1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Just make sure to save a cold one for me and nobody will get hurt. :)

Update

'Twas a bad afternoon/night. Foolish decisions about content and portions. It's hard to believe that I was feeling so healthy when the day started with a sense that I was ready to really make a concerted effort to get back to the state of fitness that I enoying being in. Hard to believe or not it happened, but I'm going to make sure that it was a one time situation and not the start of a self defeating series of poor health days.

This year has been one of two steps forward and two steps backward; actually it's more like two and a half steps backward. Nothing overtly terrible, but nothing great either. The result is that I've been hanging out at a level of fitness that I don't care for, but am getting used to and that's not good. Fueled in part by my annoyance at myself for yesterday, starting today I'm getting off of this fitness road to nowhere that I've been traveling and going forward all decisions will be evaluated against a very simple binary standard: is this good for my health/fitness or not? Am I expecting myself to be 100% compliant? Not really, but to the extent that I can raise my consciousness about what I'm doing and eliminate some of my poor decisions the better off I'll be and I know I'll see improvements.

The beauty of a fitness journey is that it can always be started or improved TODAY. So it does. With that in mind, today's a gym day and I'll be going there with dear daughter in about ten minutes.

TGIF!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hiya Jedi. Fitness wise, I'm off to the gym and then it's going to be a day of clean eating. I'll catch up with you later.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow, was the gym crowded. Fortunately I wasn't really effected and was able to run through my routine with only minimal disruption. For the record:

Some ab work and stretching followed by:

Two sets to failure:

DB Bench @ 80: 7,4
    DB Row @ 80: (R/L) 8/6, 6/5
    Straight Arm DB Pullover @ 80: 7,4
    BB OH Press @ 95: 8,4
    DB Shrug @ 80: Only second set to failure: 12,8
    Lat Pulldown @ 115: 9,7
    Concentration Curl @ 45: (R/L): 8/6, 5/4
    DB OH Tricep Extension @ 70: 7,4
    Tricep Pulldowns @ 140: 7,5

While always looking to move more, I was satisfied with the above for today. I think I need to check my form on the tricep pulldowns.

4. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

I'm glad you had a productive day in the gym, and I like your renewed resolve! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

5. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

A lot of people off work today I bet = busy gym. I also have a hard time with isolating triceps on pull downs. I have to really focus to keep my shoulder blades back and not use my shoulders or lats on the pull.

Looking forward to hearing good reports on your progress based on your renewed determination! :tucool:

6. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

db oh tri ext @ 70# :eek: jesus, that's a heavy lift. i felt good moving a 50 this week. damn boy, that's a big lift.

regarding your overall fitness, i think you maintain a nice level of muscle and leanness even though you feel not where you want to be. but you bear an overly heavy sense of guilt about it. :p

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks E on both counts. Enjoy your's also

I'm sure the extra people at the gym was a result of the holiday. Ryan, I'm like you I have to really concentrate on keeping my form good on the pulldowns or it goes out the window.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to being able to consistently write some good posts filled with how things are moving in the right direction.

Hmmm, I may need to make a point of clarification with the tri extensions. I use two hands.

Paddy, thanks for the input and you've pretty much summed it up. It's not as if I've fallen off a cliff, but there are some subtle changes that are noticeable to me. Things such as clothes feeling a little snugger. The good news is that it won't take much for me to lose a few pounds and decrease my bf%, yet ironically maybe that's one of the problems as it allows me to justify decisions that aren't totally in accordance with my fitness goals.

Update

The first temptation didn't take long. I was at a friend's house when his wife walked in with three pizza pies. Of course I offered some, but I declined. Three times. After what I wrote this morning there was no way I was going to have pizza this afternoon. I did want it though. Upon getting back to my own house I had a chicken breast.

In other positive news, my gripper work is done.

8. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

i assumed you were doing the oh ext with 2 hands. its still heavy. that's an awkward movement especially getting it back up over your head when you're finished. i've never dropped one from up there but i often come close to it.

so :dreamy:, to use the full phrase...pizza pies. i love that. :claplow:

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I completely agree and it's the biggest drawback of the exercise for me as getting it back over my head makes me hesitant to attempt another rep if I don't think I can complete it. Even with that caution, which definitely slows progress, I've found myself in some awkward situations where I could barely re-rack the DB. Just dropping the darn thing isn't an option to me as I foresee it bouncing and hitting me somewhere in the lower leg which would have all sorts of potentially bad consequences.

:tucool: And I would have loved to have had a slice or three. My friend and his wife are Italian and they live in a town with a high percentage of Italians so I'm sure that any pizzeria in the area must be pretty darn good to survive. As much of a lure as that was I kept thinking about what I wrote here this morning and, once again, JSF kept me on target.

Update

It's going to be a quiet night at home with an anticipated early bed time so that wifey and I can start our runs before 9 AM. She's continuing her taper and going 8 and I'm going at least 18.3, which would be .1 more than last week. It's likely going to rain and be in the 40's so I'm not looking forward to what I'll be going through, but I really need to get this done.

Tomorrow night we're going to a surprise 50th B'day party for my SIL, sleeping over their house, and spending Sunday there as they annually host a family Easter party. Minefields galore in the distance.

10. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Have a good run and a good Easter with the family. If you get a good run in you'll feel better if you pig out on Easter.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

18 miles:scared:, you have Carte Blanche to eat anything. :) After running 18 miles, that would knock me out for pretty much the whole day. Have fun, and a great holiday.

12. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

omgz don't bite off more than you can chew! :scared:

:D

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the good wishes about the run and for the upcoming holiday.

The run never happened. :( Wifey and I looked at the forecast last night and it called for it to be about 40F with moderate to heavy rain and windy. We discussed our options and while waiting until later in the day to run was not viable we determined we could postpone the run until Tuesday. We delaying, not eliminating so I'm going to still do what I intended to do today, but wifey is going to drop a few miles since the half mary will only be five days away. I don't feel entirely comfortable with my decision, it makes me feel as if I'm taking too soft an approach to this training cycle, but I can't do anything about it now except get the miles done on Tuesday. When that happens I'll be right back where I need to be mentally and physically.

On a brighter note yesterday was an all star day when it came to making good decisions. Healthy foods and beverages throughout the day; my calories were low at 1744, probably too low; plenty of hydration; and I was in bed early enough to wake up rested for the run that never happened. The prize for all this? I gained two pounds. :confused: I was certainly surprised, but I know that consistently making the right decisions will move me in the direction I want to be.

I started tracking my calories again yesterday and I'm going to stay with that for a while to see if it helps the cause. I'm not sure how often I'll report them, but here's what yesterday's line was: calories: 1744, (f/c/p) 23/29/48 with 18 grams of fiber.

Lastly, my to my friend Choppie, the original plan was to run at least .1 more than last week. Minimum, not a target. :D

Have a great day!

14. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal

18 miles?! I respect you just for the thought of running it. The most cardio I tend to do is getting up and going to the fridge!

It's a bit of a bummer the weather was poop though, it's been like that here as well, cold, windy, raining like all eff (I did spell that intentionally). The warmer days are coming though! :D

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Merk. It's been a long winter and a lousy spring in many places, that's for sure.

Update

My decision to not run this morning kept gnawing at me and knowing that starting in a few hours I have over 24 hours of nutritional minefields to navigate didn't calm me down so I did what I could and went out for a 4 mile run. No Garmin, but I'll estimate the pace at 9:30. It was short enough that I'll be fresh for Tuesday's biggie, but long enough that I feel as if I did "something."

This will likely be my last post until Monday, so a happy Easter to all who celebrate and to everyone else best wishes for a good latter part of the weekend.

16. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Happy Easter, Paul. I still feel good after those "something" moments. :)

17. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

tuesday, run your balls off. :tucool:

[​IMG]

18. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Happy Easter my friend! Catching up on journals!

19. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal

Happy Easter dude and congratulations on the short run! It's better than nothing! The last thing you want is to sit indoors developing cheeto fingers!

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Agreed. While the physical benefits may have been marginal, the mental benefits of the run wrere huge! I was in a much better mood afterward.

i will. :nod: I'm not exactly looking forward to it, but I know it's a necessary part of the process so it's going to get done.

Thanks and welcome back Kree
    :lol: Thanks Merk. Yep, it was better than nothing.

Update

The surprise party on Saturday and the Easter party yesterday were both a lot of fun. As expected eating cleanly was a challenge, but I'm satisfied with the choices I made and portion control. I had more wine than I should have from a strict "make only good nutritional choices" point of view, but it was nothing egregious. If I were to grade myself for my time away I'd put down a B+. IOW, there was room for improvement, but there was more good than bad.

Today's a gym day and I'll be leaving for it as soon as I finish typing this.

Have a great day!