1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. oohchild

oohchild Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work, you have better endurance than me. My shoulder was aching the other day, and I stopped going to the gym for 4 consecutive days. (giving myself an excuse :P)

I consulted a chinese acupuncturist a week ago, he advised me against icing the shoulder as according to chinese medicine this will restrict the blood flow and delay healing. Instead some form of heat treatment are preferred as this will improve blood circulation which assist in healing. Not sure to fully believe in that, however i did found some pain relief after he "poked" some needles at certain strategic points and apply some heat rub. :confused:

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:

Interesting thought about the ice. I never considered it from that angle. It makes sense and it coincides with treatments I've gotten for other ailments over the years that required physical therapy. Part of each PT session was devoted to increasing the blood flow in the effected body part to stimulate healing by heat and/or getting zapped with electricity.

Ill consider trying heat next time, but I'm not sure how I would go about it. I don't know if we have a heating pad around. I know you mentioned a heat rub, is that something like a Ben-Gay?

3. oohchild

oohchild Well-Known Member

Not quite think Ben-Gay is more for pain relieve but you can try it for a start. What I got is a bottle of lintment surprisingly I am able to find this in the local pharmacy, if not any chinese medicine shop in Chinatown should have something similar. :D After application (don't rub if the joint is still unstable), a minute later can feel the heat coming on the skin and blood circulation (the skin will look momentarily red like you have done some heavy workout).

http://www.itmonline.org/jintu/zhenggushui.htm

According to the chinese doctor, once blood is circulated in that area, then only can nutrients be fetched to the area which requires the repair. Over time, it will assist in healing / forming back the ligaments. He also advise to up the intake of proteins, which is common sense as proteins are building blocks for the muscles.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Oohchild, thanks for the info.

It's been an unusual one today and I've been as off my game as much as the weather. Earlier this morning it was snowing and 32. What? Isn't it spring and wasn't it 70 over the weekend? Whacky stuff going on.

I haven't been able to get untracked today and I'm not sure why. I know that I had a poor sleep last night, but it wasn't that bad. I did get to the gym and with my tweaked weights was able to come much closer to the ideal amount of repetitions that Dr. Darden specified in his book. One thing that became apparent is that I can't do squats yet.

When the bar is in position and I'm reaching up to stabilize it my shoulder starts to really hurt. I'm concerned that I may reinjure my shoulder if I continue or injure myself in another way because I can't properly stabilize the bar. I even tried utilzing a cage where the bar can be hooked on to posts to keep it from crashing down, but the pain didn't diminish. So I've decided to tweak the routine and do leg presses instead.

Uggh! I just glanced at Dr. Darden's book and realized that I wasn't supposed to workout today. It's just typical of the way the day is going. Okay, now that I've screwed that up I guess I'll really make a mess of the plan that he laid out by going back to the gym on Friday. This will totally violate his less is more premise, but my thinking is that I'll be back on track for next week.

Time to get back to work and get something done this afternoon.

5. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Here's my take on ice vs. heat.

If you have inflamation, you want to ice it to help take the swelling down.

If you have muscle tightness/spasm, use heat to help loosen it. DO NOT use heat for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. If you do, it will stop relaxing the muscles and start tightening them again.

I've had MD's tell me to do each of these at different times for different things.

I've also heard of alternating hot and cold. I don't know what that would be for, or if it is useful.

Hope this is more helpful than confusing

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you. It was certainly helpful and the more I've thought about it, the more I think that icing my shoulder at this point is counter productive. Even when it's aching there is no obvious swelling so I think that heat, which would stimulate blood flow to the area, is the better option. I think we have a heating pad around the house; I'll ask my wife tonight and try the heat approach for a while and see if I react positively.

Again, thanks for the info.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Internet access problems kept me away yesterday, but I'm back. A long term solution to the continuance of my access still needs to be addressed, but for now I should be okay. The same could also be said for my health regiment.

I've been in a holding pattern for the past week and have slipped back into some of my old and disruptive habits. I recognize that this has to change if I am to make any progress, but I seem to find myself on the same cycle that has confounded me for the past few months. I make a bit of progress, then I neglect to follow my plan so I sabotage my efforts and almost undo what I accomplished. I then resume the healthy behavior and the cycle starts anew. The beauty of this cycle is that my progress is a direct reflection of my behavior and I am totally responsible for that. Today is Friday and the weekend will be upon us in short order so, as the saying goes, there's no time like the present to start. I know that commit and recommit are words, but is re-recommit? Only kidding.

My shoulder also seems to be in a holding pattern; I can't say that it's worse than last week, but it certainly is not any better. Some movements are still painful and I don't see any significant improvement in my range of motion. And each day brings it own surprise. Yesterday I awoke around 4 AM in pain that didn't abate until late morning and a double dose of anti inflammatory medication. Today seems better than that, but I'm still restricted. I've been performing the exercises that my doctor suggested and I introduced heat into my recovery, as suggested here, so I don't know what else to do. I'm reluctant to go back to the doctor because I know that he'll want to take a more aggressive approach and unlike some other JSFer's I'm not ready for surgery. I don't believe that I'm hurt that badly and it's just a matter of my recovery taking longer than I anticipated.

It's going to be a big baseball weekend; my son and daughter each have two practices scheduled. My shoulder held up okay after last week's practices and I hope that it will do likewise for the upcoming ones. A key will be for me to not stretch for any errant throws, especially the high ones. It's tough to go against your natural instinct, but after a few jabs of pain last week I got the message.

I'm going to be pretty busy at work today, but I'll be able to get to the gym in about an hour. I also have to catch up on my JSF reading and will do that when I need a break from work.

8. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

Old habits and cycles are the hardest to break. On the bright side at least you recognize these things. I have a feeling MOST don't even realize they are their own worst enemy. At least you recognize your weaknesses and take responsibility for them. You just have to chip away little by little.

Have a great weekend!

-bmac

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    True, true, true.

Yesterday was pretty good. I had a good HITworkout and I've got to say they really are more intense than the higher volume approach that I had been using. As I get closer to failure on a given set my muscles are involuntarily shaking and after my ten exercises I'm spent as I shuffle off to the lockerroom. The shorter duration of the total workout is also a nice benefit.

My shoulder is so so. It started aching about half way through yesterday's baseball practice and it's only slightly better today. I did my rehab exercises at home this morning and iced it afterwards. We have a heating pad somewhere in the house and once I find it I'll start using that to loosen the joint and stimulate additional blood flow. My shoulder is going to get an unexpected rest today because it's raining and the baseball and softball practices have been cancelled. There are two more tomorrow so today's rest comes at a good time.

The eating yesterday was okay. I was excellent during the day and not excellent once the sun started to get low in the sky. For dinner last night we went out for Chinese food. We ate family style and I mainly had the veggie dishes and the offerings that didn't have a lot of sauce on them, but I did have some tastings of everything we ordered. I also had about a glass and a half of wine. Because of all the veggies you think that you're eating healthier than you are, but most of the sauces are laden with fat, so the dinner is deceptively unhealthy. Since I stayed away from them, I'm satisfied that I stuck with my plan.

I awoke this morning feeling lighter than I have in a few days so I was surprised when the scale said differently. I actually gained about .2 of a pound since yesterday. It doesn't really matter as I was happy with with what I saw in the mirror. Ordinarily I would be focusing on my body fat percentage but I can't get my calipers to calibrate and I don't trust the readings I'm getting from them. A while back I saw them offered on Ebay for $24.95 so after I finish this I'll try and score a set.

That's all for now. I'm going to spend some time reading up on my fellow JSFer's to see how you all are doing.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm feeling a bit hypocritcial today. Let's just say that my weekend was full of indulgence so I feel like I should be the last person to be giving advice or support around here. Damn, I can't even follow it myself. If the non compliance of the weekend wasn't bad enough by itself, it was also a terrible strategic error.

We had very little in the way of social plans, so I was not in situations that tested my diligence. I should have stayed the course and gotten myself moving in the right direction, especially because four of the next six days are going to be ones that do put me in harm's way. Passover, Easter (we celebrate both), and a formal dinner party on Saturday are all scheduled for this week and all will be large gathering of friends and family.

On a positive note, my shoulder is feeling better than I thought it would be. The terrible weather of Saturday gave way to a nice Spring day on Sunday so I was able to have practices for both my son and daughter. For me, it was over four hours of very hands on coaching and my plan was to keep at it until my shoulder started aching and then take a more reserved role. Lo and behold I made it through both practices. It also held up through today's HIT workout, but I needed to ice it afterwards.

The workout itself was mediocre; I'm not referring to my intensity, but to how well I performed. I guess it shouldn't surprise me after the garbage I had yesterday. I think it's really cool how there's so much inter-realtionships between all facets of our behavior and how our bodies respond. Garbage in, garbage out. I'm very convinced of it and have no doubt about the correlation.

I have all my workout information for the past few years. Before last April, when i started lurking here, I would make progress with my lifts, but the gains were small and gradual. Recently I took a look at my information for the past year and matched it up with how I was eating at the time. What I saw left very little to fuzzy interpretation. Clearly, during the months that I was eating cleanly I was increasing my poundage and repetitions and during those times that I was not clean at best I stagnated. I have to remember that the next time that I feel a craving that's not aligned with my program.

Have a great day.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been swamped with work lately, but my recent efforts are paying off and I'm making progress in getting everything up to date. One consequence of this is that I haven't been keeping as apprised as I would like about the goings on around here. As time permits I get up to speed on this also, but tending to my business is a higher priority. After all, the bills have to be paid.

My diet has been better this week than the previous one and as I am about to enter my potentially disastrous period I'm tipping the scales at 174.9. It's a little more than I would like, but about the best I could expect considering how my diet has been this month. With virtually no margin for error, I'm going to have to be extra diligent. As I sit at my computer this morning it doesn't seem so daunting a task, but it never does when I'm sitting here. I haven't ordered another caliper yet, so I don't know what my body fat percentage is. I still have the old one, but it's not calibrating so I don't trust the readings, either on a relative or absolute basis.

I've been keeping up with my workouts and today is my first HIT not to failure one. I've never consciously done anything like this, so I'm interested in finding out how it goes. It comes at a good time because my shoulder is achy this morning and the ntf workout will put less strain on it compared to a more intense one.

That's it for now. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yesterday I had my first not to failure HIT workout and while it was easier than the to failure ones, I wouldn't classify it as easy. Still, I felt that since I didn't work as hard as I could then I wasn't doing what I needed for progress.

The whole concept is very different from what I am used to and I've never personally known anybody who trained this way, so while I'm confident enough to devote my time and energy to training this way, I'm engaged in something that doesn't always "feel right". I think this is where faith in the protocol comes in. Since I have no personal evidence that it is "right", I have to rely on what I've read here and at other sites and books that are proponents.I don't mean to infer that those who follow the HIT lifting regiment are not being forthright, because I think they are and I am sure that good results are attainable if the program is followed. What I must decide is if it is the right approach for me, not so much physically, but mentally.

For as long as I've exercised I've always recognized the mental benefits of it. Most of my career has been in very high stress jobs and I've found that exercising is a great stress reliever. Also, as John wrote yesterday, when I'm out jogging and I'm in a groove I also generate some very good ideas about issues that need to be addressed. My idea generation is not as good while lifting because I have to concentrate more on my form and what I'm doing, but all the other mental benefits accrue. Having said this, I'm wondering how I'm going to react as I move further along the HIT program when the amount of workouts decreases. I'm not attempting to come to any conclusions right now; I'm committed to following Dr. Darden's program in his book and regardless of what my eventual decision is, I am enjoying my HIT workouts and absolutely love how much less time I'm spending at the gym.

Yesterday was the first Passover seder and we were invited to a friend's house to celebrate. The husband, who orchestrated the evening, did a fantastic job and made what can be a long boring evening a lively, fun and informative one. There was food aplenty and I used diligent portion control so I'm pleased with that. I had a few glasses of wine, but stayed with the fresh fruit dessert and only had a polite taste of some of the homemade pastries. I guess I'd give myself about a B. I'll see if I can improve upon that tonight.

I'll try to check in later.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The two seders are over with an my weight gain was half a pound. Not too bad as far as I'm concerned.

It's been a busy day around here so far. I went to the gym this AM and had a very good session; I'm really enjoying the HIT approach. I'm exhausted afterward and I'm shaving over 30 minutes off my old routines.

After the workout I spent about an hour doing yard work and then it was off to a three hour baseball practice with my son. My shoulder was aching a bit toward the end, but I was pleased with the way it held up. The weather gods were favorable to us because the threatened rain didn't start until we were just about done.

The balance of the day is going to be much more sedate. I'm tired and want to do some recreational reading.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The minefield is in my rear view mirror and I made it through okay. I did step on a few mines along the way and the scale is reading a couple of pounds higher than it was a week ago, but it's nothing that I can't recover from. Having said that, I wouldn't give myself a passing grade for the week because my macro balance was horrible. Too much bad fat, poor carbs and not enough water or fiber. It wasn't so bad on the days when I was home and could control what was cooked , but I found myself a couple of times in situations where there was nothing available. Easter, for instance, was once such time.

There was a small tray of fresh veggies which I almost single handedly devoured, without any dip I might add, but that was it. Baked ham, fried chicken, butter laden mashed potatoes, baked veggies doused with cheese certainly didn't come under the category of clean food. Even the dinner salad was full of bacon, cheese, croutons, and was pre-dressed. I exercised great portion control, ate before I showed up, and had a clean snack upon arriving home, but for the nine hours that we were there I wasn't presented with many opportunities. My at-home nemesis, alcohol, wasn't an issue; I knew I had a 75 minute drive home so I had one early drink and a glass of wine a few hours before I took the wheel.

While my diet has been spotty, my exercising has been wonderful. I haven't missed a scheduled session in some time, but I have not found my groove with regard to incorporating jogging and the HIT lifting program that I'm following. I did go out Sunday morning for a six miler and my legs were feeling the effects of the previous liftings. I was in the gym yesterday and would ordinarily have ran today, but my legs are just shot. This is only the start of the third week, so hopefully as I get more experienced, I'll work something out.

I know that I haven't posted for a few days, but I've been keeping up with many of the journals. When I read that Iceweasel has made it under 270 and that BlueStream's getting back to the gym and that M@ continues to put more time between himself and his last cigarette, it really gives me motivation to stay with the process. Among many things, something that I need to figure out is how to consistently find the time to read and post here at JSF and still take care of my other obligations.

Thanks for reading.

15. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't want to tell you where to put JSF in the scope of your priorities. I like seeing you post and reading your journal 'cause it's a sure sign you're active and comitted, in addition to having a compelling writing style and an interesting perspective on life.

Gratz on making it through the minefield. :tucool:

M@

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you for the kinds words. And yes, I am committed to getting healthier than I am now and to this forum. And as you stated it comes down to the issue of priorities. If something is important enough to someone then they will find the time to do it. One need to look no further than many of the contributors to this forum to understand that. My problems arise when I lose a sense of balance. An example of this is when I first joined and read and wrote most of that week. It was a wonderful experience for me, but it came at the expense of my business and I had to spend most of the next week or so catching up on work issues that I neglected. And when I say had to I mean it because I own the company and have nobody to delegate this to.

M@, I had to chuckle when I read your comment about me having an interesting perspective of life. Many people have told me that, so I guess that I do and on balance it has been a positive for me. In fact, I would not be as successful at what I do if I was more mainstream, but I would certainly have had a smoother ride that also may have lead me to a different destination. Since I'm quite content with where I've landed, in my mind the short term grief was worth it. As an aside, please keep the short term and long term perspective in mind when grappling with your recent breakup.

Far be it from me to give you advice, but I will leave you with one thought. As bad as it may seem now, were you to get married and THEN decide to terminate the relationship, it would have been many times worse, especially if there were children involved. IMHO, marriage is a wonderful institution, but only if you choose the right partner.

I'll be back later.

17. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    And that was the thought that led me to call her and tell her I didn't want to see her anymore. As in fitness, so in relationships: Doing the right thing doesn't mean doing anything easy.

A good perspective on bucking the mainstream:

M@

18. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

Just dropping in to say 'keep at it'. I can totally relate to spending the time in these forums and letting other things slip. There is so much to learn here that I am afraid I might miss something and I fall behind in other areas.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks. I am "keeping at it" and ain't going anywhere. I'll conjure up the time to be here if need be. Anyone know any good spells to increase the hours in a day?

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    M@, thanks for sharing that poem. I've read some Frost before, but don't remember that particular one.

I ordered another Fattrack caliper this morning and can't wait for it to arrive. Tracking just my weight for the past few weeks has left me feeling as if I was only partly keeping tabs on my progress, or lack thereof. I'm really more interested in my bf% than I am in actual weight, although I don't want to see that going up either. Taking daily bf% and scale readings helps motivate me by giving me feedback that I want. I am responsible for my success just as I am the one to look toward when I deviate from the process and since I want to see my numbers trending downward I know I have to follow a few simple behaviors. I understand the concept of daily variation and that my decisions do not correlate to my body's transformations in a linear fashion, but there is a 100% causality between those decisions and whether or not my health improves. I find it very empowering that I have such control and my daily readings are constant reminders of that.

Earlier today I went to my family doctor for a routine checkup and we got around to talking about my shoulder. It was her recommendation that I go to see the specialist again and that really bummed me out. As much as I want the shoulder to be 100% yesterday, I am reluctant to go down the path speaking with this other doctor will undoubtedly lead. Somewhere in the dark recess of my little brain I am holding out for a non surgical resolution, but I'm also conflicted due to a lack of knowledge. I am healing, just not as quickly as I would like to and as a non medical person maybe my expectations are unrealistic. Or maybe the healing has gone as far as it can without more invasive remedies. For now I'm willing to give it more time if only because I don't want to hear that I need surgery. So, I wait. And do my exercises and hope that next week I'll be pain free and the week after that I'll be able to resume full activities. To steal from John Fogerty and CCR, what if next week never comes?

Assuming that I do heal, regardless of the process that gets me there, I then have to decide if I will resume my martial arts training. For the first time I'm worried about injury and am wondering if it's worth possibly getting hurt again. I don't know if the odds of a reinjury can be quantified, but at a minimum the possibility of an occurrence is greater than zero. I'll have to make a decision under conditions of uncertainty by increasing my knowledge and then prioritizing to determine how important getting better at martial arts is to to me. I already know that it is less important than being able to run, lift weights, or play sports with my children, but what if there's only a five percent chance of my being in this situation within the next couple of years? SLAP! That's me slapping myself back to the here and now. I'm getting way ahead of myself. There are enough decisions that I know I'm going to have to make before that one, so I'd better concentrate on them.

Time to get some work done. As always, thanks for reading.