1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Day one of my trainer challenge went fine and today I'm done with my required exercises with the exception of cardio.

Dinner last night was meatloaf with a romaine lettuce salad. Wifey is going out for yet another birthday celebration with some ladies from the block and I have a feeling that once dear son gets wind of that he's going to want to go out to dinner. I'd prefer to cook and eat at home.

Have a great day!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day was:

50 pushups
    100 bodyweight squats
    50 leg raises
    2 miles on the dreadmill

It was just me for dinner last night so I had leftovers, which we are now out of. I'm also in the midst of making about 7.5 pounds of pastrami that won't be ready until Monday at the earliest. If I get around to it tomorrow I'm to going start dehydrating some of the apples we picked almost two weeks ago.

Have a great day!

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm almost done with my squats, pushups, and leg raises for the day. There won't be any cardio, but have plans to include that tomorrow.

I went out with dear son to watch the Yankee debacle last night. Trying to stay within my two week challenge guidelines I chose a place that is a restaurant as much as a sports bar so I had more food options that typical bar food. I wound up having a burger with no bun or ketchup (added sugar) and I substituted the included French fries for a house salad with dressing on the side. My beverage of choice was seltzer with lemon.

Have a great day!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Tough workout this morning for me. For some reason I was gassed despite having a quiet evening at home and going to bed early. After the gym I did thirty minutes of outdoor cardio, more walking than running. This afternoon we're going to an arts and crafts fair at a park in town; for step counters it will add to their total, but it would be hard to categorize the strolling as exercise.

Dinner last night was pan seared shrimp with sautéed garlic, ginger, and scallions. The side was corn seasoned with sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds. I wasn't sure how the combo of everything would work, but it went well and was quite tasty.

Have a great day!

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

When you dehydrate the apples, do you first peel the skin off? They say when cutting the apples, to put them in water with either lemon juice or vinegar, so they don't turn brown. I am going to dehydrate some apples tomorrow. It will be the first time using the dehydrator.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I core them, leave the skins on, and thinly slice. I use my mandolin to do the slicing to ensure I get uniform slices, but it's really not necessary. Before dehydrating I give them a quick lemon juice bath so they don't brown. I've never used vinegar, which I'm sure will be fine. Really anything acidic will do the trick and since you're not soaking them for an extended period of time you won't imparting flavor. I'm likely going to do a batch this week because some of the apples we picked a couple of weeks ago are losing their crispiness.

Update

Sundays are usually the easier of the two weekend workouts, but I guess my trainer didn't get the memo. Four rounds of:

Low planks
    Single leg Kb dead lifts
    Bulgarian squats
    Heavy ropes
    Up downs
    Kb snatches
    Ball slams

In between each round we had to do jumping jacks.

Have a great day!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I didn't meet with my trainer today, but did the challenge exercises of:

50 push ups
    100 body weight squats
    50 leg raises

We went to my cousins' house yesterday so no cooking for me.

Have a great day!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day was my challenge exercises without the cardio.

Dinner last night was thick boneless pork chops served with green beans.

Have a great day!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day has been my challenge exercises, but so far no cardio. There's no defensible reason why that shouldn't get done and I'll report tomorrow on what happened (or didn't).

Dinner last night was London broil served with a sautéed mushroom, onion, and garlic made with a broth made from the beef trimmings.

Have a great day!

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I still have my push ups to do, but I've completed my challenge requirements for cardio, leg raises, and squats. Eating and hydration has been on point, but having not had a rest day in well over a week I'm starting to feel worn down and may take a rest day tomorrow or at a minimum reduce activity. All that will be a game time decision.

Dinner last night was black beans with the leftover pork chops from Tuesday served over textured vegetable protein (TVP).

My next book club meeting is eight days away and I haven't started the book; it should be an easy read and the book is only 260 pages so I'm not in panic mode, but I need to get started, which is going to happen tonight.

Have a great day!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day was a walk with dear dog. I'm feeling a bit burnt out so I may skip my challenge exercises and resume them tomorrow after my hiking club hike.

Dinner last night was the pastrami I made along with cole slaw and garlic sour pickles. Lots more salt than we usually consume, but a tasty treat. I corned and smoked two briskets this time and froze one so the next time I want pastrami I just have to defrost and steam instead of waiting over ten days for the process to be complete.

TGIF!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise today was a six mile hike with the club. Very pretty and just challenging enough to make it interesting.

We had some friends over the house for a brief gathering last night and then some of us went to watch our "last Friday of the month band." In about two hours we're going to a dinner party.

Have a great day!

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Four rounds this morning of:

Double knee tucks with gliders
    Whacking a giant tire with a sledge hammer
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Lateral box runs
    Db single arm squat presses
    Burpee, knee thrusts, and pushups on a Bozu ball that had to be lifted overhead at the end of the sequence
    Stability ball planks

No cooking last night because w went to friends for dinner. I'll be back at it tonight.

Have a great day!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Three rounds this morning of:

Kb goblet squats
    Bb flat bench presses
    TRX mid rows
    Standing Db curls
    Standing Db shoulder presses
    Planks
    Leg raises
    Crunches

Dinner last night was spaghetti and meatballs with a salad.

Have a great day!

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    35 minutes of walking and jogging and am halfway to my goal of 50 pushups.

Dinner last night grilled chicken thighs and corn.

Have a great day!

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    100 bodyweight squats and 50 leg raises.

Dinner last night was chuck roast with an onion gravy and the side was roasted asparagus.

Have a great day!

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise was 50 push ups.

Dinner last night was baked salmon with a mustard sauce and rice with sautéed onions.

Happy Halloween!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Took dear dog on a two mile walk and then did a round trip almost two mile walk into town to do an errand.

We had about sixty trick or treaters last night, more than in the past few years, but not even half of what we used to get when we first moved here. I knew we wouldn't be having a sit down dinner so I baked some chicken leg quarters and we each had that as well as some leftovers in between the door bell ringings. We had quite the operation; dear son would restrain dear dog, I would man the fog machine, and wifey would hand out the candy. A well oiled Seltzer family machine! For the record I had NO candy.

In non fitness news dear son got a promotion and large raise at work and today is dear daughter's b'day. :claphigh: We got married when wifey was 28, dear daughter is 27, and wifey insists she's 33. I was present for the birth so there's no adoption issues in the equation and while I'm not sure how that math reconciles itself, my survival gene has kicked in and I'm going with. :lol:

No cooking for me tonight because I have a book club meeting; I finished the book this morning. :rolleyes:

Have a great day!

macdiver likes this.
  19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Fog machine, your family really gets into the holiday.

I agree with your wife, 60 is the new 33. :)

Seltzer likes this.
  20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We do; in addition to the fog machine we have strobe lights, scary witches and such that are motion sensitive as well as music appropriate for the holiday. Even though our kids don't go trick or treating anymore we enjoy having the neighborhood kids stop by. Some years we made the house and our costumes too scary for the little ones so we had to tone it down.

Update

Four rounds this morning of:

Kb farmer walks
    Db reverse lunges with shoulder presses
    High planks where we had to move over eight inch obstacles
    Knee tucks
    Db curls while doing stationary wall squats
    Squat touch downs off a riser

No cooking tonight because we're going to a Halloween party with a great buffet, open bar, and dancing so I'll be getting some extra cardio done while consuming too many calories. Wifey is going as a one of the rare female pirates. She had a notorious reputation and used to terrorize folks in her time; the woman's last name is the same as my MIL's maiden name so wifey believes she's a distant relative. I originally was going as a pirate, but somehow I got demoted to mate.

Have a great day!