1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Went a bit wayward last night and had a couple of drinks, so I'm not pleased with myself today. I find it very ironic that I had them yesterday because I spent so much time on this site reading, writing, and thinking about healthy choices. It's over and done with and I'll do better today. I'm not about to have the wheels fall off, I'm just mentioning it for reasons of full disclosure. Accountability is one of the reasons for having this journal and to omit my less than desirable decisions would violate that principal.

It's another beautiful day and I have my daughter's softball practice in a couple of hours so I'll be spending a good portion of the latter afternoon outdoors. Excellent! That will be my exercise for the day. Tomorrow is another HIT session at the gym and I can't wait. I'm going to get a good night's sleep tonight, or at least go to bed at a reasonable hour, so that I'm energized for the brutality that awaits me. It feels as if I haven't been at the gym in ages because I haven't adjusted to only going twice a week; I think in the future I'll go for a jog on the Wednesdays that I'm not going to the gym. I know it doesn't conform to the total rest principal, but I think I'm going to need it for my sanity. According to Darden's book it will slow my progress, but I think that 's a trade off I'm willing to make.

I've finally gotten caught up at work and am now “where I need to be”. How is this possible if I spent so much time here yesterday? Simple, I just stayed up until the wee hours working. It wasn't fun, but I know that I will directly benefit from my efforts because I own the company. Working late is never fun, but it's more tolerable when you're doing it for yourself and you know that in the end you'll have a strong feeling of gratification from building something successful from scratch. Well, back to the salt mines before I fall behind again.

2. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

I'm glad you can see the connection between your work and your success in your business. Us hourly workers don't always see that clearly. I dream of eventually having a business so that my earning is only limited to my willingness to bust my butt.

Hooray for full disclosure. My food logs sometimes make me(and others) grimace. But that's the point, like you say...:tu:

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    “This is your captain speaking, The weather around Healthyville airport is threatening, so we will remain in a holding pattern until further notice. We may experience some turbulence so please fasten your seatbelts.”

That's pretty much what's been going on with in Seltzer land. I'm the plane circling above my goals and the rough weather are all the reasons that eating as clean as I would like is a challenge. The situations differ each week, but there always seems to be another potential pitfall. For instance, from Friday to Sunday we had weekend guests and yesterday I had business meetings that ran through and included dinner. My weight this morning is right in the middle of the range that it has been in for the past month and my bf% is virtually, but I couldn't have realistically expected anything different considering the level of commitment I displayed. And there lies the crux of the issue: how much of a commitment am I willing to make because there are always going to be reasons not to follow the process?

Right now my diligence is enough to keep me about where I am, which isn't terrible, but I'd like to see some improvement with regard to my weight and bf%, with the latter being more important to me than the former. The big picture is that I have not fallen off the wagon and I am still committed to getting in better shape. I may be moving slower than many around here and slower than I would ideally like, but that's totally a function of my diligence. In large part due to this website I am empowered with the knowledge of what to do; it's up to me to follow the program and make good decisions. I usually do, but I think I could do better than I have of late. There's no crisis in Seltzer land, no need to make large scale changes in anything, no need for attitudinal adjustments, and no need for any more support than I've already generously received from so many JSFer's. I just have to do a little bit better than I have lately.

One aspect that I am committed to is the exercise part and I had another HIT workout yesterday. I was feeling a bit nauseous need the end and totally drained but I felt great as I dragged my sorry butt out of the gym. In actuality that was the highlight of my day as the balance was spent preparing for and attending the meetings I mentioned above. Today I'm going to be doing my shoulder rehab exercises and Wednesday is another HIT workout, but a not to failure one. I can't wait.

“This is your captain again. We've been cleared for landing and have started our descent to Healthyville.”

4. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Late night and early morning phone calls get my heart racing, but the one yesterday morning had me thinking that my daughter had forgotten something and needed me to bring it to school. Not to be.

My wife's longest and dearest friend's mother went in for surgery, complications arose, and she passed away. This woman was essentially an aunt to my wife and her siblings and her children were like cousins. Needless to say, it was a crushing way to start the day when I got the news.

I know that life isn't always fair and this is one of those situations. This women's husband left to start a new life and left her with three little children. Her formal education stopped at high school and she never earned a lot of money, but she worked two jobs so that she could provide for her children. She must have done something right on the parenting front because all three have turned into fine adults with families of their own. With no true savings to speak of she was never able to fully retire, but in the past couple of years she curtailed her hours and spent most of her newly found free time doting on her children and grandchildren and even managed to squeeze in a vacation for herself. In other words, she was finally starting to reap the benefits of her many years of hard work and sacrifice. Unfortunately for her and her family those days were far too short.

In light of the above, what I ate or didn't eat yesterday seems trivial. My diet wasn't too bad in that my macros were balanced and I had enough fiber, but I ate way too many calories. I did get to the gym to do my Not To Failure HIT session and it was mentally very therapeutic, but aside from that I felt very unmotivated all day. Ironically, I did get a lot accomplished, but I really had to push myself to stay focused. I'm sure that was a result of the terrible news I received in the morning.

Tomorrow will be totally taken up with the funeral and memorial services so I'm aiming to be extra productive today. You can see where my priorities lie since I'm here at JSF at the moment, but to tell the truth I've already put in almost three hours of work this morning and it's only 9:25 here. Time to get back to work; I'll check in as the day progresses and try to catch up with some of the other journals.

6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    What you do to better yourself is as important for those you love as it is for you. I don't see a single thing that could be criticized about your priorities. My sympathy for your terrible news and my admiration for your continued progress towards your goals. ;)

M@

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    M@ thank you for your kind words and insights.

Yesterday was brutal, but the family leaned on each other and their close friends and the healing process began. After the burial all were invited back to the home of one of her children. Tears of sadness and the laughter of joy were present throughout the day and everybody's emotions were ping ponging between the two. We ate, we drank, had regular conversations, and had reflective and reminiscent ones also.

There was tons of food, some of which was IMHO very tasty ethnic stuff that I don't ordinarily eat, but yesterday I did. I didn't go crazy and my calories and macros, as best as I could estimate, weren't too bad considering, but indulge I did. Do I feel guilty about it? No. Am I annoyed that the scale is reading a couple of pounds higher, which I know is mainly due to water retention due to high sodium levels of some of the food? No. It will take me a few days to undo the ill effects, but while deciding whether to go for a bagel and lox (smoked salmon) with cream cheese :eat: or the celery stalks from the crudite platter I thought to myself that I'm here paying my respects to the family of a woman who died suddenly and if there was any day to employ the “eat dessert first because you don't know what may happen next” approach, today was it. So I did and I think I'm better off for it, especially mentally. We'll be going back tonight and also Sunday, but now that I've gotten my indulgence out of the way, I'm ready to go back to my normal mode of eating. Tomorrow is the end of the month so my monthly progress numbers are going to be skewed a bit, but that will even out next month when the skew will make it seem as if I made more progress than I truly did.

Today's going to be a busy one. I've already done about an hour of yard work and later today I have a two hour practice for my son's baseball team and after that my daughter has her first game of the year. And then we clean up and pay our respects for a couple of hours.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I made it back to JSF and it feels good! Between the unusual weekend schedule and a busy day at work yesterday I haven't posted or read other journal entries since Saturday. Unless I'm seriously mistaking this has been the longest I've been away.

Like Silver and Iceweasel I haven't had a good few days with respect to any clean eating. I'm doing just enough to maintain, but not enough to make any progress. I'm not sure why, but as I review my last month both by the numbers and against the goals I laid out at the beginning of the month it's obvious to me that I have not been doing the right thing. I haven't been very diligent about sticking to the process and my transformation, or lack thereof, full supports my effort. I usually beat myself up about it, but I'm going to take Ice's relaxed attitude; what happened yesterday happened yesterday. I can't control that anymore, but I can control what I'll do today. It shouldn't be that difficult, especially if I stay away from that store near Silver that keeps giving away free pie. :)

I don't have too much to crow about regarding my eating, but my exercising has been going fine. I haven't missed a scheduled workout in quite a while and I'm enjoying the HIT lifting protocol. The time savings is great and I've seen improvements in all my lifts compared to when I began a few weeks ago. I'm sure my results would be even better if I was eating cleaner.

I weigh myself daily and take a bf% reading and I also keep track of my average weight and bf% for the month; it's a broad picture of the direction I'm heading and for April I sadly report my average weight was .9 lb higher than March and my bf% was down by .2%. The actual numbers are 177.5 and 10.8. The numbers are very similar to November's (177.1 and 11.0) so I've been treading water in narrow range for six months. Kinda sad when you think about it and it really doesn't say much for my diligence.

The optimistic view is that I haven't done too much damage and the pessimistic one is that I've gone nowhere for six months. For today I'll take the former approach; I'm not where I could have been, but I'm not completely off track either and it won't take much modification in my behavior for me to see positive results.

Speaking of results I better get back to work; I have to leave early today to coach my son's LL team.

9. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I think you know problem, try to solve it. Calories count. It is mainly a calories in, calories out. You have the training in line, now bring diet in.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you for the input. I absolutely know the problem and I know how well my results correlate with my diet. My issue is not that I don't have a plan or don't know what to do, but the execution of my plan.

Again, thanks for the comment, you are truly one of the people who make this site as wonderful as it is.

11. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

6 months is a long time. Bite the bullet and try Darden's diet. Note Lord kovacs results in his journal. He is on the road to 20 lbs in 6 weeks. Get it out of the way then maintain or bulk.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, six months is a long time. :( I've been reading LordKovac's journal and am very impressed with the tremendous progress he's made. It's time for me to get motivated get on with the program. Thanks for the support.

13. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Got a bug I wanna put in your ear about working out and sticking to the diet: Working out can be fun and it's awesome that you're feeling better for doing it. There's a ton of benefit. Working out also takes a significant amount of your time.

If you're not sticking to your nutrition plan and aren't seeing any resulting body composition changes, you're gonna wake up one day and wonder why the hell you're even bothering to exercise. That's doom.

Here's to getting back on track. ;)

M@

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:

Thanks for the kick in the pants and feel free to do so in the future if circumstances dictate such action.

I do have to be more consistent with my nutrition and to the extent that I do so I will see body composition changes, as you stated. But even if I don't I doubt that I will stop exercising; I really like it and except for a few brief periods when I was unable to do so due to medical reasons I have been a consistent exerciser for over 25 years.

Over the years the modes have included, but are not limited to, biking, running. lifting, and martial arts. For many years I was on a men's slow pitch softball team, but I can't really categorize it as exercise, just as I can't really categorize coaching each of my children's teams as exercise. The latter two are better than sitting on the coach eating chips, but I digress.

I've always contended that for me the benefits I derive from exercising are at least fifty percent mental and activity as part of my daily routine is so ingrained in me that I go to great lengths to not miss a workout. For example, I'll go so far as to schedule work meetings based upon when they will not interfere with an exercise session. Having said all this, I also realize that it would be nice for the totality of my exercise efforts to be realized and I know I am impeding my progress by not being as diligent on the nutrition side as I am on the exercise side.

As has been the case in the past, most of the food I eat is clean and my macros are good, but I screw myself by drinking too much alcohol. I'll spare you a recitation of the details as I've written about them before, but that is really the issue I have to change on a long term basis. Instead, I go in cycles and that is why my fitness level has been in a range. When my weight and/or bf% starts getting near the upper level I either cut back or eliminate alcohol and when said measures start getting near the lower levels of what I've achieved then I start up again. I'm ready to start another downward cycle and when I do eventually get to 170 pounds and my bf% is in the single digits, at least in the manner that I use to measure, I hope that I'll be able to maintain.

On a lighter note both my son and daughter won their respective games. And I've had a day of clean eating.

M@ and rtestes thanks for your input. I feel as if I'll be letting you down if I screw this up, not only myself. So I raise my glass of seltzer and extend a cyber toast, "It's time to rock and roll."

15. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Yah, sounds like you, me and Silver are all climbing back on the horse today. To those about to drop pounds, we salute you!

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    177.0 and 10.6 were my weight and bf% measurements this morning. With the light of morning upon me I read my last post fromyesterday yesterday and think I need to put some perspective on it, especially for those who are not familiar with some of my earlier postings.

What we have here is not a John Daly situation where I am drinking to excess and doing foolish things, hurting myself and others, and not being able to function my best at work. To the contrary, I have never done anything to hurt myself, others, or my business. The problem with my drinking isn't that it continues to the point of me being a sloppy idiot, but that I'll be having a few every day. It's more an issue of accumulation than a binge. I'm not excusing it, I just felt it was important to make the distinction.

And as far as my lack of progress for the past six months, during that time the least I've weighed was 171.3 and the most was 181, so the range is about ten pounds. I can't give conclusive bodyfat numbers for the period because there was a time when my original set of calipers was giving false readings, but I suspect that the difference between the high and low readings would be 3%, approximately between 9% and 12%. So, the state of Seltzer, IMHO, is not terrible, but does need to modified. All comments are welcome.

During the day yesterday I must have done something to aggravate my shoulder, because it really started hurting around mid day. It's continued this morning and my range of motion is about where it was a month ago. Not good and if it persists then I'm going to have to go back to the doctor. Bummer.

As an old cowboy used to say when embarking on a journey, "Hi ho Silver, away!"

Have a great day everyone.

17. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    The only way I'd feel let down is if you just disappeared from this community. Being something of a pessimist, I'd assume the worst. :p Other than that, I'll continue to applaud your efforts. I'd imagine the applause will be louder when you succeed, though. :lol:

Putting aside the alcohol has been very, very difficult. Finding a substitute that soothes the way booze does hasn't happened yet. I don't know that such a thing exists.

Salud.

M@

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't worry, you and the rest of JSF are stuck with me. My dilemma is how to find enough time to post to my journal, keep up with others, and post to those journals when I have something to contribute. I'm a very slow writer, so the situation is exacerbated by that as well as some seasonal issues.

This time of year is also very busy for me because I am coaching two Little League teams that each play at least twice per week with an additional practice thrown in. On average I'm spending fifteen hours per week coaching, so once the seasons end in a couple of months I'll be able to devote some of that time to JSF. For now, I'm going to have to continue to find time as the demands of family, work, and life in general permit, but as each day goes by a pang of guilt wells up inside me because I feel that I am not giving back as much to this community as I am taking from it.

It's not that I believe I have insightful or informative contributions to make, but I strongly believe that as a non lurker who has benefited from posting here I should be adding more value than I am. When reading my own journal I derive that value from virtually every comment that someone leaves. It may be something as simple as someone extending a cyber pat on the back or kick in the ass, but regardless of the content each dialog helps strengthen my sense of belonging to this community; at a minimum I would like to be able to more often do the same for the growing list of posters who I follow. That I am not on a consistent basis is bothersome to me because there are so many inspirational stories being told here and I want those posters to know that my paltry submissions to their respective journals is not an indication of the level of my interest.

Enough said, I think I got my feelings across. And I would have to have to admit how long it took me to write this. :)

19. bmacntmac

20. bmacntmac

How do I put the border around only part of a quote?

-bmac