1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Jaer. Since it's been less than a day it's too soon to tell if this latest med combo is going to be effective, but both me and my doctor are determined to find a solution and I'm going to continue to do what I can on the exercise front.

The book I'm reading is Brunelleschi's Dome by Ross King. It's the story of how of an early 15th century architect built what was at that time the world's largest dome atop a cathedral in Florence Italy. It still stands today and both of my kids, who have been to the city, say it's magnificent. I'm only about 15 pages into the book and am getting an education in architectural terms. It is a book club book, which is why I'm reading it.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Too many different exercises for me to recount from this morning. Two different circuits of about six or seven with virtually no rest which added a cardio component in addition to the upper body, core, leg, and high intensity stuff like the rower and mountain climbers.

Dinner last night was crustless shrimp quiche with a salad.

Have a great day!

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Low key day; all I'm going to do is walk and will probably log about four miles.

Dinner last night was air fried shrimp with bell peppers, zucchini, onions, and garlic. It's rare that I serve the same protein twice in one week and even rarer that I serve the same protein twice in a row, but the women-folk came across the recipe and were insistent that I cook it. So I did. :D

Should be a quiet evening at home tonight.

TGIF!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise this morning was four rounds of:

Kb swings
    Heavy rope slams
    TRX pull rows
    Ball slams
    Rower
    Bosu ball balances while holding a Db
    Stability ball planks

The gym is celebrating its 20th anniversary and there were numerous vendors, contests, and give aways. After my workout I did 20 pushups to earn a tee shirt. Additional exercise for the day will include a walk to an arts and craft fair in town this afternoon.

Dinner last night was ginger beef served over white rice.

Have a great day!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Four rounds this morning of:

Bosu ball push ups with knee thrusts
    Two point db rows
    Kb swings
    Db goblet squats
    Heavy rope slams with reverse lunges
    TRX chest presses
    Duffel bag squat cleans

No cooking last night because we went to a party at my cousin's house. Lots of fun, but the drive to and fro was terrible. As anyone familiar with the NY metro area will understand driveway to driveway was 41 miles, but we had to cross both the Hudson and East rivers. More than $25 in tolls with my EzPass discount and the trip to the party took 1:45 and the trip home took 1:20. Mainly bumper to bumper BS. We have a shorter yet similar drive later today to see a concert tonight. We're tailgating with friends so no cooking again. It's going to be a late night, but be assured i'll be at the gym tomorrow.

Have a great day!

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Don't know what you are talking about. :lol:

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Liar :)

Update

We had a good time at the concert last night, but didn't get home until 1 AM and despite being tired it took me a while to settle down after the drive. Needless to write, I'm tired today and to make matters worse there was so much smoke around us that my breathing is sub par. Still, I was at the gym for three rounds of:

Incline Bb bench presses
    Incline Db flyes
    Incline Bb skull crushers
    Lat pulldowns
    Push ups
    Standing Bb curls
    Heavy ropes

Have a great day!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Minimal exercise for the day; I already walked a couple of miles and maybe will do some low planks at home.

When wifey and I went to the concert Sunday night the kids went out to dinner and brought home rice and a container of seaweed salad. I combined those ingredients with seasoned boneless chicken thighs for a quick and easy dinner last night.

Have a great day!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I had a tough time at the gym today, mostly due to breathing issues which I think are the lingering after effects of the smokey environment I spent many hours in on Sunday night. Four rounds of six different exercises and then three rounds of another four. Quick paced with little rest, although I needed to take more than the prescribed time. HIIT cardio, core, upper body, and lower body. They were all covered.

Dinner last night was beef with ginger and sherry and the accompaniment was salad.

Have a great day!

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I had every intention of going to the gym today; I went to bed at a reasonable hour, got up early enough to fuel my body and digest everything, hydrated, etc. About 45 minutes before I was going to leave I started having breathing issues that weren't subsiding and instead of exertion I decided to lay down in an air conditioned room. :( A week ago I thought I was having a promising change with my new med, but now I'm not so sure. As much as I hate being dependent there's an accompanying med the my pulmonologist gave me that should boost the effectiveness of the first one. I haven't tried it yet, but will likely do so tomorrow.

Dinner last night was shrimp coated in Panko bread crumbs with a side of linguini, garlic, and EVOO.

Have a great day!

11. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I hope medicine works.

Seltzer likes this.
  12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks.

Update

Although I'm feeling better today than yesterday, I'm keeping to my normal schedule and today will be a low key exercise day that will only involve walking. Also, since today is the last Friday of the month wifey and I will be doing our usual and going to a local tavern to watch a band that only plays once a month and there will be some dancing.

Dinner last night was hamburgers with lettuce, onions, and tomatoes. I also made air fryer French fries.

TGIF!

13. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I also made air fryer French fries.

I normally heat leftovers in the air fryer.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the reheat tip; I've never done that.

Update

One of those virtually no rest workouts. Varied, as always, with a focus today on core. Four rounds of seven different exercises and three rounds of another grouping of six(?).

We ate dinner at the bar where the band we wanted to see was playing so no cooking for me last night. As it stands we have no social plans for tonight so we'll likely eat at home.

Have a great day!

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    An absolutely miserable workout this morning as I couldn't get a decent breath. I actually had to sit out a few exercises because I was getting light headed and needed a few minutes afterward to make sure I was okay to drive. For the record I will be at the gym tomorrow.

Dinner last night was assorted leftovers and I won't be cooking tonight because we're going into NYC to meet my cousin.

Have a great day!

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Between you and me, we are both quite a mess health wise. :) Hope you this breathing issue gets sorted out.

17. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Wish your breathing was better. I was hopeful the new meds would be the solution.

You may already have this, but one thing that helps my wife during the hot, humid weather is a window AC unit in our bedroom. We have central air but since our bedroom is upstairs it runs 5 degrees or so warmer. Last year I bought a small window unit which we turn on an hour or two before bedtime. It has really helped her sleep and she tends to have less breathing issues the next day.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, things are not ideal, but neither of us are giving us either with exercise or seeking solutions so that's a positive.

Thanks for the sentiments and for the advice. Like you wife I've found that the air conditioning helps.

Update

We had a fine day in NYC that ended with a very nice dinner. Wifey logged about 30,000 steps yesterday and since I was with her my count was in that ball park also.

This morning at the gym I did three rounds of:

Double rack Db squats
    TRX rows
    Ball slams
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Bicycles
    Crunches
    Low planks

My breathing was better than yesterday, which is not saying much, and while I don't know if my new med concoction is the answer I really need to start doing some additional cardio.

Have a great day!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Not too much to write about concerning exercise for the day. A forty minute walk with dear dog was it.

Dinner last night was cod filets baked with lemon and butter and the side was string beans.

Have a great day!

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    In a very rare moment of laziness I blew off this morning's workout. I immediately fell asleep for another 2.5 hours so I guess I needed the rest although I've been going to bed at reasonable times of late. Earlier this morning I walked about two miles round trip to meet a friend for breakfast.

Dinner last night was black bean burgers with a cabbage salad. I may or may not be cooking tonight. If the forecast of no rain is correct we're going to an outdoor concert that will be followed by fireworks and we'll picnic. If the forecast of rain is correct, meaning the concert is cancelled, I'll have to figure out something to eat at home.

Have a great day!