1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Chicken, beef, or beaver? [/quote]

Beaver of course. ;) To really answer your question, It was brought by a guest and it was chicken livers.

Regarding dear daughter, I've been planning on writing about it. The short version is that we're very happy for her, but there will be some sadness because unlike when she left for college she probably won't be living near us anytime soon, if ever, but about five hours away. The progression of her life is what we wanted it to be; she's smart and ready to become totally independent and we're thankful for that and I'm sure we all will adjust to the new normal when she moves.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wifey and I will be at the gym mid morning and after a quick turnaround head to her sister and BIL's house for Easter.

Dinner last night was Passover leftovers; no formal sit down as we normally do as we just grazed through the day.

Happy Easter to all who celebrate.

Have a great day.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

That is not really true, maybe when you both are in your 90's, you will be living in her house. :)

Congratulations her job, is she a speech teacher in a school system?

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You may be right about your first sentence. :-)

She hasn't accepted the job yet, but if she does she will be working with a company that helps public and private schools meet the needs of their special needs children by vetting and employing people who have the requisite skill set(s). Dear daughter is a licensed teacher, a licensed special education teacher, and come August a licensed speech pathologist. Based on the little I know of this prospective position she will not be a classroom teacher, but will run a resource room where children with needs come to her for a portion of the day and work one on one.

Update

I brought my A game to the Easter festivities yesterday and probably wound up with a B+. Food choices were okay-ish, portion control was on point, and I had one beer.

My first post Easter workout went well. It was three rounds of:

DB squat press
    DB 2 point row
    DB snatches/alternating
    Renegade rows
    Jump squats
    Ball slams
    Ab wheel roll outs
    Up downs
    Mountain climbers

As it should be obvious, I didn't cook dinner last night. Right now I'm dehydrating apples and bananas and making a chili using the leftover red wine braised brisket from Passover with added black beans and seasonings. An experiment the rest of the family will be test subjects for tomorrow at dinner. :D

Have a great day!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I ran a mile this morning. And then I walked two miles to do some errands. I have some more walking in my future because I'm going into NYC to visit my very sick friend who I've previously wrote about.

Dinner last night was veggie burgers and roasted asparagus. No cooking tonight because I won't be home.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I wound up walking close to seven miles yesterday. Last night I made an executive decision to not go the gym this morning and give my arm/shoulder a rest. I'm not in pain, but there are twinges of uncomfortableness. While there are sometimes a step backward the overall arc is that things are improving and the one thing I've noticed regarding what impacts that is rest. I'm trying to thread the needle and rest a little bit more, but not so much that my fitness takes a hit which is why I'll be at the gym tomorrow AM. Since it's so nice out I'll be taking dear dog for a walk this afternoon.

As I wrote yesterday, no cooking last night because wifey and I had dinner in Manhattan after leaving the hospital.

Have a great day!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Two circuits of three rounds and six different exercises in each round. Rows, squats, lunges, presses, rower, etc.

Dinner last night was cauliflower pizza topped with sautéed broccoli rabe, garlic and mozzarella cheese. Also, I put some jalapeno pepper jack cheese in the cauliflower crust.

Have a great day!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A short and slow 1.25 mile run this morning.

No cooking last night because we were invited to dinner at the house of friends of ours.

TGIF!

9. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

That is a 25% increase over your last run. Good job :tu:

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I remember you wrote about going to a town planning board meeting, to assist a friend who didn't want a huge house built near them (yes, I do have a memory like an elephant). I recently read that a mansion to be built in your town, that the party decided against building it, after demolishing 3 homes to make way for the mansion (or McMansion). Just curious, was that the house you were referring to?

Good job on increasing the running.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mac and Shamie, thanks about the run.

The house that I wrote about is around the corner from me; it's already large-ish and the new owner, someone who bought the property as an investment with the intent to flip it after he made a large addition that needed variances which is why there was a town planning board meeting. He was allowed to start building on April 1st, but so far nothing has been done. The other house is a couple of miles away from me.

The billionaire owner, who currently lives in town with his family, bought two historic properties and tore them down to build a 60,000 square foot home. That is not a typo. The backlash from people in town is that he tore down two old and beautiful homes, which he got approval for, and that he's seeking variances to clear wooded land near a park. The current law is that he can't do that within 145 feet of the park and he wants to do so within 25 feet. Besides aesthetics doing so would have drainage issues for houses that are lower on the hill. The reason for him postponing his hearing is not public knowledge; the last meeting was dismissed without prejudice meaning he can reapply. It could be a ploy to wait dissenting people out until they lose interest or it could be that he's working with his architect to make amendments to the plan so that it complies with existing law and doesn't need a variance. Or something else. He already lives in a large home not too far from me and I have no idea what his motivation is to build something so large.

12. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What did you think of the cauliflower crust? Also, smart plan with your shoulder (but so difficult sometimes to take those days off).

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I enjoy it, but there's no mistaking it for a pizza crust made from dough.

Thanks about my shoulder; I rested it today because it was our monthly hike with our hiking club.

Update

We recently got back from our hike which was about five miles. Hilly, rocky, a little muddy, and lots of tree roots. The weather was cooperative and where we hiked was scenic so it was a lot of fun. Afterward we went to lunch with the group. Wifey and I are hike captains for our May hike and we've already picked out a trail and where we're going for lunch afterward. :lol:

Dinner last night was shrimp and asparagus. No cooking plans tonight because we were supposed to go into Manhattan to see our sick friend, but unfortunately he was taken off life support this morning and died a few hours ago. :(

Have a great day!

14. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you.

Update

Four rounds this morning of:

Duffel bag squat cleans
    Db single arm presses while kneeling on a Bosu ball
    Db goblet squats
    Ab wheel rollouts
    TRX tabletop rows
    Rower
    Bicycle crunches

Have a great day!

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sorry to read about the loss of your friend.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you.

Update

Three rounds this morning of:

Bb incline bench presses
    Db incline flyes
    Bb incline skullcrushers
    Lat pulldowns
    Push ups
    Ball slams
    Low planks
    Leg raises

Dinner last night was leftovers. Chicken thighs, matzo ball soup, veggie burgers, and a fresh salad.

Have a great day!

18. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No need to apologize: It's a legit question around these parts. But mostly only in my journal.

Jaer
    is also sorry to hear about your friend.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Jaer. He will be missed.

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Very sorry to hear that news about your friend, too.