1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Agreed, it does sound odd, but taste is the final arbiter. Glad you enjoyed it.

Update

I finally saw the inside of the gym, but when I saw what exercises lay ahead of me I decided to not risk a set back and I went on the stationary bike. Yes, I did indoor cardio. :ohnoes:

We went to a local brewery last night with dear son and had a couple of flights of their offerings. The establishment doesn't have a kitchen, but they had a Mexican themed food truck in the parking lot so we ordered from there.

Have a great day!

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Due to the weird liquor laws in NJ, most breweries are not allowed to have kitchens and serve food. They were trying to limit food trucks cooperating with them last year.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not too familiar with other states' liquor laws, but from the few that I'm aware of each has its own quirks. NJ is certainly not exempt from that opinion.

I wasn't aware of the state trying to limit food trucks cooperating with breweries. IMHO, it's counter productive; giving patrons access to food that they don't have to drive to get before, during, or after the time they are drinking alcohol is good for public safety as well as the wallets of the food truck owner and, to the extent it gets a slice of the pie, the owner of the brewery.

Update

Exercise was much the same as yesterday. Before going on the stationary bike I spoke with my trainer and when I see him tomorrow I'll only be doing upper body exercises that don't involve my feet.

Dinner last night was beef and garlic roasted chickpeas served in a curried tomato cream sauce.

Have a great day!

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I was looking at the pasta in the supermarket, they make gluten free pasta out of chickpeas. Everything made especially gluten free is 2 or 3 times the price of the item with the gluten, yet the taste is 2 or 3 times worse. :confused: The box of chickpea pasta, was 8 ounces for $3.00, a box of regular pasta made of durum wheat is usually around 1.50 or less, and is a pound.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never had chick pea pasta, but have seen it in the supermarket. Yeah, it's expensive. A few years ago I made fresh gluten free pasta for a friend; I don't remember what I used, but I do remember the dough being difficult to work with.

Update

I finally moved some this morning. All upper body so no stress to my foot; my performance was a C if I was grading generously, but I'm glad I went. I did three rounds of:

Incline Bb presses
    Incline Db flyes
    Incline Bb skullcrushers
    Seated Db shoulder presses
    Seated Db curls
    Seated Db lateral raises

No cooking last night because we went to dinner with some friends; the neighboring town is having their restaurant week so we got a good bang for our buck.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day was walking into town to meet a friend for breakfast, about 1.5 miles round trip. Believe it or not, it's the most I walked in the past two weeks.

Dinner last night was sautéed shrimp in a garlic cream sauce served with a romaine lettuce salad.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I was on the fence last night about going to the gym this morning for a group class and eventually decided against it. One on one my trainer, just as he did on Monday, can tailor a workout specifically for me, but that really isn't an option when it's a group class. No matter plans he had there would have been some exercises I could have done and possibly a couple more with some modifications, but rightly or wrongly I fell like I'll be better served doing some stuff at home.

Dinner last night was a spicy dark red kidney beans and chicken dish, taking advantage of the fact that dear son, who doesn't care for beans, was out last night.

Have a great day!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise was two sets of 20 push ups. Based on how my foot is feeling today I plan on going to the gym on Saturday.

Dinner last night was lasagna with a side salad.

Have a great day!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Tomorrow we're leaving for a week at the beach so the latter half of today will be spent packing and taking care of last minute things. We're spending the week with some of wifey's family and our tradition is for me to cook dinner for everyone the first night. So I will. Unlike years past when I would cycle and run every day I plan on being sedentary to ensure that my foot continues to heal and that I'll be good to go upon returning home. That said, we're bringing down TRX straps and an ab wheel and I also plan on doing push ups so there will be some activity on my part.

Dinner last night was thinly sliced chuck roast that I had in a sous vide bath for many hours so that it came out uber tender and then seared. It was served with a mushroom gravy and the side was corn on the cob. I'm not sure about dinner tonight, but the menu for tomorrow night will be hot crabmeat dip with crackers, pasta and roasted vegetable salad, mussels with garlic and parsley, and baguettes. Dessert will be two types of pie with ice cream.

TGIF!

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Have a great vacation. This weekend should be really nice down the shore.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Mac. Yes, the forecast is a good one. I just dropped off dear dog at the kennel and am about to start packing. Wifey is dropping hints about going out to dinner tonight and since I don't have any dinner concept it very well may happen. File under "Starting the Vacation Early". :-)

Dear son will be joining us tomorrow; he got out of work early and is currently in route to visit a friend from college who lives in northern DE. He, she, and a couple of other college friends will be going to an Octoberfest tonight and after spending the night at his friend's apartment will meet us at the beach.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I squeezed in my first workout in a while and my last until I return from vacation. I had to make some modifications so that I wasn't bending my foot, but in the end I had a good workout and didn't do any damage. While I won't be running or cycling while away I intend to do something every day. We're bringing down our TRX straps, an ab wheel, and I also plan on doing pushups.

We wound up going to dinner last night at one of my favorite local restaurants; it's a Mediterranean bistro, casual, family owned and operated, nice portions, good prices, and high quality. I had a falafel pita (something I rarely order, but hey I was sorta on vacation) with a small salad and wifey had a lamb gyro. Dinner, including tax and tip and two seltzers came to $28, not too shabby. As an added bonus we walked to and fro.

The car is packed with the exception of the cooler and we'll be heading to the beach in about an hour. I likely won't be online while away so best wishes for everyone to have a fine week and I'll post either next Saturday or Sunday.

Have a great day!

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    'Twas a very fine week away. As planned I stayed off my foot as much as possible and most days did some combination of pushups and TRX exercises with a dollop of ab wheel rollouts thrown in the mix a couple of times. My diet was reasonable and my weight gain for the week was 1.7 pounds, which includes going to a friend's birthday party shortly after we got home.

My foot seems to be healing fine and I have a follow up visit with my doctor this Friday. Yesterday was our monthly hiking club hike and decided to err on the cautious side because it was described as rocky and rugged and while I drove wifey there I just hung out for a few hours and read. Of course I participated in the post hike lunch. :-)

While we were away we were informed that big changes are taking place at our gym. Management is getting rid of their most experienced trainers in a very unceremonious manner which includes our trainer, who happens to be the highest revenue generator for the facility. It's going to be a couple, at least, months of transition, but as a start he has access to a facility that it is probably a couple of tenths of a mile closer to the house. My first one on one with him was earlier this morning; small place that will be fine for solo training sessions, but can't accommodate his group classes. This past weekend he held those at a nearby park, but once the weather turns that's not going to be an option. Wifey and I have spoken to him and it was gratifying to know that most of his clients will be migrating with him. He's a true professional and if everyone was as good as he is in their profession the world would work a whole lot better.

My workout with him this morning was three rounds of:

Kb golbet squats
    TRX tabletop rows
    Walkouts with a push up
    Db bench rows
    Up downs
    Leg raises

I struggled, but got through it.

Have a great day!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm going to have to work on a new exercise schedule now that things have changed and, most importantly, I have to start doing some more cardio. The current level of my endurance is pitiful. Sooo, with that out of the way I have not done much today except walking less than two miles round trip to meet a friend for breakfast. :rolleyes:

Dinner last night was chicken thighs grilled with BBQ sauce and the side was a garden salad. I believe we may have one more cucumber that we can pick and eat before the season is done. To start the transition to Fall I went with wifey to a garden supply store and bought mums.

Have a great day!

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I took dear dog for a three mile walk this morning and am planning to do push ups this afternoon.

Crazy weather in my area; a high of 90F today and 60F tomorrow. :eek:

Dinner last night was smoked meat loaf with a side of corn on the cob.

Have a great day!

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I did two miles, mostly walking, on the treadmill. Meh.

Dinner last night pasta with toasted sesame seeds, assorted veggies, and coated with sesame oil.

Have great day!

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's going to be another no exercise Friday. Not to sound like a broken record, but with the changes at my gym I need to hammer out a new schedule. One thing I'm sure of is that I have to increase my cardio; not necessarily to my marathon running and century bike ride levels, but you never know.

Dinner last night was breaded chicken breasts that I sous vided, coated, and baked. The sides were corn as well as beets.
    No cooking tonight because we're having an early dinner with my MIL and then meeting some friends to go to a concert in town. In other food news, last week dear son asked me to make some more pastrami and phase one, which took seven days, is complete and if I stay on schedule it should be ready for consumption on Monday.

TGIF!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yesterday wifey and I had our first garage boot camp workout. It was a tough one for sure. Some familiar exercises such as squats, weighted step ups, heavy rope, planks, different ab stuff, wall ball slams and a slew of new exercises involving a sled, a prowler, a sledge hammer amongst other pieces of equipment. To varying degrees everyone survived and after going to our respective homes to clean up a bunch of us went apple picking. Lots of laughs, we got to listen to some good music after our apple bags were filled, and then we went to dinner at a restaurant close to the orchard. I was exhausted when I came home and a smart person would have just gone to bed, but someone :rolleyes: decided to stay up "just for a little bit" to watch some playoff baseball. An hour and half later I came to my senses and went to bed, which meant I got just enough sleep to not be really tired when awoke this morning.

This morning wifey and I were back for another garage boot camp workout. Some new exercises, some old ones and just a tad easier than Saturday. It's nice enough to go on a walk this afternoon, but I'm waiting on someone to come and look at my boiler because the heat is not turning on. Fortunately it's not frigid cold, but it needs to be addressed and after spending about an hour futzing around and trying not to do more harm than good I called a service person when I got back from the gym.

The corned beef I wrote about a couple of days ago will be going in my Big Green Egg and I'll smoke it for about 6 hours. The finishing touches will be done tomorrow and we'll likely have it for dinner that night.

Have a great day!

macdiver likes this.
  19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I turned on my heat yesterday, and was relieved to hear it go on. I turned it on earlier than I planned, just in case there was an issue.

Good luck.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

My wife just asked if we should turn our heat on. I'm going to wait a few more days right now the house is warmer than what I keep the heat set at when we are home and awake. I'll turn it on once it drops below 65 when I wake up. I keep it at 65 when we are away or asleep and 68 when home and awake. Currently it is 71 in the house.

#20780 macdiver, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019