1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Not much in the way of exercise, just a little bit of walking.

Dinner last night was baked cod with sautéed string beans. Tonight we're going to dinner and a blues show with some friends so no cooking until tomorrow.

TGIF!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Four rounds in a humid gym this morning of:

TRX one leg table top rows
    Lateral box runs
    Db goblet squats
    Two hand Kb swings
    Db presses while kneeling on a Bosu ball
    Standing Db curls
    Glider knee tucks
    Bicycles
    Double Kb step ups

While listening to some blues at the restaurant last night I shared a salad with wifey and had two large slices of pizza. There was also one beer involved; the rest of the time I drank water because it was so hot.

Wifey and dear daughter were supposed to run a Rugged Maniac race today, but given the horrendous weather they opted to postpone it. IIRC there were supposed to be five thousand participants and I'm interested to see how many did the course today. Those that did are truly maniacs. :nod:

Have a great day!

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

On the thermometer in my car, it showed 104 today. I wanted to take a photo, but by the time I took the photo, it went down to 102. I want to email it in the winter when it is 2 degrees. :)

Didn't know your wife was a runner. Is it a trail run, or an obstacle run? Good decision to skip the race today.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Down to 102F, a cold snap if there ever was one. :lol:

Wifey has run about five half marathons and after lifting usually does cardio on the dreadmill. Today's race was an obstacle run and from what I remember it consisted of 24 obstacles all of which were in the open with no shade......brutal.

Update

Staying inside and trying to keep the house cool. We're replacing most of the floors in the house in a couple of weeks so we're busy (more wifey than me), boxing everything which will eventually be moved to one of those temporary storage units that we're going to put in the driveway.

Dear daughter and her boyfriend are going out to dinner so unless plans change I'll be cooking for me, wifey, and dear son.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Four sweaty rounds this morning of:

Ab wheel rollouts
    Rower
    Low plank around the worlds
    Kb goblet hold reverse lunges
    Push ups
    Ball slams
    TRX mid level rows

There will be some more functional exercise this afternoon as we box up stuff. I'm also going to order the temporary storage unit today.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Although I did take some time to watch the Baseball Hall of Fame induction ceremony, wifey and I spent a couple of hours boxing stuff. My strong children were absent; a pool party took precedence. :rolleyes: In fairness, that's not entirely fair because the party was at the home of one of the owners of dear daughter's CrossFit gym and was being held as a going away party for DD.

A little while ago our dinner plans changed; we are now going out to dinner with a few couples that we're friends with.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Three rounds this morning of:

Db goblet squats
    Lat pulldowns
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Seated mid chest rows
    Db squat presses
    Low planks

Have a great day!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nothing much going on except doing some light packing and moving boxes around.

Dinner last night was shrimp with pesto using basil from our garden.

Have a great day!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Four rounds of:

Mountain climbers
    Kb figure eights
    Jump squats
    Step ups while holding two kbs
    Superman pushups

In between each round and after the last one we did walkouts with pushups and then did seven or so minutes of constant core exercises.

Dinner last night was chicken thighs with BBQ sauce and corn on the cob.

Have a great day!

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Solo workout today, just because I wanted a change. Three sets of eight of:

Flat bench Db presses
    Standing Bb military presses
    Bent over Bb rows
    Db lateral raises

Weights were variable since I haven't done much on my own of late and didn't know the proper ones to choose. In all cases I wasn't too far off.

Dinner last night as beef and broccoli stir fry with hoisin sauce served over wide egg noodles.

Have a great day!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    An extra terrestrial or some foreign government secret service organization may have taken over my body because a short while ago I learned that wifey and dear son are meeting in NYC for dinner and I ditched my at home dinner plans and called dear daughter to meet me at a restaurant in town. Me initiating going out on a weeknight ????? :ohnoes:

macdiver likes this.
  12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I give you and your wife credit, you both don't get overwhelmed by work. The thought of that preparation would prevent me from getting new floors.

Seltzer likes this.
  13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    As a homeowner you know that certain things just have to be done to maintain the house and enhance one's enjoyment while living there. Believe me, if we could get away with not undertaking this floor project we wouldn't and while wifey is the main driver of the project even I have to admit that what we're replacing needs it and probably should have been done already. The next few days are going to be spent filling boxes and moving them to the temporary storage in the driveway or to places in the house where the floors are not being replaced. Functional exercise for sure.

Update

Friday is usually a rest day, but if I had more dedication I would have gone for a run. Later today will be taken up with filling more boxes, as indicated above, and tomorrow we'll start moving them so we'll get some exercise after our trip to the gym.

Wifey and dear son went out for Mexican food last night in midtown Manhattan and dear daughter and I went to a local Mediterranean restaurant. We shared a creamed yogurt dish with garlic, dill, and walnuts. Her entrée was grilled chicken with radicchio, cucumbers, and tomatoes and I had lamb kebabs seasoned with garlic, parsley, onions, and some other spices. Very tasty and the leftovers will be lunch today. :-)

Since it's the last Friday of the month we'll most likely be going to see the band we normally do every month at a local pub.

TGIF!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Four rounds this morning of:

Step ups while holding two Kbs
    Superman pushups
    Kb Romanian deadlifts
    Kb figure eights
    TRX triceps extensions
    Jump squats off a riser

Additional exercise will happen this afternoon when we start loaded the UHaul with boxes.

Dinner last night was roasted pork tenderloin with rice.

Have a great day!

15. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

What type of floors are you replacing and with what? Just curious because packing everything up seems like it is more than just getting carpets replaced.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    In addition to replacing carpets we're putting new hard wood in the living room and dining room. After numerous sandings over 95 years the wood is too thin to be sanded again. The only floor that is not being touched is the second, which with the exception of the bathroom is all hardwood, but it didn't experience the traffic that the first floor did. On the third floor we're replacing the carpeting in our bedroom and a large walk in closet. As a dog person I'm sure you know that puppies and carpets are not a good combo. :nono:

Update

Looong day yesterday, but most of the heavy lifting is behind us. Until we have to put everything back. :ohnoes: Shoot me now. The big take away from yesterday is that if I ever endeavor to start a new career being a moving person is not on the list. Wifey and I are tired, but we went to the gym this morning for four rounds of:

Rower
    Db squat presses
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Mountain climbers on gliders (which are harder than without them)
    TRX rows
    Ball slams

There was one additional exercise in the rotation that escapes me.

We probably have about two hours of more packing to do and then it will be chillaxing time. Honestly, with the way I'm feeling there may be a nap in my future.

Last night wifey and I dragged our sorry butts to an outdoor concert in town and on the way picked up empanadas from a restaurant that recently opened. Tasty and affordable, always a good combination.

Have a great day!

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I almost, like ALMOST, didn't go to the gym today. Mentally and physically tired, but went for a light solo workout with an emphasis on my core.

Floor people come tomorrow at 8 so tonight we're going to finish getting the house prepared for them.

Dinner last night was reverse seared rib eyes done first on my BGE with mesquite and then seared on a stove top griddle. The side was tri color couscous.

Have a great day!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day most likely will be moving boxes and stuff. The wood guys are here and the carpet guys should be showing up in a few hours. Dear dog is not happy with all the change and strange noises.

Dinner last night was grilled hamburgers with onions, pickles, lettuce, and tomatoes and the sides were a garden salad and roasted potatoes.

Have a great day!

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I feel exhausted just reading about all your box moving. Didn't know when they sand the floors, they take off so much each time, that eventually it doesn't leave much of the wood left. I thought it only took off a tiny bit each time.

How long is the whole job supposed to take?

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know how much is sanded each time, but I think in our case it was more the amount of times they've been sanded than any time or two taking too much off. Just a guess.

Believe it or not, they finished yesterday. Five guys putting in about forty man hours.

Update

After the floor guys left yesterday we started to put the house back in order and worked until about midnight. There's lots more to do, but one bright spot is that I emptied the truck and will return it early so we'll save a few bucks.

No gym today, but as one can imagine there has been and will be plenty of functional exercise.

Have a great day!