return so having grown tired of just walking around and needing to chase down information that could have easily been broadcast over the park's communications system we decided to cut our losses and tried to salvage the day.

In addition, the ride to the place which should only have been about 75 minutes took over 2.5 hours. I can't blame that on the park. Still, while there was disappointment we managed to make the best of it and the kids were great. I have a protest filed with my credit card company and have already written a second draft of a letter that will be sent to the Chairman of the Board and CEO of the company. I'll polish it tomorrow and mail it on Monday.

Update

I haven't input my food into Fitday yet, but I know that the marcos are going to be protein deficient with calories in line. As I wrote this morning, it's going to be an early evening so that I can wake up tomorrow around 5:30 and go for a six mile solo run. I'll then join up with wifey and go for another six miles. I'll catch up on journals tomorrow.

Good night.

8. kree-kree

Your telling me they did not give you your money back after riding zero rides???:mad: A big letter would be written for sure! Thats crazy! Just consider it another day of bonding with the children :D

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Kree, it was crazy and maddening. There was no way of getting any satisfaction from the park yesterday as there were thousands and thousands of people there in the same situation. I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be successful with my twin barrell approach of a letter to the head of the company and a protest to my credit card company that will start a disputed charge inquiry.

Update

Had the morning gone as planned I would have finished my run about two hours ago, but I haven't left yet. There were violent thunderstorms this morning so I turned my alarm off and caught another hour's sleep. While it's still raining the conditions have improved so I'm gearing up to hit the road in a short while.

Have a great day!

10. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

what an emo bummer. i'm bummed out just reading it. :( i was thinking how cool amusement parks are and i don't go anymore because the kids are older or gone. that just blows what happened yesterday.

hope you have good runs today.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Absolutely was Paddy. Dear son and the kids made the best of it, but all were disappointed. How could they not be? Regardless of the outcome between me and Six Flags Entertainment Corporation, the publicly traded owner of the amusement park, we're going to make it up to dear son. After this experience it may not be a trip back to the same place as there are alternatives not too much farther away.

Update

Still here, obviously. :D I just had a talk with wifey about how we have do our run regardless of the weather. She was at first hesitant, but knew that it must be. Per our original plan I'm going to run for about an hour alone and then come back to the house so that we can run five to six miles together.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    11.1 miles are in the books. I ran the first very hilly 5.6 alone at a 9:58 pace and ran the final much flatter 5.5 miles with wifey at a 11:17 pace. It rained the entire time, but since the temperature was in the high 70's it felt good. Right now we're both feeling okay with no ailments to write about. Better yet, we're back on track and enthused to continue our training for October.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

How do you run with an umbrella? Do you each have one, or do you share one? :lol: Kudo's to Mr & Mrs. Seltzer, you are both hardcore to be running in the rain.

14. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

that's a great run today. two parts, very difficult emotionally to ramp up a second time. :tucool:

15. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Really sorry about the amusement park let-down, Seltzer; hope you get some recompense for not getting what you paid for.
    Great about the run, though. Nice to be able to run in the rain if it's not too hazardous..:)

16. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Six Flags in NJ? That's the one with I think it's Kingda Ka? I've always wanted to go on that. Sucks it didn't work out, I hope you get your refund and some free tickets or something. I haven't been to Magic Mountain in a couple years now after going every summer for years. They got some new stuff too. I want to see how the new coaster compares to X since it looks similar with the tilting trains mid ride. Nothing has made me need clean undwear faster than the first drop face down on X.

Good luck fighting the man.

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

If it was Six Flags, I hope you all at least got to got to the Safari part, and see the wild animals. They really should give you a refund. I was at the town pool where my sister lives last weekend. Since I don't live in that town, it costs $12. to go to the pool. After we are there for a while, they close the pool for 3 hours, somebody had an "accident" in the pool. :confused: While they didn't refund the money, they gave a pass for another weekend.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:

Damn. I thought I posted a reply yesterday, but I must have it a wrong button. Here we go again.

Shamie, we run with something like this:

238950.jpg

NOT! :)

Although we were soaking and the conditions weren't ideal, to my taste it was better than running in extreme heat and humidity.

Thanks for the kudos. The transition was very seamless since wifey was waiting outside the house for me. I almost didn't have to break stride.

Regarding the amusement park fiasco I'm doing all I can and hoping for the best.

Thanks about the run.

Yes Kingda Ka is at the park. Very intimidating looking. Absolutely vertical with twists. :barf:

kingda ka.jpg

Ironically, that was about the only ride that was consistently working since it supposedly has a separate power source from the rest of the park.

Thanks for your good wishes about a favorable resolution with Six Flags.

While I'm hoping for the cash, I think it's more realistic to at most expect that I'll be issued admission tickets for another day just as you were.

Update

I had a few beers last night, but otherwise everything was clean so my total calories were slightly over 2000. Not too bad, all considered.

I'm going with the kids to the gym this morning after they wake up. :lol: That's about to happen shortly whether the know it or not. :D Gripper work will follow this afternoon and at 2:00 I have an appointment with a doctor so that my elbow can be evaluated. Tonight I'm heading into NYC to have dinner with a friend.

Have a great day!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I had a solid workout this morning and recently finished an okay gripper session.

I'll be leaving for NYC in about one hour.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A late first post.

Today is a cardio day and I went out for a lunchtime 3.5 mile run. I didn't take my Garmin so I have no pace data, but I know I was running faster than my 5.5 mile pace on Sunday. My left knee had some minor complaints, but nothing serious and even though my legs felt a little tired from Sunday's run they felt fine once they loosened up. My cardio was meh, but I kept at it and finished.