1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's an older system as the house was built in 1924 when it was originally fueled by coal. Somewhere along the line there was a conversion to oil. We still have the original radiators.

One of these days were going to have to pop your "house heated by oil" cherry. :) Except in custom situations I don't think too many homes are presently being built with radiators. It's mainly either forced air or electric baseboard. The house I lived in for few years as a teenager had forced air. I remember it being very dry.

Update

I really need to get a new program in place. I did a mismash of a sort of whole body workout and some ab work, which was fine for getting me to break a sweat and keep my interest level up, but it's not a long term solution.

It's nice to feel warm in my house again. :)

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Bring back Deja!

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm trying, I'm trying. :)

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Per our original plan wifey and I should have been a few miles into our run already, but we probably won't be going out for about an hour. When things go awry like this I often get stressed that whatever was planned will be canceled, but I'm confident that it's going to happen so all is good.

Tonight we're going to a dinner/dance to honor wifey's cousin who recently became the head of a very large Irish organization in NYC. Lots of local politicos and the mayor has been known to show up. I'm going to be mindful of my dietary choices and use good portion control. Alcohol won't be an issue because I'm driving. If I used that same discipline at home I'd be golden.

Have a great day!

5. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

Enjoy your run!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Moddie.

Update

Wifey and I ran 6 miles together this morning and I then ran another 6.1 by myself. Next week we both cross the half way threshold for our respective runs. I made a tactical error by not properly fueling either before or during the run and I felt the effects of that during my last few miles. The fact that I'm carrying around too much bf didn't help my cause either. I experienced no aches or pains while on the run with the minor exception of my right ankle complaining a little near the end.

Now that my run is over I have hours of dancing to look forward to tonight. If I throw some deadlifts in this afternoon I can pretend I'm the magnificent E for a day. :)

7. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

that's a great think for mrs seltzer to have done a 10k. please extend my congratulations. :tucool: and tell her i said you should give her a leg massage tonight after dancing.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's a fine idea; I'll pass it along with proper credit given.

For the past few weeks each of her long runs is a new personal best for wifey and she's getting satisfaction from that. She's gaining confidence as the progression of higher mileage runs continues and her enthusiasm for the training remains high. Facing and overcoming challenges will do that for you, as well know, and I think she's starting to move from the "What the fuck did I sign up for" camp to the "I can do this" camp.

After I got back from my portion of the run we were talking and she said that she was going to work from home on Wednesday :madpimp: and that we should go on a short run like we did last week. There are two significant points about her statement. First, I believe that it's the first time that I've ever heard her suggest to me that we go on a run and second she's now reached the point where the longest she ever ran during her few short lived dabblings with jogging in the past is now considered a "short run". Whether or not she'll continue to run after the race, I haven't a clue, but for now she's working toward her half mary goal and I'm glad to be a partner on her journey.

9. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Once you've done one race you go back for more....I think you have another runner in the family!

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I know that happened with me less than three years ago. Time will tell with wifey, but even if she's one and doen I'm enjoying spending the time on the road with her and watching her accomplish things she never thought she would.

11. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

:nope: Deadlifts were yesterday. But I'm with you on the running and dancing today! :dance: You've got me on mileage these days, though. Nice runs for you and wifey.

12. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

12.1 so :dreamy:

13. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:lol: now that i know how you say this word it's got a whole new feel.

how'd the dance go? feisty irish!

yay to wifey getting the 6 in! :dance:

14. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

That's so cool that wifey made the 10K mark. WTG Seltzer family. :tu:

15. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

:confused:

what...spooning in the bed cause it's rainy outside?

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks E.

Yeah, the miles are starting to get big, just as they should be.

When I was typing my response I thought of the conversation we had about the word. :lol:

Dance was great; details below.

Thanks Deja. She and I are no speed demons like Ms. Paddy, but we're covering the distances we need to.

Continuing to pass markers like that is very empowering and I think she'll get that same feeling once we have a training run which is more than half of the race distance. That's on schedule for next Saturday.

:madpimp: 'Nuff said.

Update

Lots of fun at the dance last night and spending time with some of wifey's relatives. The crowd was on the smaller side, around 500, but it was still sizable. There weren't too many healthy options at the cocktail hour and I stayed with the more healthy options. Dinner was salad, an actually decent piece of prime rib, twice baked potato (my one big indulgence of the evening), and cake. I stayed away from the cake and had my salad dressing on the side. I drank a lot of water, but also had one drink and two beers. Not bad for about six hours.

Soooo, yesterday I ran 12.1 miles, danced for about 90 minutes, made good food choices throughout the day, exercised good portion control, kept my alcohol consumption to what would have met the criteria of the Moderate January Challenge and I was rewarded this morning with a scale GAIN of 4.6 pounds. Holy sodium; the food was laden with it and I started to feel myself bloat up while we were still at the party so I wasn't totally surprised. I also know it's temporary, but I feel like crap as my clothes feel tight. Speaking of which, this conversation took place last night as wifey and I were getting dressed. I had just put on my suit pants.

Me: This isn't good; my pants are feeling a little snug.
    Wifey: When did you buy the suit?
    Me: In 1990.
    Wifey: You're out of your mind. You can still wear the same pants as 20 years ago and you're complaining? Give me a break.
    Me: I still don't like it.

On one hand it was a light conversation that I'm sure had wifey doing an eye roll, but it did encapsulate how I feel about staying fit. While recognizing that I can't compete with the 25 year old version of me or even the 35 year old version, I'm not going to consider it inevitable that I can't be fit and healthy for my age as the years pile up while also maintaining a good balance. The past few months have been a bit rough in that respect, but a little sign like the tight pants yesterday will hopefully be the wake up call I need to summon up some additional determination.

Have a great day!

17. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like Seltzer land had a good night (and morning) as well.

I know this sounds crazy but I specifically keep one of my highschool prom dresses for that exact reason. Every once in awhile I try that stuff on. I actually look better in my wedding dress now (its too big) but my arms and shoulders look better in it. As for the prom dress........:blank:

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It was. :)

It doesn't sound crazy to me. Granted the rationale for me keeping my suits is that I occasionally need to where them, but the fact that they can serve as a reminder the I'm reaching the "outer limits" is an added bonus. What's it's really doing is confirming what I already knew, but that's okay also.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yikes. Some reward. Not many people can say that they fit into their clothes from 20 years ago. Kudo's.

20. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

Well that all depends on how you looked 20 yrs ago and how you look today. I weigh less now than I did 20 yrs ago, can't comment on the looks department though:(