1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Humdrumness may be a word (will see if I can use it in scrable). :P Now we need to know what the recipe is Paul. :D :nod:

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry, I meant to include a description.

It's a mushroom and eggplant casserole.

One layer of cooked eggplant, one layer of filling consisting of sautéed mushrooms and onions, tomato paste, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and eggs (to bind), a little reduced red wine, and seasonings and herbs. Repeat. Cover everything with a pretty straightforward bechemal sauce, sprinkle some more Parmesan cheese on top and bake.

3. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That sounds terrific.

:eat:

4. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Hey, I just noticed that you too joined JSF on April 2005!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Ianmez. It was tasty and with some minor modifications I will be making it again.

Hi Maya. I never realized that we joined the same month. :hug: It was over a year afterwards that I made my first post here. :confused:

Update

Once again I went to bed too late. It wasn't egregious, but it continues to be something I need to address.

Today is the three week mark of my spring training challenge, which has different dates than the official challenge started by Ecrivain. I'm participating in that for the support and judging by my progress I definitely need it. To date I've lost 1.6 pounds, made up of .6 lb. LBM and 1 lb. BF. It's a bigger loss in LBM than I care for relative to the total, but I'm more disappointed with the change in scale weight. I know, I know, but the truth is that I should be making better decisions. Today's a new day and as good as any to do just that.

I'm off to the gym, but not before I call to make sure they're open.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Damn, nobody's answering the phone at my gym so it must still be closed.

7. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

:eek:

[​IMG]

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :lol: Yeah, something like that.

Update

With my gym still closed, there's nothing on the fitness front to write about. I still need to do my gripper work and will probably do so in about an hour or so, right before I have to leave for a meeting. I'll do my stretching when I return.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My meeting is over and my gripper work is complete. On to stretching in a little while.

Everybody's going to be out of the house tonight. My kids are babysitting, wifey has yoga, and I'll be at a booster club meeting for the softball team. There's usually an assortment of things to munch on while there, but there will be no cookies, cake, etc. for me. Maybe some fruit, but that's it.

10. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    When I played softball for my bar team, I used to go to the batting cages to take slow-pitch practice. One day, on a whim, I decided to try the "fast" cage you described (85-90mph). The first three pitches, I couldn't even get the bat off my shoulder. The second three pitches, I stuck the bat out over the plate in a modified bunt stance and I STILL couldn't make contact. The last four pitches I watched from outside the cage, because I reasoned if I couldn't hit it, I damn well couldn't get out of the way if one came out of the machine wrong. :lol:

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I concur that the “fast cage” is down right scary at first. And at second. :D :nod: I seriously wouldn't want to get hit with one of those pitches, which as you inferred can be erratic. Had I went to a facility I VERY seriously doubt I would have gone into that cage. It being the first time I've swung a bat since the summer I would have probably started in the ~ 50 mph cage and maybe have moved up to the 65 mph cage afterwards, but I really can't envision myself jumping up to the terror inducing one on my initial trip of the season.

Due to mechanical issues that took me a looooong time to overcome I actually became a better hitter when I was well past my physical prime. Even at my best I was a mediocre hitter, but although my baseball days are far away in the past and I no longer even play in a Sunday slow pitch softball league anymore I still enjoy going to the cages with my kids and taking a few hacks.

Update

Aside from five grapes at the softball meeting last night I had nothing. And had no desire either. So that's all good. I subsequently stubbed my toe once I got home by having a drink so that wasn't so good, but other than that my diet was dialed in.

The sun is supposed to peak through at some point today :eek: and the temperature may break 60F so I'm looking forward to going out on a short run around mid day.

Have a great day!

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

In Bergen County, we still need to boil water before drinking. How about Essex county? I forgot to take water to the gym this morning, and forgot that I couldn't get any there. I left my wallet in the car, and was to lazy to go back there to get some money to buy bottled water at the gym. By the end of the workout, I would have payed $100.00 for a bottle of water. :nod:

13. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

i was just trying to figure out what you wrote about the toe and drink and i was thinking you actually stubbed your toe going to the liquor cabinet, like it was an omen or something.:lol: now i get it...it was a metaphorical toe.

[​IMG]

14. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

:eek: jesus!

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. - A 38-year-old father of two was jogging and listening to his iPod when he was hit from behind and killed by a small plane making an emergency landing on the beach, officials said Tuesday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35885646/ns/us_news/

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I can't speak for any other town, but my water's fine. Man, having to boil must be a royal PIA. Any word on how long that's supposed to last.

:lol: No clumsiness yesterday although I did put a blemish on what was otherwise a decent day. No worries, I was really writing about more for full disclosure than anything else.

Update

I've been uber productive today. I'm energized and effectively getting things done. Why can't all days be like this?

With the sun finally out (thanks Deja, your sun dance must have worked ;)) I've decided to change plans and go for a bicycle ride. Before I went out to take care of some things I was reluctant because of all the water and debris that was on the streets yesterday, but today there are enough clear streets that I feel comfortable enough to go out and ride.

It's a good thing I've gotten so much accomplished so far today because a lot of my afternoon is spoken for. I have to take my son to the orthodontist after school and at 4 my daughter has her first scrimmage and I want to watch it.

16. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    How loud does your iPod have to be to drown out the sound of a PLANE bearing down on you? Or had the engine on the plane quit and was gliding in for a landing?

in any event, another good reason not to go to the beach. :blank:

17. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Yes it does. :) Thanks for listing the ingredients Paul. :tu:

I had a day like that yesterday, it does feel good. :nod: :cool:

18. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

The sun is FINALLY out in Michigan as well! I have the windows open, I'm in a short sleeve shirt and capri's! Love it (its about time)

Enjoy your afternoon!:cool:

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :eek: Another iPod related death.

Great question Phil. Really

I'm too lazy to go downstairs and get all the spice ingredients and proportions, which I believe I didn't detail, so I'll try to remember to do so later.

It's wonderful. :tucool:

We're probably having about the same weather. Sunny with a breeze and my car thermometer read 61F a short while ago. It felt like 71. :claphigh: As you wrote, FINALLY!

Update

13.5 miles on my bicycle this afternoon. For an early season ride I felt good, but as always there's lots of room for improvement. That breeze I wrote about above felt more like much more than that when I was going against it. Still, I felt comfortable, it was great to be out in the the sunshine, and I wish I had more time to ride.

Due to lousy field conditions in the area my daughter's softball game venue has gotten switched three times in the past 24 hours. She sent me a text telling me about the new field change, but wasn't sure what the name was and advised me not to go. So I didn't. So all the early prep I did for dinner since there wasn't going to be time after I got home from the game was for naught. On the bright side it gave me and dear son some extra time to spend together. Unfortunately that didn't go so well and presently he's not talking to me.

20. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

How long does this last? I can usually make both my kids cave by guilt in 15 minutes:lol: I'm thinking probably little longer with a teenager...I could hold a grudge for a might long time when I was a teen!:nod: