1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. oohchild

oohchild Well-Known Member

That's great.. Keep working on the shoulder rehab. + good nutrients.. you are well on your way to full recovery. :tu:

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for reading and for posting words of encouragement. It truly helps with my motivation.

3. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

alcohol

Hi there! I've struggled with cutting alcohol, I'm just departing from the college lifestyle, so it's been a hard habit to break. My compromise with myself is that I won't use the Q word, I won't drink Monday through Thursday, and I won't feel guilty if I drink on the weekend. Don't know if this would work for you. My pattern was to reach for a beer when I got home from work, mostly out of habit. Of course, I'm a big guy, so that means I'll drink two because I won't feel the effects of one. And often two will break down my willpower a bit, so I'll reach for a third or fourth. But I realized this isn't social drinking, it's just empty calories. So I thought I should get rid of them. Also, I recognized that sometimes alcohol was my binky during stressful times, so I tried to replace it. I surf the web, pace the house, read a magazine. Good job using seltzer as a replacement, and using your goal for motivation. Oh, by the way, I have tried keeping alcohol out of the house as a deterrent, and only buying as much as I want to drink. But what seems to work better right now is just letting it sit there, knowing it's in reach, and I can have one anytime I want, I just don't want to on specific days because it's part of the plan. Also, my first two attempts to cut back went down in flames, but this one seems to be sticking. So don't give up, and don't flagellate yourself when you stumble. Anyway, I don't have all the answers, but I do feel like I know where you are a little bit. Hope it helps to know you're not alone.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ice:

Thanks for your reply. I have realized for some time that a lot of my drinking is just due to habit and there is nothing social about it. Sitting, watching the boob tube and having a cocktail while the rest of my family is sleeping does just doesn't meet the standard. Nor does, "Oh I think I'll have one while I cook dinner." What exacerbates the issue is that regardless of my original intent, like you, I almost never stop at the first; I'm not saying I continue until I'm stupified, but I've met with much more success by eliminating the non social drinks and moderating what I imbibe during social situations. Substitutions such as seltzer help, but I'm most effective in moderating my total consumption when I am committed to clean eating and attaining my health goals. I guess there's no surprise there. :)

For some time I've been clear on what I need to do, but I was not willing to make the effort necessary to change my behavior. Now I am, and I will be as diligent about doing so as I was when I started a year ago. Once this becomes a non issue again my eating will be quite clean and now that my shoulder is on the mend in the weeks ahead I'll be able to become as active as I was. It should be a great spring!

Ice, thanks again for your reply and suggestions. You understand my plight and I appreciate you taking the time to contact me. The support from the forum that I've gotten in the week that I've been a member has been very motivating; I hope that I can return in kind.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Balance and priorites.

My son went to school today, but two hours hours later I received a call from the school nurse saying that he was coughing, not feeling well, and wanted to go home. Needless to say, my plans for the day changed. Since the cough has been lingering for five days I brought him to the pediatrician who said that he had a mild dose of bronchitis and perscribed some medicine. The little guy will definitely be home tomorrow, but if he responds well he can go to school on Friday. I'll try to hit the gym before he wakes up tomorrow and my wife is still home. It should be doable, but if it's between taking care of him and going to the gym, well the gym loses that one.

I had planned to go to the gym today, but instead found some weights at home, did my shoulder rehab and also threw in some ab work. It wasn't as good a workout as I would have gotten at the gym, but it was the best I could do under the circumstances.

Balance and priorites.

When my daughter came home she had a cooking bug and wound up making sugar cookies. To show you where my head is at, while she was baking I took a peak at the recipe and calculated the contents of one cookie because I knew what was ahead of me :eat: and I wanted to be able to quantify it. On cue, about ten minutes ago she offered me one of her fresh baked masterpieces. There was no way I was going to let this little indiscretion of let 86 calories and 3.5 grams of fat make me hurt her feelings, by refusing it or taking only a nibble. I took it and ate it and told her how tasty it was. And it was.

Even with the "sugar cookie incident" and my inability to get to the gym, the day is shaping up as a positive one. I got a minimal amount of exercise and my projected calories are on target, as are my macros and fiber.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I made it to the gym this morning and did some abs and shoulder rehab exercises. Schedule constraints prevented me from doing any of the lower body exercises that I wanted to, which is annoying, but since my shoulder was really aching after the exercises it was good to start icing it sooner than I originally planned. I iced it for about 30 minutes and it still ached, so today's been one of those frustrating days.

Is my shoulder on average better today than a week ago? Yes, but each day is so variable. Last night was a horrible sleep because it was aching and today isn't much better. I have to come to terms with the fact that this is how the rehab is going to go and not get overly optimistic on the better days and overly pessimistic on days like today. Where is that balance that I wrote about yesterday?

My work attitude is poor today and I've fallen behind in some things that I have to take care of. I have no desire to do them, but if I don't nobody will. I'm procrastinating and would prefer to read some other JSF journals and contribute what I can, but my project will never be completed on time if I don't sign off JSF right now. See you later.

7. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Just checking in to say "keep on keepin' on"... looks like you are having your ups and downs (as we all do) but keeping a good frame of reference in terms of balance of what's important. Mmm... sugar cookie.

My wife is one of those people who has a glass of wine (or three) when she gets home from work. Two weeks ago, she said she was going to stop, and did for a few days, but I see she's back at it. This time, she's buying the little individual-serving bottles, so I guess that's her way of moderating herself. I have no problem with her drinking (and I don't think she has a drinking problem) but I'm not sure if I should remind her of her previous desire to stop (since she did cut back).

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. And the sugar cookie really was tasty. I'm generally an optimistic person so I hope that I'm not coming off as some type of whining, woe is me type.

As for advice about your wife, tread carefully young man. If she started to increase her consumption again I would gently remind her, but I think I would opt for saying nothing if she continues to limit herself to one glass. Of course, I don't know your wife, so take this advice for what it's worth.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yesterday was another good day, make that a very good day. I was a bit lighter on the exercising than I would have liked, but that was circumstantial and couldn't be avoided. Everything else was great; I ate cleanly, my macros were fine, and I went to bed early.

My dietary momentum has begun to shift toward the cleaner side; it wasn't as if I had to turn around the Queen Mary, but I was introducing bad habits into my lifestyle that slowed down my progress. This week I've changed that and I'll do my best to continue. I'm making better food choices and an added side benefit of getting to bed earlier is that I'm reading more for recreation instead plopping down in front of the tv and zoning out on some show that I can barely remember the next day. I love positive unintended consequences.

The first quarter of 2006 ends today so I'll do some type of quarterly assessment over the weekend as well as determining some goals for the upcoming quarter.

It's a great weather day in my part of the world, so I'm going to head out now for a run.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The run this AM was really difficult, but I stuck with it and finished the 5.5 miles without stopping. It was one of the more challenging runs that I do around my neighborhood because it hilly, but while the elevation changes didn't make it any easier, it was just one of those runs where I couldn't get untracked. Insert sarcasm: The fact that I've run once in the past month I'm sure had nothing to do with it.

In addition to me not stopping, another postive and this is HUGE, is that my shoulder wasn't hurting after I finished. I'm excited about it, but I'm trying to adhere to what I wrote yestersday and keep it in persepctive by recognizing that this is probably just a "good shoulder day" and I have still have a while to go before I'm back.

Thank you Amazon. I ordered Dr. Darden's book, The New HIT a couple of days ago and it arrived about twenty minutes ago. Wow, that was quick and it wasn't with the expedited shipping. I'm going to find a comfortable chair, pour a martini, and start reading. Okay, I'm only kidding about the martini, but I am going to start reading right now. I'll check in later.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The first quarter of 2006 ended yesterday and it's time to reflect on what transpired. The raw facts are that I started the year weighing 180.0 pounds and my bf% was 12.4 or 22.3 pounds of fat and 157.7 pounds of lbm. My ending numbers are 174.3 and 11.4% so I lost a total of 5.7 pounds which is comprised of 2.4 pounds of fat and 3.3 pounds of lbm. My goals were to weigh 170 and be under 10% bf, so I didn't realize either goal.

In part this was due to injuries I sustained during the quarter, but my lack of diligence was a large contributing factor. Going forward there are some things I would like to accomplish in the upcoming three months.

Although it is out of my control, I would like to stay healthy and injury free. :-) Of the things that are under my control, my goal is to be diligent about following my program, especially on the diet side. I've chronicled how as long as I manage my alcohol all my dietary concerns fall into place, so my first goal for the second quarter of 2006 is to manage my alcohol. This means eliminating all non social drinking and only having a couple/few drinks when I'm in a social situation. I recognize that these goals have an inherent amount of gray associated with them and my adherence will be subject to some interpretation, but I'll know. And nobody who knows me has ever accused me about being soft on myself.

As for exercise goals, I'm not going to set any black and white ones in this area either. What I want to do is to continue putting myself in a position to heal as quickly as possible; in the weeks to come I will introduce more activity and eventually reach the point where I was: 3 days weight lifting, 2 days martial arts, and 2 days running. I have no control about the pace of my recovery; all I can do is follow the advice of my rehab doctor, listen to my body, and use some common sense.

By the time June ends I would like to be sub 10% body fat; ideally I would like to see my weight go down to 170, but my biggest concern is the bf%. I'll shoot for 16 pounds of fat and 154 pounds of lbm; this would have me weighing 170 pounds with 9.4% bf. This would mean that virtually all of my weight loss (88%) would be due to fat as opposed to the 42% that the loss of fat contributed to the first quarter's total loss. If I stick to my plan and am able to start exercising the way I like to then this should be a challenging, but achievable goal.

In a broad sense my goal for the upcoming quarter is to further ingrain a healthy lifestyle that is in harmony with all facets of life as my modus operandi. Like any behavioral change, the more it is practiced, the more it becomes routine.

I think that about takes care of it. It won't be easy, but when I read about the tremendous dedication and transformations that many JSFer's have made, I am humbled and also motivated to stay with the process. I know that there is no magic involved. It's just a matter of setting a sensible plan and following it. And I will! I've only been a member for about a week and a half and I want to thank all who have read this journal and also let you know that your support has given me a focus that I had been lacking for some time.

Let the games begin!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Just came back from another run and this one went a lot better than yesterday. My cardiovascular system still sucks, but my legs were feeling much better than yesterday when they didn't loosen up at all and felt like lead tree trunks. Once again my shoulder only has a small ache so I'm taking that as a sign that it's improving. I'm still going to ice it after I finish posting this.

If an impending rain shower holds off I have my son's first baseball practice later this afternoon. It'll be the first one of the season and he and I are looking forward to it. I know most of the kids on the team and it should be a good year from both a competitive and team cohesiveness point of view. And they'll be a core of supportive parents, which makes a world of difference. I hate it when parents treat this as a baby sitting service and lose sight of how we (the coaches and assistants) are all volunteers. It takes a tremendous amount of time and effort to coach a team and I get a lot of gratification from it, but I don't like being taking advantage of.

A happy spring to everyone!

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's hard to sum up this past weekend. Most of it was very healthy and fun, but I fell apart at the end. To begin where I last left off, the baseball practice went well. We have a young team relative to the rest of the league, but I think we can be competitive and win enough games to keep the kids' interest. And it also seems as if there will be a core group of supportive parents, which makes me very happy. My daughter's first practice is this afternoon if the rain permits it. Tis the season.

Yesterday was a strange one. We had a number of family errands to run and it was one of those days when we were thoroughly enjoying each other's company. All the laughter made the errands go by much quicker. I managed an early morning shoulder rehab workout, but that was about the only healthy thing I did all day. My diet was lousy and then it got worse. We were on the go for most of the day and I wound up eating a lot of things that I normally wouldn't. It wasn't culinary disaster, but my sodium intake was through the roof and I drank very little water. Clearly a bad combination and that was before I took my son to the Nets-Heat game.

To minimize the damage to my health and wallet, we stopped at a local deli and bought sandwiches to eat at the game. I know it wasn't quite like bringing a bunch of celery and carrots, but it was part of the whole experience. At the game we did make the inevitable visit to the concession stand, but I didn't get anything for myself and only nibbled on some of the expensive nachos that my son wanted. Unfortunately I left my water at home and there was no way I was spending four dollars for one at the game, so I did have some of my son's soda. Yuck! That stuff really is terrible and I know why I never drink it. As for beers, I had none, which really wasn't a hard decision, especially when they're seven bucks a pop. So we get home after seeing an entertaining game and the first thing I do is gulp down a large glass of water. Now, I'm feeling good and after chatting with my wife and daughter I pull out the Sunday paper and grab a piece of the couch. And pour myself a nice stiff one. What am I an idiot? This is exactly what I don't want to do, but I do it and drink it. And then another. Moron!

The end result of this tale is that I don't feel my best this morning. No surprise there. Just as there is no surprise that my weight has gone up a few pounds because of all the salty food I had yesterday. Perversely, was happy to see this because it reinforced the fact that there are direct consequences to the decisions I make about what I eat and drink and as long as I make proper choices I'll see the results I want. And as long as I make dumb decisions I'll see results that I don't want. I'm not beating myself up over yesterday, it done and I know that today will be a day of good decisions. I'm going to eat a clean balanced diet and drink 1.5 gallons of water.

I finished reading Dr. Darden's latest HIT book over the weekend and I'm going to give it a go today. Except for when I went for my shoulder rehab exercises, this will be the first time that I've been to the gym since I hurt my shoulder over a month ago. I'm eagerly looking forward to getting back and to explore a way of exercising that is different than any protocol that I've previously tried. I'll report back on how it went.

14. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

Isn't youth baseball the best? It reveals character everytime! I have been an assistant for my son for a few years and this is my first year as head coach. Every draft pick I made I based on knowledge of the parents. (except the last 2 that I did not know) I'm interested to read about the ups and downs of your season. I'm sure I'll be writing plenty about mine in my journal. (Concession foods after games):lol:

Keep winning the little battles with food choices and martinis. I find that when I mess up it usually starts with a bite of something small and I think "Man was that good!" 1/2 a plate later...:doh:

What exactly did you do to your shoulder? Sorry if I'm just being too lazy to check an earlier entry.

-bmac

15. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Life is a matter of choices, nothing external to us makes these choices. I am glad to see you are starting on HIT, be sure and read and re-read the book, it is concise and complete. It is full of information on a very logical but rule based program. To get the full results, it is not a make up the rules as you go type thing.:tucool:

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the interest. This will be the sixth year that I've been either assistant coaching or head coaching my son's teams; two years ago I was head coach for my daughter and last year was the assistant coach for her team. I didn't officially sign up to be an assistant this year, but I'll talk to her head coach today to see if he wants some dedicated support. Please keep us informed about your season.

Funny thing, I'm not feeling too bad about yesterday. Yeah, it happened, but it's over with and I'm looking forward to making some nice progress now that I can start exercising more often.

To answer your question about my shoulder, I hurt it during a martial arts class. It's a good thing you didn't spend time to searching for an answer to your question because I don't think that I mentioned the circumstances before. It was just one of those unexplainable things; we were only going about 75% and the guy I was practicing with did nothing unusual to strain my shoulder, but I distinctly heard it POP! while we were engaged. Honestly, I'm not really sure why it happened and I just may have to chalk this one up to something that happens when I'm dealing with guys who in many cases are over twenty years younger than me and at least that many pounds heavier.

I've only been at it for five months and I began because both of my kids wanted to start and I figured that it would be another connection we would have. In that regard it has gone as I had hoped and the added avenue for dialogue that it has established between me and my kids is worth all the bruises and aches that I've received. I can't comment on whether or not my shoulder injury was worth it because I'm not out of the woods yet, but I suspect that it will be.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've read the book once through, re-read sections that I was unclear about, and I'm sure that I'll be referencing the book many more times.

I started today and based on some other writings of Darden decided to begin with the Intermediate HIT routine 1 on page 134. I plan on following his advice about work out frequency and intensity so I have my next thirty weeks planned out.

As I wrote this morning this was my first workout in over a month and I'm happy to say that I didn't injure or aggravate my shoulder. I worked each of the ten exercises to failure and while I wasn't puking and laying on the floor unable to move like some lifters after a Jones workout, my limbs were feeling very jelly like afterwards. My next workout should be even more draining and intense because I over estimated my weights on almost every exercise and there was only one that I was able to reach nine reps on. All of the rest were between five and seven reps. I'm looking forward to doing a workout with the correct poundage. Come on Wednesday!

I know that you're a huge proponent of this protocol and your contributions to JSF are one of the main reasons that I've decided to give this a try. Right now I am intrigued and have many questions, but I'll give the book another read before asking the forum. Having said that I do have one question. Dr. Darden's view on macro breakdown is different than many on JSF; do you follow his guidelines about carbs, fat, and protein or do you adhere to the higher protein intake that is often talked about around here? TIA.

18. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I wish I could follow it. I believe it is correct. I am a type II diabetic and carbs are poison to me and have to be restricted. I nearly agree with him on Protein, I set the range at 120-175 gms.:tucool:

You will finally hit the target on your weights and then begin the triple progression and see gains in strength.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:

Thanks for the quick reply. My average protein intake is about in the middle of the range you mentioned.

I can't wait until I start experiencing the triple progression. I thought I was being conservative when I set my poundage for this morning's workout, but I guess my inability to complete the minimum number of requisite reps speaks to the intensity of this type of lifting. Or my being out of shape due to not being in the gym. :) In any case I'm confident that I'll make the proper adjustments for Wednesday so that I'm reaching at least eight reps for each exercise.

Again, thanks for the info.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm now officially the assistant coach for my daughter's softball team. The head coach was receptive so it should work out well. One thing that I am concened about is that some of the girls who have been with him for two to three years still have lousy fundamentals. I'm talking basic stuff like glove placement or how to properly field a groundball. I don't want to step on any toes so I need to be gingerly, but I may have to take a more active role than I anticipated. Some of this goes beyond winning or losing, it's a safety issue for the kids.

I'm feeling the effects from yesterday's workout; the DOMS aren't terrible, but I do notice them. My shoulder is generally okay, but I had to ice it for about an hour this morning. I don't think I did any damage to it yesterday and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's workout.

Yesterday's diet was clean and today's will be also.