1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I promise, I really promise the posts about boxes and such is coming to an end. As has been the situation the past few days my exercise today has been functional and we should be about 90% done in a few hours.

Being of a certain age and liking music I own thousands of vinyl albums and CD's. They're heavy and take up a lot of room and it's taken many hours to pack most of them, move them out of the effected areas, and then bring them back into the house and unpack them. Earlier today, as I'm in the midst of this, it dawned on me that were I of a different generation and needed to move the same amount of music I would just have to put my phone in my pocket. Yeah, the quality can't touch what comes through my speakers, but there's something to be said for the portability.

Final preparations for our party on Sunday are done. Final total is 74 people plus a few infants. On Saturday dear daughter's boyfriend's family is coming to the house for the first time; I'll be serving lunch, we have some activities planned, and dear daughter insisted we take them to dinner at a restaurant that supposedly has decent food and fun activities on the premises so we will. Ironically, neither wifey nor I have ever been there.

Dinner last night was a top round that I stuck in a sous vide bath for about 4.5 hours, shocked, and then cooked with red bell peppers in a combination of sesame and canola oils, garlic, and some other spices, and served it over brown rice.

Have a great day!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I won't write what my exercise for the day has been, but it ends today. :D

Today is dear son's b'day and our family tradition is the birthday person gets to choose a restaurant. It was no surprise that we're going for sushi tonight.

TGIF!

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Wow, that was fast.

While reading about your albums, I was thinking that today it would all be on your phone.

Good thing the floor was finished on time just in time for your company.

Have a GREAT party and pass my congratulations on to your daughter.

I'm willing to bet you are more happy about being done than those of us reading about it.

And Happy Birthday to your son.[/QUOTE]

Seltzer likes this.
  4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    [/QUOTE]

Indeed about the moving! And thanks for the b'day wishes and congrats.

Update

A very mediocre workout yesterday, but I showed up so there's something to be said for that.

Pretty much the balance of the day was spent entertaining dear daughter's BF's family. Appys and lunch were assorted dips, burgers, and a pasta salad. We went to dinner at a place DD and DS suggested.

No workout today.

Have a great day!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The joint graduation and birthday party went great; the venue really came through. After that we had about a ten people back to the house for a few hours.

I was at the gym this morning for three rounds of:

Flat bench Bb presses
    Flat bench Db flyes
    Flat bench skull crushers
    Standing Bb curls
    Pushups
    Low planks

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise today was walking; about two miles in total.

Dinner last night was chicken thighs served with a salad.

Have a great day!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I forgot to hit the "Post Reply" button yesterday.

Minimal exercise today, just 25 pushups and 20 crunches. Totally mental as I made a decision last night not to go to the gym for honestly no good reason. Lame, but true.

Wifey and I have been inordinately tired of late and while some can be blamed on all the physicality of getting our floors done I'm beginning to think that it's also due to a higher than normal stress level weighing on us due to the combination of doing the floors, hosting this past weekend's party, and get everything ready for dear daughter to move in a few weeks. I could be totally wrong about my assessment, but for whatever reason we're not at the high level of energization that we normally are.

We're in the midst of a loud lightening and thunderstorm that is scaring dear dog to no end no matter how much I try to comfort her. :(

Dinner last night was meatloaf cooked on my BGE with hickory smoke and the side was a salad.

Have a great day!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Four rounds of:

Forward box runs
    Push ups
    Kb sumo deadlifts
    Glider mountain climbers
    Bosu ball squats
    Heavy ropes
    TRX rows
    Standing twists using extension bands

Dinner last night was pork and vegetable stir fry.

Have a great day!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Functional exercise is on tap for today. While doing the floors we purged a lot and the charity we're donating everything to is coming tomorrow morning so I'm going to put everything outside later this afternoon because we're going out tonight and I don't want to move everything before the gym. Nothing is terribly heavy, but none of the dozen boxes and bags are the first floor so I'll either be bring stuff up from the basement or down from the second floor. Tonight dear daughter is supposed to pick up a small couch, a 10x12 rug, and few other items so after the gym tomorrow I'll be helping unload the truck and bring everything either into the garage or the house.

Dinner last night was a shellfish medley of mussels, crab, and shrimp served in a garlic seafood broth. The accompaniment was a baguette that was used for dipping into the broth. Easy and tasty so I'll be making it again.

No cooking tonight because we're going to a BBQ. The couple own a pool so there may be some swimming involved.

TGIF!

macdiver likes this.
  10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Once again when I write prospectively about evening plans they don't happen. In the late afternoon wifey was informed that last night's BBQ/pool party was for ladies only so, needless to write, my plans changed. Instead dear daughter and I loaded a truck with the aforementioned couch and rug, as well as a book case, two end tables, and a coffee table. Most is now in the house and the rest we left until tomorrow. Once that task was complete the kids and I went to a new for us restaurant that had underwhelming food, so-so service, and too high of a price point. Guess where we won't be going again?

This morning started with getting the boxes and bags out of the house for the charity to pick up and then it was off to the gym for four rounds of:

Single Kb squat presses
    Lateral sprints
    Heavy ropes
    Double knee tucks with gliders
    Knee thrusts while balancing on a Bosu ball
    TRX table top rows
    Sliders
    Db reverse lunges off a step

Wifey and I will probably go for a walk with dear dog later today and then either head to the beach or a lake.

Have a great day!

11. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Your seafood medley sounds delicious.

We find that a lot restaurants fall into that category of overpriced, mediocre food. I think it is a disadvantage of knowing how to cook. I can often make the same dish with better ingredients for less money. I know you can too.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I just finished reading Macdivers journal, he went to Spring Lake. Funny you mention about going to the beach or lake. You should have had a play date. :lol: Spring Lake is about 75 miles from my house, so I would guess about 55-60 from yours.
    '

Seltzer likes this.
  13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    When I read Mac's journal I thought the same thing. As it turned out we stayed close to home and while wifey and I went on a walk with dear dog it wasn't at either the shore or a lake. As far as distance, I would peg Spring Lake at 60 miles from my house so we're in agreement about that.

Update

Not my most energetic workout this morning, but I did it. Four rounds of:

Russian twists with a ball
    Heavy ropes
    TRX table top rows
    Wood chopper ball slams
    Db squats while standing on a Bosu ball
    Kb squats
    Super man pushups
    Forward runs on risers

Functional exercise will come later in the day when I have to move furniture and a rug.

Wifey and I went to dinner last night and then walked to an outdoor concert for a while.

Have a great day!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Three rounds this morning of:

Kb goblet squats
    Lat pulldowns
    Seated cable rows
    Push ups
    Standing Db shoulder presses
    Cable curls
    Bench dips

Dinner last night was chicken and pork with assorted veggies cooked with sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds.

Have a great day!

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I truly need a rest day and I'm going to take one. Earlier today I did some errands and went to the dentist where I got a thumbs up report.

Dear daughter left this AM with a carload of stuff to go to her boyfriend's parent's house; tomorrow she has an in person job interview, and then she and her BF fly to Hawaii for ten or twelve days; I'll have to check my calendar to see the truth. A day after she returns we have the pleasure of loading up a U-Haul to bring her belongings to the Boston apartment that she and her BF have leased.

Dinner last night was burgers cooked on my BGE with the usual sides and air fried French fries.

Have a great day!

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

What is BGE? I googled, didn't see anything?

I have a sister who lives not that far from you. Two of her kids live in Boston. Maybe when you visit your daughter, you can carpool. :)

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I once again blew off my 6 AM Wednesday workout and as soon as I walked into the gym was met by my trainer who admonished me. The class I did attend was a different format than I'm used to and led by a different trainer. We started off with ten minutes of As Many Reps As Possible (AMRAP) for the circuit detailed below with each exercise having eight reps (each side if it was a single arm one) with the exception of the jump rope which had sixty, then each exercise for one minute, and finished with one full circuit of eight reps for each exercise. I wasn't sure of pacing or how much weight to use and I wound up going a bit too conservative. The exercises were:

Single arm reverse lunges while holding a Kb with an arm reaching straight up
    Kb squats
    Single arm Kb two point rows
    Pivot pushups
    Jump rope*
    Reverse crunches
    Leg raises

* I did not use a rope because it would have taken me a week to get 60 reps.

Dinner last night was eggplant with sautéed onions, garlic, and assorted spices in a quasi omelet form.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    BGE is the acronym for Big Green Egg, a komodo style cooker similar to the one that Macdiver has.

Does your sister want to come up near the end of the month and help us unpack a U-Haul? :lol:

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No gym workout today, but I did 40 pushups and 30 crunches at home.

Dinner last night was a leftover smorgasbord.

Have a great day!

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Another workout at home today that was similar to yesterday. My afternoon plan is to take dear dog on a walk.

Dinner last night was grilled salmon with mustard served with rice.

TGIF!