1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    With the packing still ahead of me I haven't been able to get into the vacation mindset yet. Soon, soon.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Gripper work is done!

3. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

I probably missed the post so call me a skimmer but where is the Seltzer clan going???

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    KK, you may have skimmed, but I never wrote where we were going. :D We'll be spending the week in Cape May, NJ a beach resort town at the southern boundary of the state. This will be the 15th consecutive year that we're going away with wifey's siblings' families. The previous 14 were on Long Beach Island, a barrier island off the coast of NJ. Good stuff.

I had hoped to be packed already so that we could get an early start tomorrow AM, but we're in the midst of a powerful summer thunderstorm that hopefully won't last too much longer and plans have gotten delayed.

5. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

Another week away, have a great time Paul

6. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Exactly! I think he's taking after kree. ;)

Seltzer + Family, have a blast!

7. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

cape may = big old houses and quiet beach. enjoy.

8. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

So while Seltzer and family are partying at the beach I have to creep into his journal and say I had an amazing stay with the family. All four of them seriously rock. I ended up staying 5 instead of 2 nights and felt at home right away with the typical JSF hospitality I received! Paul really does cook great meals every night for all the family! Can't wait to come back, though hope they make it to Nice sometime too :0 Thanks again, Paul.

#11348 Jedi, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks George, we did.

I have some catching up to do if I'm to keep up with the Vacation Queen. I don't think we have anything planned until our three consecutive long weekends away in October. Something in Ohio, parent weekend at dear daughter's college, and then the MCM.

Big old houses abound and we had one of them. Seven or eight bedrooms and four bathrooms. It's slightly over 100 years old, but the new owners just finished renovating and updating and this is its first year as a rental. Modern conveniences with old world charm.

:o Thanks Jedi. Folks, we had a blast with her and she is a great guest who is welcome back anytime. And if it happens that we find ourselves in Nice, I'll be knocking on her door.

Update

We had a great time at the beach. The weather was wonderful, the house and town were very nice, and we all just had a blast. The scale tomorrow may be ugly, but for the most part I made good food and portion decisions. Truth be told, not so much with my evening beverage choices, but there was no driving involved and I was on vacation.

I did some cardio everyday with the exception of today, but my mileage totals were greatly diminished from previous years. I wound up cycling only about 95 miles and running 16.3. Half of the running miles came with my long training run of eight miles so I'm back on track and will be doing my first double digit run of this cycle tomorrow. The cycling mileage was significantly down from prior years in large part because of a couple of injuries.

Shortly before I went camping three weeks ago I noticed that my left elbow was slightly tender. There were no markings, I didn't remember hitting it on anything and since it didn't bother me I pretty much forgot about it even while camping. About the third day into my vacation it ballooned up and filled with fluid and became painful to the touch as well as when cycling. I usually can deal with pain as long as I don't think I'm going to further injure myself and this fell in that category. I still went out for short rides, to the consternation of wifey and other family members, but it's enough of a concern that I'll be calling my doctor so that I can see her on Monday. My right shoulder also starting aching somewhat mysteriously, again something that isn't conducive to long distance biking. At the moment wifey is threatening to turn me in for a newer model. :lol:

While away I didn't watch a second of television of spend a moment on the internet. I did have some cell phone conversations and read the newspaper, so I know that the market fell apart while I was away. Do I have to take care of everything? :lol:

We came back to a house that is still in the midst of its painting, roofing, etc. project so there is debris all over. The contractor has not started to take the roof off, but all of the non brick portions of the house are down to bare sanded wood, the gutters are off and it looks exactly like the work in process that it is. I have a meeting with the owner on Monday to discuss the project.

We had a great time, but now we're back and I need to catch up around here and in real life. Given time limitations I'll be doing a lot more reading than writing so to all that have journals that I regularly post in be assured that I'll be catching up even if I don't comment.

10. kree-kree

WELCOME BACK!!!!!!! :D

11. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

my god. seltzer's back. and i was seriously wondering if in all of cape may there was no internet :confused:. then i thought, no way he'd have missed a 500 pt drop. but he did. :dreamy:

also btw...we got downgraded by S&P. inept political structure. :doh:

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks KK. :)

We had wireless internet access, I just chose to not use it for reasons that would take too long to convey. Short version is that I was on vacation. We had three to four newspapers at the house every day and people were wired up so I was abreast of current events which included the 512 Dow drop and the subsequent US debt downgrade by S&P. I was conservatively positioned with a very small position to take advantage of the eventuality that the market would continue south. Still, like I most suffered the consequences of the latest market down turn. Come tomorrow I'll start formulating a strategy to take advantage of it.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Last night I was confident that my first post this morning would be about the wonderful ten miler I ran, but since I took the sloth approach all I can write about is how sedentary I've been. I did get some chores done so I've been somewhat productive, but the marathon isn't going to care about that so my revised plan is to run later this afternoon.

I made the brave move of stepping on the scale this morning and saw that the excesses of my week away caused me to gain 3.6 pounds. Additionally, my bf% increased by half of one percent. All in all not too shabby and although it's going to take a little time I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting the scale to have a lower reading than the 176.3 it showed the day I left. I have the same attitude about my bf%. I feel comfortable writing that even though I didn't do my training run this morning.

Have a great day!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's about 5:45 and the temperature outside is 89F with a heat index of 97. Guess who is not going for a run? :blank: As I want to move some iron tomorrow I may do today's scheduled ten miler on Tuesday which should give me enough time to recover for next Sunday's eleven miles.

I'm feeling very slothesque at the moment and am disappointed with myself for not running this morning.

15. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

:nod:

My long run turned into "three will be ample" after about a mile. Yuck.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Dealing with the weather can certainly be a challenge; three miles may not be very long, but it's farther than the zero that I ran yesterday. I'll be getting up early tomorrow to run. It's as much a mental thing as a physical one. Right now the miles are intimidating me and I'm not aggressively training; I have to run a marathon in twelve weeks and I need to get focused.

Update

Dear son is experiencing is first driving lesson as I type and when he gets home the two of us will be going to the gym. Since this will be my first time lifting since July 29 I'm expecting to have some DOMS tomorrow. Bring it on!

Starting today I'm going to begin tracking my calories again. I stopped on July 14, right before I left on my camping trip, and while I'm actually about a half a pound lighter than when I stopped I think the added discipline will be beneficial.

I'll be calling my doctor this morning to talk to her about my elbow. Since it ballooned up it's becoming less swollen with each day, but something is wrong so I should get it checked out.

Have a great day!

17. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

were you doing anything while off...push ups or dips? also, i was wondering if you ran at the beach?

either way, i doubt the rest will hurt you. you know, at our age, we need to be very careful not to get injured. :blank:

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Paddy, I either ran or cycled every day, but aside from a couple of gripper sessions I did nothing else.

Update

Dear son and I just got back from our first post vacation workout. Given the context it went fine; my elbow didn't complain and there was no increase in the swelling.

Dear son completed his first driving lesson earlier this morning and will be going out for his second one this afternoon. He goes for his third and final one on Thursday and after that the task of teaching him is mine. :scared:

19. kree-kree

Are you putting ice on that elbow or taking motrin?

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I iced it the first day it blew up and I've sporadicly been taking motrin to reduce the swelling. It's improving just fast enough for me to justify not calling my doctor as I wrote I would. Not sure if it's such a grand idea, but I'm going with it for now.