1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wifey and I both beat our marks. Wifey ran 8.6 miles at a 12 minute/mile pace. Her pace was a little bit slower than the past few runs, but this was 1.5 miles farther than she's ever run and I changed the route to include some small hills. I then ran another 6.8 at an average pace of about 10:30. My pace was slowed because virtually the entire run was spent doing hills. You know you're a bit twisted when you purposely run down hills so that you can have the "pleasure" of running back up them. :lol: Believe me I wasn't laughing on the way up. All told I did 15.4 miles and am satisfied with that.

We both need to rest our legs because we have a charity dinner/dance to attend tonight.

2. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Nice job to the two of you!!! Rest those feet so you can put on your dancing feet tonight!!!

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Kree!

Wifey is napping and I'm sitting so our respective feet are not doing much of anything. Just as it should be. Even if I should be doing some yardwork. :lol:

4. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

ok. so does she seriously know you put hills in the trail on purpose? :confused:

i'm just wonderin. its friggin lent and all that right now too. :blank:

5. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

running machines!! :claphigh:

6. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Hope you and wifey are dancin' up a storm on those legs of steel! Congrats to both of you on getting into the running groove together!:nod:

7. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Congratulations to you both. Running takes a lot of dedication. :bow:

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you're referring to the minor inclines that were part of the route we ran together I didn't purposely include them in the sense that I wanted wifey to do some hill work; they were part of the new route I planned because I was getting tired of running the same, yet expanding, route with wifey for all of our previous long runs.

I didn't tell her about my plans to run hills while alone. Sometimes she asks about my route sometimes not. Yesterday she didn't, but it came out during a conversation at the dinner/dance. Another woman who was part of the conversation and who jogs a few times a week for about 45 minutes was incredulous when she heard what I did and I think at first truly didn't believe me.

Thanks Deja! You're probably giving us too much credit, but I'll accept it anyway. :lol:

Imelda we did some dancing last night although not as much as I thought we would because were engaged in conversations with people I care for yet haven't seen in a while. It was all good.

Wifey is focused on achieving her half mary goal, but I don't think she's drank the running Kool Aid just yet. We'll see what happens after May 1.

Thanks CG. It's been a fun and rewarding process as wifey continues to run farther than she has ever previously done. When you have a scheduled run looming in the future it's easier to get motivated; believe me neither of us would have run the mileage we did yesterday just for the fun of it. Thanks for stopping by and adding your encouragement.

Update

It was a fun time last night. On the nutrition front I'll give myself a "B"; it could have been better and it could have been a whole lot worse. Between the appetizers and buffet there weren't too many places to hide so I stayed away from the worst and used decent portion control. As I wrote before we didn't do as much dancing as I thought we would, but instead spent a lot of time catching up with old acquaintances.

I woke up this morning with a sore right heel. I can walk on it, but I certainly wouldn't want to run on it. My right shoulder continues to sore, but is marginally improved from Friday; I'm treating it as a minor issue and am planning on lifting tomorrow. Enough of my aches and pains.

Today's a cardio day and I'm planning on going out for a short bicycle ride. The sun is out and it doesn't appear to be too windy, but the temperature is supposed to top off at around 40F so I'm going to have to pull out some of my cooler weather clothing. Can't say I'm too happy about that.

Have a great day!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    13.8 miles. I have no pace information because my cyclometer is on the fritz, but I kept things to a moderate level. In deference to my back tightening up the past two times I rode, today I used a higher cadence and smaller gearing approach. Whether or not it was a contributory factor I don't know, but I do know that my back was feeling fine after my ride so I'll be employing a similar approach the next time I ride.

I felt a little ridiculous not cycling as far as I ran yesterday, but I didn't want to test my back anymore than I already had.

10. kree-kree

You mentioned catching up with people you cared for got me thinking about the boy that was in rehab. Any word on how he is doing?

Update on your mother n' law? No more issues. Feels like a million dollars?

How is daughter feeling?

Heel pain....be careful with that!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for asking about everyone. Really. The boy continues to improve and has reached the point where he has limited function with his upper body. He's still wheelchair bound, but last I heard was continuing to make incremental progress. About a month or so ago he was able to stand with the assistance of a support device, sort of like a walker without wheels, for the first time. Sadly he still can't get there from a sitting position.

His spirits continue to be good and in September started classes at the local university in town. I'm not sure if he has an aide while there.

His mother was supposed to be at the fund raiser dinner/dance last night, but canceled at the last minute. Wifey called her from the venue and she sounded very rattled, and she's not the rattling type, and although there was no hard information exchanged wifey got the sense that something was going on with her injured son. This may or may not be accurate and once wifey gets home later today I'll ask her and forward what I know.

Beyond his paralysis issues, he continues to have trouble regulating some body functions such as temperature control and every now and then his temperature will spike to the point where he needs medical attention.

Big picture, he's come a long way yet still has a long way to go and while he continues to progress and improve his motor functions nobody is venturing a guess on how full his recovery will eventually be.

I have much more positive things to write about my MIL. For various reasons we've seen her a lot during the past month and the weekly improvements are clearly noticeable. She's more confident about her physical abilities which leads her to be more active which only leads to more positivety, she's getting her strength and stamina back, and she's lost about 35 needed pounds so she looks great and feels the huge difference.

Dear daughter is just about there. Of course a naturally healthy and strong 18 year old at 90% is better than her father at 100%. After two days of not going to the gym she's gone the past few. Some workouts were better than others, but it was killing her not to go. I liked that as I'm the same way. As her parent I did have to advise her to take it easy, but she probably followed that little jewel of wisdom as much as I would have.

Kree, I'm going to be mindful of it. My lifting tomorrow shouldn't impact it and weather permitting I plan to cycle on Tuesday. I may do a short run on Thursday, but if there's any hint of soreness beforehand I won't and if any soreness develops while on the road I'm stopping. The goal this week is to make sure I can do my long run next Saturday.

Again thanks for asking.

12. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Is DD lifting? Does she have some goals? I think maybe I missed that (insert skimming joke :nod:).

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    She does both lifting and cardio. The lifting is a combination of free weights and machines and usually the cardio is done on the treadmill.

Update

Not much to update as I haven't been to the gym yet. That's going to happen later this morning. I'm happy to write that my shoulder is much better, albeit somewhat short of 100%, and my heel is incrementally better. Based on the difference between yesterday and today I probably won't run tomorrow, but I don't have to make the decision just yet.

Have a great day!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I had a solid workout this morning which was a return to form after Friday's weak sauce effort. My shoulder started aching a bit toward the end, but has recovered somewhat this afternoon.

15. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

:tu: Good start to the week, Paul.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Jedi. After Friday I was looking forward to getting back to the gym to show the weight's who's the boss. :D

17. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18. kree-kree

Cool pic! I like her arms!!!:bb:

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

It is a great photo. I wish I could squat that low. I wonder what the weight she is squatting. Sometimes those colored plates are not what they appear. They look like 45, but sometimes they are made of a rubber type material, and are less.

20. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Those look like Uesaka bumper plates, which would make them 25 kg not pounds... or more than they appear, actually. Assuming her bar is 45 pounds she's putting up at least 155.2; I think there is a smaller weight or two there but I can't see them well enough to hazard a guess.