1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

You have to make sure the tag is complete by having the [ and ] at either side of the tag, without that...it's not a tag and doesn't do what you want it to.

Seltz, glad to see you're back in it, although looking at your numbers - I'd be thrilled with a fluctuation of 10 lbs and a few BF% points due to "letting go" - I'm not saying you should be happy with it because we all know that we have different standards, but I'm impressed by your ability to maintain.

Don't worry about not contributing too often to my journal, it's mostly verbal diarrhea anyhow. Just keeping up your own can be enough work with your schedule...

Good luck!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I recognize that the fluctuations from the top to the bottom of my range is not very large and even at the high end I can carry it on my 6 foot frame, but I'm not annoyed so much at the lack of six month progress as the reason for it: Aside from the five weeks when I couldn't exercise due to my shoulder I haven't been following the process I set for myself.

I disagree. I enjoy your writing and find your soapbox posts very interesting reads. Keep 'em up.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would have posted sooner, but I've been having internet connectivity issues all day. And I just had Comcast here yesterday. Ugh!

176.9, 11.2, 50, 7.6. These numbers represent my weight and bf% as of this morning and the amount of dietary fiber and calories per pound I ate yesterday. My macro breakdown (f/c/p) was 17/40/44 so I am quite satisfied with my eating yesterday. Everything was broken into six meals and the only negative I can point to is that my calories were a bit light; ideally I would like to see them closer to 9 kcal/bw until reach I 170, but being a bit under won't hurt me in the short run. I exercised, drank at least three quarts of water, and went to bed early so I was firing on all cylinders.

Oddly, my bf% went up from previous readings; I knew it before I even measured myself because I felt bloated. I'm not concerned about it because I'm sure it's temporary; it's one of those situations that I have to deal with if I want to measure myself daily. There will be fluctuations and I can't let what appears to be a set back bother me as long as I know that I'm following my plan. Since I am then I know that I will progress.

My shoulder is marginally better than it was a couple of days ago, but I still have problems when raising my arm higher than shoulder level. It's reaching the point where I am seriously thinking about going back to the doctor. :(

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Those fluctuations sure can be annoying...I weighed in 3 lbs heavier today due to...due to...? randomness? pasta for dinner last night? who knows, I don't feel bloated, but I'm heavier, apparently

it'll go back to normal in a few days, it always seems to for me, anyhow

5. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Yeah could be the pasta. This little thing called stool mass messes with our minds.

6. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

especially because I was 4 lbs lighter today than yesterday...see Seltz...it all evens out

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, I find the same thing.

I've been absent for a few days and will not have any time to spend around here today either, but I just wanted to pop into to make a short entry.

I'm not sure if I wrote about this earlier, but I was having major internet connectivity issues which have hopefully been solved. A technician came out mid week, but I was dead again in the water almost as soon as he left. Another Comcast technician came on Friday afternoon and gave me different advice than the first one. It didn't contradict what the first guy did, but gave me the impression that the first technician did not do a thorough job. Regardless, I've been able to connect flawlessly for the past couple of days. Ironically, we were so busy this weekend that I didn't have the time to get on.

Clean eating and exercise wise I'm doing well. Yesterday I took a bit of a detour, but the previous four days were A+ and today will be also. I've lost a couple of pounds and my bf% is down a bit also; I'll post hard numbers when I get more time.

Tomorrow I'll get around to catching up on my JSF journal reading.

Have a great day.

8. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Good things!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Arrgh! I suck. I made some very bad choices last night and I am really annoyed at myself. Let's just say that I didn't drink seltzer. The justification to have “only one” was bad enough, but I didn't even stick to that. It was difficult typing the info into my Fitday account, but dems da facts and I have to deal with it. And I will. As I wrote in another journal yesterday, I'm not going to let this one flat tire be the cause of me flattening the other three on my car; I'm going to fix what's wrong and move on. Today will be a clean day.

I wound up having a bit more time than I anticipated yesterday and was able to make it to the gym in the afternoon. That's the good news. The bad news is that it was a terrible workout. I was feeling weak to begin with, but decided to hit the iron anyway. Often when I'm feeling fatigued I perform as well as when I'm not, especially once I get going. Yesterday was not one of those days. I managed to get through the lower body portion okay, but really fell apart on the upper body part. I really had nothing left and was at least one rep lower in almost all of my upper body exercises. Still, I'm glad that I went and I know that I derived some benefit from the workout, both mentally and physically. I also know that I'll do better on Friday, my next scheduled session.

One unusual thing did happen while I was at the gym. I had just started my benchpress and as I was finishing my second rep somebody came over to me and asked if I needed help. He saw me very slowly lifting the bar and figured that I was fatigued and about to get caught under it. Without breaking my rhythm I explained to him that I was doing a 4/4 cadence on purpose and thanked him for his concern. I guess there still are some decent people around. :claphigh:

Coaching continues to take up a lot of time. We had three games this past weekend and one yesterday. My daughter's team defeated a team that had some of her best friends on it. Both teams played well and it was a fun game to coach, watch, or participate in. Tomorrow both my son and daughter have games, so it's going to be a busy night.

This morning the scale read 176.2 and my bf% was 9.4. I think that number is too low by at least 1% and is due to operator error. Over the weekend I decided to add a little flavor to something I was cooking and took a bit of skin off the top of my thumb as I was cutting some onions. As a result I have difficulty doing certain movements and properly grabbing my skinfold to measure is one of them. I'm going to keep recording the readings, but with an asterisk, and I'll take note to see if the percentage rises after my thumb heals. I am feeling leaner and I'm ever so slightly more vascular than I was a few weeks ago, but I haven't reached the levels that I was previously at. And there's no way that I'm below 10% bf%. If I can avoid nights like last night that will happen in time, but I ain't there yet.

Have a great day.

10. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey Seltzer... been a while since I checked in. Thanks for your post in my journal... now I guess it's time I got back into reading yours... I scanned back a few pages to bring myself up to speed.

So what's the deal with the drinking? Is it social drinking (with clients, friends, etc) or is it drinking for "relaxation" (the after-work, hanging out kind)? I guess knowing what was going on more succinctly would help me understand what you are struggling with.

As someone who went from 5-6 drinks a day down to maybe 2 drinks a month as part of my recent transformation, I might have some ideas on dealing with some of those issues...

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A quick post. Hopefully I'll have time for a more in depth one tomorrow.

Philly, the drinking is more the latter than the former, which makes it even more annoying. I'm more than willing to listen to any advice you may have, but at the end of the day it comes down to me just doing what I know I should.

Life is getting in the way of me spending time around here and yesterday was a particularly busy day. I had to coach both my daughter's and son's baseball games and in order to do so I had to be extremely productive during the day. I was, but it also meant no JSF. My daughter's team won big time and my son's team lost by a run in a game shortened by darkness. It was a see saw event that could have gone either way and the boys made some big improvements in their fielding so this bodes well for the future.

I'm down to 175.0 and 10.0 this morning, so even though my diet hasn't been great, it's still been good enough for me to continue to lose weight and bodyfat. My macros are a bit off and I didn't drink enough water the past couple of days so I'm going to make a tweak those areas.

Gotta run.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    174.2 and 9.8. It's very gratifying to see the numbers diminish, but I don't feel as if I've earned it because my eating could have been better than it was. Alcohol or no alcohol, the numbers don't lie so I know that I'm making good progress, it's just that said progress could (should) be better than it is. Will today be the start of another extra clean cycle? Why not? Also, why should anyone believe what I write? The extra clean cycles never last more than a few weeks and while I never fall completely off the wagon, I often have a limb dangling over the side. I don't know why this time should be different, but I'll give it a shot; the next week has a couple of potential roadblocks and if I can navigate them without too many poor decisions then I should see my morning numbers continue their downward trend.

Today's going to be another one full of work and I've already put in over two hours, but I will try to squeeze my scheduled HIT session at the gym in this morning. Scratch that try stuff, I'm going to do it because I owe it to myself, but after that it's going to be work, work, work for the balance of the day.

After a mysterious and sharp pain that was brought on by virtually doing nothing a couple of days ago, my shoulder feels very good today. I'm continuing to take my anti inflammatory medication and do the recommended exercises while also resisting suggestions that I get an MRI to see if I need surgery. I'm doing my best to avoid that scenario and if it means taking a bit more time with the non invasive approach then I'll gladly settle for that. Aside from the usual frustrations of not being able to participate fully in things I enjoy the day to day issues are annoying. For instance, yesterday I had to stop having a catch with my kids because my shoulder was hurting from the impact of and reaching for their throws. Still, a short game of catch is better than none at all and that still is the case with my martial arts training.

Oh boy, am I going to get my butt kicked when I return. It's not that I was so great or experienced to begin with and the layoff, which will be three months at a minimum, will certainly not have a positive effect on my skills. With the deterioration of my skills, I wonder if I have to give back my belt and wear a lower one that more accurately represents my current skill level. During varying points of my recuperation I've pondered whether or not I should return and risk another injury and depending upon the day I lean toward different conclusions. Today I'm leaning toward continuing, but it's all speculation for now because I'm still a couple of weeks away from getting on the mat.

Time to get back to work. I'll try to catch up on other journals later today.

13. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

Where ya at bud?!

-bmac

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bmac, thanks for inquiring. No, I didn't disappear never to return, but I have been away for a while. Last week was my birthday and we unexpectedly went away for the week. It was very nice and relaxing and I didn't get online by design. We came home to find that the continuing internet connectivity issues that have dogged me this month raised their ugly heads again and it was four days until a technician could get over here to remedy the problem. That was yesterday afternoon, so add it up and not only have I been away from JSF for an extended period of time, but the whole WWW.

The numbers this morning read 179.2 and 10.0, both up from the last week and really no surprise considering we were away. Now that I'm back to my normal routine, the weight will come off. It's really something how a measly five pounds can make such a noticable diffrerence in my appearance, at least to me. I was mindful of what I ate while I was away, but I also recognized that this was also a time to relax and not be as diligent and to recharge the batteries so that my mental determination would be fresh upon returning to the real world. That's why the five pound gain from my low point of this cycle is not bothering me the way it normally would. Now, if it continues or if I'm at the same place a week from now, it will be a different story, but I'm confident that won't happen.

Yesterday was and today, and probably tomorrow are going to be catch up days, just trying to address everything that didn't get done for the past ten days. One of the items on that list is to re-acquaint myself with many of the other journals around here and I should be starting that today.

Have a great day!

15. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

Great to see you back!

If I go away for more than 24 hours I can expect a gain. I have to eat 5-6 times a day or it spells disaster. I lost 10 pounds from Jan. to Feb. this year and went to Fla. for 10 days in early Feb. and gained back all of it. Ate fairly clean. Just ate breakfast and nothing util dinner. Worked out every day. 10 pound gain. (The Crown Royal probably didn't help.:rolleyes: )

Happy belated birthday!

-bmac

16. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, happy belated birthday. Good to have you back with your batteries recharged. :tucool:

M@

17. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

good to see you back Seltz...that extra 5 will fall off in no time

18. Wamsutta

Wamsutta Well-Known Member

Seltzer, thanks for those words over in my journal.

HIT's something else, eh? I'm getting a lot of reading done nowadays, that's for sure... :tucool:

I'll be reading back in your journal to get up to speed, but I did see something I liked - not allowing the flattening of one tire to cause you to puncture the remaining three. That's a great attitude that I strive to follow as often as possible. And it took me a long time to get to that point - there was a time when eating one truffel would lead me to blowing the whole day off and scarfing down a Snickers bar or three.

Here's to learning and embettering ourselves.

- Matt, currently a fellow HIT-er.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bmac, M2, Silver, and Wamsutta thanks for your kind words. It's hard to describe, but I did miss being around here and actually felt a bit guilty about not mentioning that I was away and giving the impression that I was no longer a participant. If my wife ever found out I was feeling guilyt about not posting to an internet forum she would think I was suffering from some early form of dementia, but I think you guys, as well as many of the others around here, understand. Maybe not and I am nuts.

Matt, the metaphor about the tires was something I read in another JSF journal. I can't remember who wrote it, but it did resonate with me immediately because I was prone to that type of behavior. I don't know that I would necessarily go for a Snickers bar after a truffle, but I would certainly reach for another truffle. :) Darn those things are good; I bought my wife a box of them last month, but I was a good boy and didn't eat any. I left that for her and the kids to do. I don't think I had a truffle until I was in my late twenties, but my kids are quite familiar with them and other specialty chocolates and candies. What's wrong with this picture?

Shortly after I decided to make some lifestyle changes I started keeping track of my weight and bf% on a daily basis and have consistently done so for about fourteen months. On a less consistent basis I've kept a daily food log also and it's now reaching the point where I have a substantial amount of data that I can analyze. My periods of success ares there on my spreadsheet as well as the times that I slipped into bad health habits and since last week was my birthday I decided to compare my numbers from exactly a year ago. What do the figures show?

They show that in the year in between my 47th and 48th birthdays I lost a pound. After a quick dash to my calculator I see that my loss per week is .02 pounds per week, clearly nothing to be proud of. Am I sad or depressed, no because the real story, and one that we here at JSF are familiar with, lies in the details.

Sure I only lost a pound, but my body fat percentage went down by over 6.5 percent. What this means is that during the year I gained twleve pounds of lean body mass and lost thirteen pounds of fat. My weight went from 178 to 177, my lbm went from 149 to 161 pounds, and my fat went from 29 to 16 pounds. All of a sudden I have something IMHO to be proud of. Sure it could have been better, but through all the good and bad decisions, the totality of my behavior was positive and it shows in the results. What will next year bring? Ya got me, I don't know, but I do know that if I stay focued most of the time then I will continue to see positive results.

Where does it end? I don't know and I don't think there is an end per se. The (most of the time) clean eating and exercising is how I have and how I want to lead my life and it is not going to end tomorrow or anytime soon. I've been conscious of what I eat and exercising for most of my adult life and were I to never visit the JSF site again and were I to foresake being as diligent about adhering to the JSF principles, I wouldn't go off the deep end. What I do envision happening is that I will continue along my merry way essentially as I have done for the past forteeen months (okay I'm going to try and be a bit better) and my weight and bodyfat percentage will be marginally reduced from where they are today, but not appreciably so. I'm not putting specific numbers on anything, but at 6 feet tall it isn't necessary for me to lose a whole lot of weight and my bf%, which is hovering on either side of 10%, is close to its lower boundary. Am I being defeatest? I don't think so, I believe I'm being realistic. It's not that I can't get down to 8% bodyfat, for instance, it's that I don't want to endure the imbalance in my life that it would take to get there.

Geez, here I go again spending too much time around here when I should be working. Oh well, it's great to be back and I'm enjoying catching up on the other journals around here, even if I have nothing of consequence to add to them.

Later..

20. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Good on ya man... shows that it's not the day to day that matters, but in the trend over time. And happy birthday too.