1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks. I am feeling better today, but have done nothing rigorous. More below.

Update

Just some walking today; the first one alone to meet a friend for breakfast and the second with dear dog.

Late changes in dinner plans last night as the kids decided to go out and upon being informed of that wifey suggested we do the same. Wifey and I shared two cold appys, grilled eggplant with garlic; lemon juice; and EVOO and a Turkish version of Greek yogurt. Thick yogurt with garlic, dill, and walnuts. We also split a salad with romaine lettuce, cucumbers, feta cheese. peppers, and tomatoes. All very tasty and easy on the wallet and waist line. Truly a rare Monday restaurant dinner. Tonight we will be home.

At little late, but have a great day!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I almost didn't go to my workout this morning, but did and had an about average time of it, which is better than the last couple.

Dinner last night was a bottom round chuck that I sous vided until it was very tender and then grilled. Using the purge from the sous vide bag I made a sauce and I also served roasted asparagus.

Have a great day!

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I was up at 4:30 this morning to drive 30 minutes in the opposite direction to pick up a friend and drive her and wifey to JFK International Airport. They and three other women will be spending the next five days at a resort in Jamaica. The amount of traffic enroute at such an early hour was mind boggling, but not a surprise. In fairness about the wrong direction remark, that women's husband is doing the pickup portion when they come home Monday night.

That was phase one of the AM; phase two was me going to the gym for a solo workout that consisted of three eight rep sets each of:

Leg extensions
    Calf raises
    Bent over BB rows
    BB standing overhead presses

Since I haven't done this in a long time my weights need some tweaking, but in the end it was a decent workout.

Dinner lasts night was roasted leg of lamb, homemade tzakiki, and a salad.

In addition to the non fitness little tale of getting the women to the airport, yesterday I solidified arrangements for a joint b'day party for dear son and for dear daughter achieving her graduate degrees in Speech Pathology and Communication Disorders. There will be about 75 people and after giving consideration to various alternatives we decided to host the party local restaurant, which is not our style, but it's going to be worth it. Also yesterday was the start of a large masonry project; while I gave some thought to doing all the cooking for the kids' party this endeavor is far beyond my scope of competence. By a light year or two.

Have a great day!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day was a three mile walk.

For dinner last night the kids talked me into going out; I had a Greek salad. I'm alone tonight and will cook something involving chicken.

TGIF!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise this morning was four rounds of:

Box squat jumps
    Up downs with arm extensions
    Kb swings
    Ab wheel roll out holds
    Heavy ropes with reverse lunges
    Contra lateral Kb step ups
    Push ups with knee thrusts on a Bosu ball
    Burpees

Dinner last night was sous vide and seared chicken thigh served over pasta with an EVOO and garlic sauce.

Have a great day!

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

IMHO your decision to have the party at a restaurant is really good. This will give you time to enjoy it as well. If you were doing all the cooking, you would be to busy to enjoy yourself. Although, I think you are like me and you enjoy cooking for others, sometimes it is better to step back, let others handle it, and have a good time.

#20626 macdiver, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Seltzer likes this.
  7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I totally agree. It's going to be a much more enjoyable experience for me and wifey since don't have to deal with set up, cooking, serving, and clean up. To say nothing of how wiped out we'd be the following day.

Update

Main exercise for the day is in the rear view mirror. Four rounds of:

Mountain climbers with sliders
    Single arm Db shoulder presses while standing on a Bosu ball
    Two arm Db reverse lunges of a box
    Push ups
    Ball slams
    TRX table top rows

Given how nice it is outside I'll likely take dear dog for a walk this afternoon.

Me, dear daughter, and her BF picnicked last night at a local park while listening to a live band. I had a lamb gyro and for dessert we had watermelon.

Have a great day!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Today's fun at the gym was three rounds of:

Flat bench Db chest presses
    Flat bench Bb skullcrushers
    Flat bench Bb chest presses
    Lat pulldowns
    Incline bench Db chest presses
    Db bench rows
    Standing Bb curls
    Push ups

Yes, my tris will be sore tomorrow.

We had an early dinner last night to accommodate dear daughter's BF so that he could get home at a reasonable hour. I reverse seared shell steaks over hickory and we also had corn on the cob and baked potatoes. It did not suck. :)

Have a great day!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day was taking dear dog on a walk. As expected I'm a bit sore from yesterday's workout, but nothing terrible.

Dinner last night was assorted leftovers.

Have a great day!

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Twelve different exercises this morning, too many to remember them all, but there were push ups, squats, mountain climbers, fun stuff on gliders, TRX rows, and ball slams included in the mix. My breathing was sub par so I struggled a bit, but got through it. Between my breathing and DOMS from Monday I didn't shed a tear when the session ended. :nope:

Dinner last night was chicken piccata with corn as the side dish.

Have a great day!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Four rounds this morning of:

Jumping jacks
    Medicine ball ab work
    Standing Db squat presses
    High planks with shoulder taps
    Heavy ropes
    TRX rows

After that we had a heavy rope competition; two teams with each member doing two rope reps of 50, 40, 30, 10, 50.

Dinner last night was roasted turkey breast with gravy and the side was a mixed green and veggie salad.

Have a great day!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day was a walk with dear dog and maybe another one this afternoon.

Dinner last night was baked flounder fillets with homemade bread crumbs made from a truly delicious bread that wifey and I had last week when we went out to dinner. I know talking up bread crumbs is weird, but.... The side was a garden salad.

In non fitness news, the masonry project is done and came out great, I put a deposit down for the party we're hosting for dear son and dear daughter, I had maintenance done on two of my cars for a few thousand dollars, and yesterday we contracted to have some of the flooring in the house redone that's going to be over five figures without factoring in the people we're going to have to hire to move furniture. Next week I'm likely going to engage an audio person to fix our home sound system. As a former boss of mine used to say, I'm spending money like fish. DO NOT ask me what in the world that means because I didn't know at the time and almost forty years later still don't.

No gym tomorrow because we're participating in our hiking club's monthly hike. From what I've been told it will be about 2.5 hours and hilly.

TGIF!

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I am inviting you to join my "no buy year". :)

What did you have done?

I am thinking of getting pavers for the driveway, the walk, and what is currently a flagstone patio that needs to be repaired. I haven't had any estimates yet. Depending on the cost, if it is expensive, I might just have the driveway done. If it is really expensive, I might just get a new asphalt driveway.:( But I like the look of pavers, and I like the fact they need no maintenance.

Money is like having an Idol on the reality show Survivor. It has value while you are on the show, but after you get voted off the show, it has no value. After you die, money has no value (at least to the one who died). :confused:

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No buying is not happening, but all things considered we're fiscally responsible so it's not a big concern. The commitments this past week, with the exception of the party, needed to be done and while we could have made less expensive choices for the masonry we went with what we're hopefully going to be enjoying for years to come. We had a few steps leading from the side walk to the front walk way replaced and then steps leading to the front porch as well as the entire fporch. Red brick to match the house and blue stone on top.

In the next couple of years I'm going to have to take care of my driveway. About a decade ago I resurfaced it, but this time around I'll be hiring someone and may also replace the Belgium blocks that line it.

I know of, but am not familiar with the show, but I get what you're writing.

The joys of home ownership. :-)

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    After taking a weekend hiatus from the interwebs, I'm back. Saturday we went on our monthly hike; quite challenging, but we had a fine time and the group was able to pat itself on the back while we ate a well deserved lunch. I woke up in the wee hours Sunday morning with breathing issues, to the point where wifey suggested to go to the ER, but I talked her out of that. Despite doing all I could at home I wasn't up to working out so I skipped the gym. Fortunately I have a previously made appointment with my pulmonologist tomorrow AM.

Yesterday afternoon we visited my father's grave and after picking up my MIL we went to my FIL's grave. We then went for an early dinner.

I was at the gym this morning for three rounds of:

Incline bench Bb presses
    Incline bench Db flyes
    Incline bench Bb skull crushers
    Lat pulldowns
    Push ups
    Standing Bb curls
    Planks

Have a great day!

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Good luck with your doctor's appointment today. Hope they can find what is causing your breathing problem, and resolve it.

Seltzer likes this.
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you. More details below.

Update

Most of my morning revolved around my pulmonologist visit. Lots of tests with the end result being that my issues, while not severe, are slightly worse than my last check up which coincides with how I'm feeling. I've been put on a new med for the upcoming week and if that isn't as effective I'd like there's another one I also need to start taking. I hate pumping all this into me, but if it helps me breathe I'm going to do it. I have a follow up appointment in about three weeks. But wait, that's not all with regard to doctors for the day.

While driving home from the pulmonologist I was chewing gum, something I rarely do, and half of one of my teeth came out. It had been worked on previously because there's metal implanted in the bottom of the part that came out and I have an appointment this afternoon to see my dentist. Fortunately the office was able to squeeze me, but I'm sure I'll be waiting around for a while. I finished the newspaper this morning so it's a good thing I'm about to start on a new book. :rolleyes:

Dinner last night was meat loaf stuffed with a layer of sun dried tomatoes. The side was a ice burg lettuce salad.

Have a great day!

18. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Scary stuff with the breathing the other night. Hopefully the new medicine will work well for you.

Seltzer likes this.
  19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Mac. While it's extremely frustrating that my endurance is compromised it's worse when I all of a sudden I can't breathe while sleeping. I started phase one of the new regimen last night.

Update

My squeeze in appointment at the dentist was very timely and since I had the tooth portion and it had no damage the dentist and tech person literally cleaned things up, applied some dental cement, popped the top back in place, and shortly after that I was good to go. All told I was in her office for 30 minutes and the bill was $92. An unexpected expenditure of time and money, but a win-win in my book and I'm currently feeling perfectly fine so I guess that's a win-win-win. :D

I was at the gym this AM for four rounds of:

Two point Db rows
    Two arm Kb swings
    A core exercise using a stability ball
    Heavy rope slams
    TRX table top rows
    Db squat presses
    Explosive step ups

In between each round we did:

Push ups
    High planks
    Mountain climbers

Afterward I walked 1.5 miles round trip to meet a friend for breakfast.

I try to refrain from prospectively mentioning dinner plans, but to some degree I easily could have for yesterday. Wifey was going out with some work friends and dear daughter was going out with some friends so I knew that once dear son got wind of this info he wouldn't be satisfied with dinner at home and want to go out and do something fun. As if we can't talk at home over dinner. :rolleyes: Honestly, I'm fine with it, but we had to do our little ritual dance before I relented and wound up going to the casual Mediterranean restaurant that I've written about before. I had a lamb gyro that came with a small Greek salad and French fries. Dear son and I split the fries, which were delicious, and I brought back part of my meal which will be eaten shortly. :eat:

Have a great day!

20. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry to hear about the breathing issues! Oy, that sucks!

Hope the meds help. Awesome that you can keep up the workouts, though.

What book are you reading?

Jaer
    is currently reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind.

Seltzer likes this.