1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The gym had its intended influence on my outlook. Everything's fine now and I'm chilling at home while wifey and dear son are at a friend's pool and dear daughter is at the gym. I was invited to the pool also, but even in my new found and usual tranquil state can only take this friend in small doses.

After some ab work I did three sets of five of:

DB Bench w/70
    DB Row w/70
    BB O'hd Press w/ 85
    Lat Pulldown w/130
    Concentration Curls w/45
    Tricep Pushdown w/130
    BB Shrug w/135

I chose conservative weights and completed every required rep so I'll move up on Monday. I'm not sure if 3x5 is going to be my normal routine going forward, but it was fine for today.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Teaser: It's confirmed, tomorrow somebody :whistle: I know and his wife will be meeting a couple of JSFers who are in presently in Manhattan. It's gonna be fun.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

That is great. I was never a scout, but 2 of my nephews became Eagle scouts. I never knew it was such a big deal, but one nephew was giving a speech during the ceremony, and he said it made him much more condfident and outgoing. The other said something similiar.

This never happened to me on a treadmill.:lol:

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I never spent a day as a scout either so this is a totally new experience to me also. Apparently it's a very well respected achievement and I can see how dear son has benefited by having to fulfill the requirements.

Touché. You got me on that. :tucool: What I found interesting about the paragraph of mine that you quoted is that the obviously false sentence that I wrote and then stuck out did not retain its formatting with the line through it.

5. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a vacation from your vacation :lol:

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I do! It would be very hard for me to characterize my time in the woods as relaxing. :lol: Good thing I'm going to the beach for a week this Saturday. That, Who, will be relaxing. :nod:

Update

:o That eight mile run? It never happened. A week of lousy sleeping finally caught up with me and I slept in. It's early enough in the training process that this won't have a negative impact on the actual run, but it's not something I feel comfortable about.

Wifey and I are going to heading into Manhattan this afternoon to bop around and have a mini JSF meet up. :tucool:

While camping I was mindful of my food choices and portion size, but for obvious reasons did not track what I ate. As I'll be leaving this coming Saturday I've decided to not formally track my food consumption this week either. That said, I intend to make smart choices.

Have a great day!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    'Twas a wonderful afternoon/evening in Manhattan with wifey, dear son, and fellow JSFers Jedi, Dejavued and her friend. After a few hours of walking around the southern part of Central Park (never getting above 72nd) and some surrounding neighborhoods on the west side we crossed over to the east and wound up eating dinner at an Italian restaurant and piano bar. The food was good enough to stand on its own, but what made the evening extra memorable was the piano player. Why so? Take a look at just one of his many costumes, which were changed for every song. Care to venture a guess as to the nationality of the song he was singing when I took the picture? :lol:

_MG_3133.jpg

Today's a gym day and I'll be going there with dear son and daughter once they wake up. :rolleyes: I'll be doing the same routine as Saturday, but will increase the weights since I was able to complete all called for reps last time.

Have a great day!

8. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

when did phillydude shave his head? :confused:

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :lol:

Update

Kids are still sleeping, but I'm going to wake them up so that we can get to the gym. Either that or I'll go alone and they can go later.

I signed dear son up for his state mandated driving lessons with an instructor. He gets his permit on August 8th. :scared:

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Buy 2 cars.:) Didn't know your kids were so close in age. I thought your son was younger.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hopefully won't be buying even one car for months, let alone two. Thanks for your suggestion, though. :D

My kids are 2 years and 9 months apart; dear son will turn 16 on August 2nd.

Update

Still haven't made it to the gym, but I'm going to be leaving very soon. :blank:

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I finally wound up going to the gym alone and due to the added weights had a more challenging workout than on Saturday. That's a good thing. When I came home dear son was mad that I didn't wake him up to go with me. That's also a good thing. He's there now with his sister.

I'll be doing some gripper work this afternoon for the first time in over a week. This could be more ugly than it normally is.

13. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Its nice to see older siblings still enjoying hanging out together! I hope my boys stay "friends" like you kids!!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Big picture, they get along well although they are very different type of people. Of course, since they are siblings, they know the buttons to push to get the other one going.

Update

Gripper work is not done. Yet.

My JSF membership is up in a little over a week so I resubscribed for another year.

15. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

Your support of the site over the years has been incredibly generous, Paul. Thank you very much.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    John, you've created and nurtured something that is unique and wonderful and I'm more than happy to in some small measure contribute, monetarily and otherwise, to the effort.

Update

Gripper work is done. No need to discuss the regression. :blank:

17. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you wrote this. I'm not glad you missed your run, because I know you'd rather have done it, but I really needed to read this. I've been bummed about not getting the miles on my training plan this weekend, but you're right, it's not going to ruin us so long as we get back to the plan.

18. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

amen

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks guys. Although our respective marathons are two weeks apart we're essentially training together and your support is very meaningful to me. This past weekend was an aberration and I know that when the starting gun goes off we'll be prepared.

Update

A fantastic evening last night that was filled with wonderful conversation. I'm eagerly anticipating spending today with Jedi; I think there's a gym visit on our agenda as well as a trip to my local library. Good stuff!

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No exercise today because..........because I was lazy. :blank: I haven't run since last Tuesday's fiasco while camping so my marathon training is going wonderfully [/sarcasm] I do have a JSFer in the house so that counts somehow. Right?