1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

You've pulled through and have been able to support both the immediate and extended families during a troubled time. If you'd been born a woman I'd have a hard time believing that you'd not been Queen of Aesir. :P

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Mom! ;)

Both. Yesterday's run incrementally increased her anxiety, but she's still confident. We had another talk about it last night.

:heart:

Yep, a long run with no acclimation to heat/humidity is a tough one to pull off. I have to keep reminding myself that for whatever reason I've had poor long training runs in the past and my race day performance still was in line with how the vast majority of my training went.

I'll pass it along. :)

Thanks a lot Merk. Say hello to Maya for me.

Thanks. All I'm trying to do is be supportive and helpful as I can be for some grieving family and friends.

Update

My lifting today was significantly better than Monday's suckfest, but still not up to what I was doing last Friday. I'll take it, though, and regardless feel as if I had a good workout. Gripper work will be done this afternoon.

My legs are tired from yesterday's run, but nothing is hurting. I'm still unnerved about what happened, yet am trying hard to keep my mind from wandering to the "doubtful side". I know I've been doing my training and, as I wrote in response to E's comments, I know that one bad training run, even this late in the game, is not going to materially affect what happens on race day.

While on the subject of running, I'm going to find out this afternoon if I've been chosen to run in the NYC. I'm not counting on it as my odds of being selected are probably less than ten percent.

Have a great day!

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Good luck. To be honest, I think they exaggerate the number of people in the lottery. I think they want to create a buzz, by making it sound more difficult to get into then it really is.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope they do as it's better for me.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I did not get selected for the 2011 NYC Marathon. :( It would have been nice, but my disappointment is lessened knowing that I'm running the Marine Corps Marathon the week before.

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. To be honest, it is not fair to call it a marathon, it is more of an event. It is too crowded to be a marathon (40K+). :nod:

If you want to run next year, there is still time to become a member of NYRRC, run in 9 NYRRC races, and volunteer in one race, then you get automatic entry.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Last year over 45,000 finished.

I think I'm too late for the option you suggested for 2012; my understanding is that I would have had to be a member as of January 31, 2011.

The charity route is still open to me, but I don't know that I want to raise that much money to get in.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Late night last night so I'm dragging a little bit. Such is life.

Today's a cardio day, but I'm not sure what I'll be doing. Ideally I'd like to cycle, but I had some work stuff to attend to earlier and in about 30 minutes I have a professional carpet cleaner coming over the house to clean some carpets that are too dirty for the cleaner that we own so my window right now is too short. Unfortunately, it's supposed to rain later this morning, so a short run may be in my future.

Have a great day.

9. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

I'll be honest...I hate running...maybe it was all that running we did when I was in the 82nd Airborne years ago...or the pain it gave my knees...

But, I admire those of you that do it...:tucool:

I wish I could work up the interest, because I know it would be good for me...

Bob

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You have a lot of company with how you feel about running. In fact, that's the biggest irony of wifey running a half marathon on Sunday; she's never liked to run. Ever. And I've known her almost 30 years. Believe me when I tell you that people who know her well were stunned when they first heard.

IMHO, for regular Joes like us the important thing is that we're doing something to increase our level of fitness. Running, cycling, swimming, lifting, yoga, basketball, etc. are all better than sitting on the couch.

11. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

How is wifey feeling this week? Has she cut back on the running the past ten days?

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for asking Jedi.

She's been tapering for the past two weeks. This past weekend life got in the way and she didn't run, but went out for four miles with me on Tuesday. Due to high humidity and a sharp increase in temperature from what has recently been the case around here she (we) had a relatively difficult time and this unnerved her as it did me.

We've talked about it a lot and she's regained her former sense of confidence. It helped that the weather forecast for Sunday should be conducive to running.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The day got unexpectedly busy so the run I wrote about never happened. Exercise for the day is going to be some stretching.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I did some stretching so my exercise :rolleyes: for the day is done.

It's only me and dear daughter for dinner tonight and it's going to be steamed shrimp and sautéed mixed veggies and garlic with some EVOO served over pasta. What's significant about this is that yesterday DD decided to start eating fish and seafood again. For months wifey and I have been telling her that her pure veggie diet really wasn't very healthy and that her protein consumption was low, but or course she knew better. Until she didn't. Just to clarify, I think that a true vegetarian can have a macro balanced diet, it's that she wasn't achieving it.

In other non fitness related news earlier today I heard through the grapevine that dear son is going to be nominated to be head of his unit in tech support for next year. Big stuff for a soon to be junior. I don't write about his exploits as much as I did dear daughter's sports stuff because I'm not there to observe on a daily basis and even when the productions take place he's behind the scenes. That said, I'm just as proud of him and his accomplishments as I am of dear daughter's.

15. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

I wouldn't sweat missing the run, the time spent with DD more than made up for it. Sounds like DS is really kicking goals with his hobby.

16. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Call it a taper. :nod:

17. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Good for DD. I had similar concerns when my niece went veggie. Her idea of a vegetarian diet is mostly fries and ice cream. :rolleyes: But she does eggs and fish sometimes. It's a tough diet to do, but it's even tougher without a solid foundation in nutrition. Sometimes health has to trump personal philosophy.

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Paul,
    Have a great 1/2 marathon this weekend. For you it should be a piece of cake, you probably don't even need to train for 1/2 marathon. Hope it is a great experience for your wife.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks George. As for DS, yes he is and it's really nice to see him so passionate.

I like the way you think. :)

Agreed. This tweak in her dietary approach will have her eating a healthier diet that is more in tune with her goals. Having me and wifey give her guidance about what she was eating wasn't enough, she had to see for herself and guess what? Everything I told her turned out to be correct. Imagine that. :lol:

Thanks so much Shamie. I'm not expecting to have too difficult of a time since doing longer training runs for my upcoming marathon, but I still respect the distance; it's a long way to go. I am fully confident that it's going to be a great experience for wifey and I'm happy to be part of her big day.

Update

Finally, I had a great workout. Much better than the previous two this week and essentially on par with what I did last Friday. I'll be doing gripper work this afternoon.

TGIF!

20. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

TGIF for sure!

I know it might be difficult to explain to wife but I would like to do mile 10 with you guys...:tu: Best of luck and I'll be cheering for you both! Get the kids to take lots of pictures!!!