1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We'll be heading north in about 60 minutes. We'll be back Sunday night so no posting until Monday, but be assured that I'll be getting plenty of functional exercise while wearing my moving man hat.

Dinner last night was salmon served with steamed broccoli.

TGIF!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Irony

After many hours of moving furniture and boxes without injury, last night after getting home from dear daughter's and her BF's first apartment together (more on that later) wifey and I were watching a movie and at some point I stood up to go to the bathroom which was about a dozen feet away. Just as I got to the door my leg gave out ??? and while I had the reaction time to ease my fall by grabbing the door frame I went down. Somehow during the fall I slit open my right pinkie toe and unbeknownst to me until wifey pointed out the blood I was bleeding profusely. Mind you this was on carpet and we couldn't find anything that would cause a cut. Wifey thought I may need a stitch or two, but when we went to the emergency care center this afternoon we were told that if we had come in last night and didn't take some of the steps that we thought would help I would have needed at least five. I'm in no pain, but the toe is turning black and blue and is starting to swell and since I'm bandaged I can't put on a proper shoe which means I'll have to make a game time decision about removing the bandages for a short while and going to the gym on Wednesday. Before the doctor visit l made it to the gym this morning and did three rounds of:

Db squats
    Lat pulldowns
    Db double squat presses
    Seated cable rows
    Push ups
    Cable triceps pushdowns
    Cable curls

I held my own for the first two rounds, but faded on some of the exercises on round three. My effort was as strong, but the results were sub par.

Apartment News

All aspects of the move went well including the drives to and fro. Their place is unbelievable; fully furnished with all kitchen and laundry appliances, a view of Boston Harbor looking upon the skyline of downtown Boston, and lots of storage space. The building amenities include full concierge service, indoor pool and hot tub, an outdoor roof deck with grills and firepits, a well equipped gym, a separate spin room with Peloton machines, a yoga room, a fully stocked arts and crafts room, an indoor doggie day care room, an outdoor doggie park with a doggie pool, a game room, a card room, and a club room. There's probably more, but I'm sure the point is made that they're not slumming it.

TGIF!

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Ouch.

Did you end up getting any stitches?

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Now when your dog wants to go on vacation, you know where to send it. :)

Toe story sounded painful.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No stitches because I was past the twelve hour window and we but too much anti bacterial medication on it so the wound was too soft.

Regarding dear dog, now all I have to do is convince dear daughter and her BF to take care of her.

Mac and Shamie, I'm in no pain. There was some minor throbbing that night, but nothing since and I haven't taken any OTC pain meds. There was some slight swelling and the start of things turning black and blue yesterday afternoon, but none of that is apparent today. Odd, but I'm not complaining.

Update

I'm minimizing activity today although I may do some exercises at home that don't involve putting pressure on my foot. I doubt I'll go to the gym until Saturday, but that will be based on how the healing process is going. Right now, with all the bandages I couldn't fit into a sneaker, but if the wound is healing okay I may forgo the dressings for an hour or so in order to fit into proper gym footwear and then rebandage when I get home.

Dinner last night was steamed mussels with garlic and parsley, toasted baguette for dipping, and a romaine lettuce salad.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I did forty pushups yesterday, but that was it.

I went for a follow up visit to the doctor this morning and all looks good, but it's going to take a long time to heal. I was told to keep off of my foot as much as possible and make sure I keep the wound clean. Beyond that there's not much that can be done. My plan is to go to the gym on Saturday, but will not do anything that involve jumping, shuffling, etc.

Dinner last night was burgers with roasted chickpeas and garlic.

Have a great day!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day will be pushups and some core exercises.

Dinner last night was chicken thighs and dark red kidney beans served over kasha. No cooking tonight because we're going to a friend's retirement party.

Have a great day.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Another relatively sedentary day. I was on my feet and walked too much last night so my foot is somewhat less happy than yesterday, but I still plan on trying to squeeze into a sneaker tomorrow and hit the gym.

No cooking tonight because we're going to my MIL's house.

TGIF!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I made an executive decision this morning to not go to the gym and instead stay off my feet. Ugh! I'll figure out something to do at home.

Dear son comes home from California tonight and we're picking him up.

Have a great day!

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Staying of the foot is a good idea so the tire heals quickly. You are in good shape so morning a few workouts won't matter in the long term.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm agree and am trying to take the long term approach which is why I changed my mind about stressing the injury this morning.

Update

No gym today; we'll see about tomorrow.

Dinner last night was top round steak, corn on the cob, and a salad.

Have a great day!

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Maybe you could wear a pair of sandals, and at least get on a stationary bike. Regardless, it probably will be history pretty soon, and you will back to your normal workouts.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Wow, I really need to proofread my posts. :o

Quick translation

tire = toe

morning = missing.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I could do that, but I'm taking the very cautious approach just staying off it. Given how things are going I'm going to test it later this week.

I knew what you meant and have been guilty of the same more than once.

Update

As I wrote above in response to Shamie, I did not see the inside of the gym today. Very little home activity also. Soon, soon the narrative is going to change.

We had an impromptu dinner with friends last night with the central theme being mussels. I cooked my version and someone else cooked theirs and we compared notes. To a very large degree they were the same, but we each took away some good tweaks to make our respective dishes better. Fun time.

Have a great day!

macdiver likes this.
  15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm probably good enough to hit the gym tomorrow, but will wait. When I was younger I would have decided to go, but now my longer healing time and a higher propensity to get injured are making me more cautious. As Macdiver wrote a couple of days ago a little extra time away isn't going to matter in the long run.

Dinner last night was pizza and antipasto. Since he came back from his Cali vacation dear son has been asking for it. When I told him on his commute home what we were having he immediately assumed I made the pie and was a bit disappointed when I told him that I bought it. I'll take that as a compliment.

Have a great day!

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No need to write that I didn't see the inside of the gym today, but I just did that. :)

As always a tough day given what took place eighteen years ago.

Dinner last night was chicken thighs that I sous vided and then lathered in BBQ sauce and grilled. The side was green beans.

Have a great day!

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I like the wording, it sounds appetizing.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The two other people at the table enjoyed it as did I.

Update

Since I plan on going to the gym on Saturday, hopefully today will be the last time I stay away from the facility due to injury for a very long time. I'm definitley not 100%, but am “good enough” and while I plan on making some accommodations this weekend I should be good to go. That written, wifey took a look at it and said that while I'm healing it's still an open wound. For unrelated reasons I'm going to my GP tomorrow and I'll ask her to look at it.

Dinner last night was pastrami served on rye bread with cole slaw and pickles. Wifey thought this batch was my best.

In non fitness news, while at the market today I saw two signs that the season is about to change. First Mallomars were on the shelves and second there were pumpkins for sale. A tad early for the latter methinks.

Have a great day!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I was at the doctor today for a routine check up and blood work and while there I had her look at my toe. She said it was nasty and that my story didn't add up, but eventually accepted what I told her. There isn't much that can be done about my foot and to the extent that I take precautions to not re-open it I can go to the gym. What she was most concerned about is why it happened and she suggested I see a neurologist. I probably will, but am going to sit on the suggestion.

I'm looking forward to going to the gym tomorrow and, as I wrote earlier, will make some accommodations where necessary.

Dinner last night was baked salmon with a side of steamed spinach with sautéed garlic.

TGIF!

20. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    FYI, there is a restaurant here that serves mussels prepared with sambuca, garlic, shallots, bleu cheese, and a touch of cream. I know the combination of sambuca and blue cheese sounds odd, but it is definitely delicious.