1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

#20521 macdiver, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope your shoulder is feeling better.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes the cherry blossoms, magnolias, etc. are in full bloom; very nice to look at.

Thanks for the article; coincidentally I was talking to someone a couple of days ago about the topic.

Maybe it's marginally better, but essentially the same.

Thanks for asking.

Update

Four rounds this morning of:

Rower
    Bicycle crunches
    Kb swings
    Ball planks
    Db presses
    Heavy ropes
    Burpees with a pushup with a Bosu ball
    Step ups

We had tuna fish salad for dinner tonight. Easy, tasty, and light on a warm evening.

Have great day!

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Are you going to see the cherry blossoms in Branch Brook park this year?

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We had plans to go today, but life got in the way. Nothing serious, actually all good, but we wound up not having the time. Hopefully next year.

Update

No cooking tonight because we're going to pay a shiva (condolence) visit to our good friends a couple of houses up the block. He lost his mother on Friday.

Dear daughter is away, but wifey and dear son will be planted in front of the TV watching Game of Thrones tonight. I'll probably read.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Three rounds this morning of:

Flat bench Bb presses
    Flat bench Bb skullcrushers
    Lat pulldowns
    Push ups
    Standing Bb curls
    Heavy ropes
    Low planks
    Bicycles
    Crunches

Have a great day!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Tuesdays are normally a low key exercise day; one could term it as active recovery to an extent. Today will be less than that because my workout yesterday set me back a bit with regard to how my right shoulder/arm is feeling. It's better today than yesterday and I think a day of total rest will be beneficial. What that means is that my activity for the day will be the walk I took to meet a friend for breakfast and possibly a walk with dear dog this afternoon.

Dinner last night was boneless shell steaks I sous vided and then seared on a stove top griddle and a combo of sautéed mushrooms and garlic. I'm currently dehydrating a flank steak to make beef jerky.

Have a great day!

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Hope the shoulder feels better soon. I was hoping it was better by now.

I read an commentaty regarding sous vide beef and texture. The chef didn't like it. Do you notice a difference between sous vide steaks versus a reverse sear on your egg?

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks about my shoulder. I guess I got a little ahead of myself yesterday and as the day progresses I can feel the improvement from yesterday so the rest is serving me well. I’ll be more mindful tomorrow AM when I’m at the gym.

Full disclosure about your question: I was vacillating between reverse searing and sous vide. I was using Prime shells so they were tender to begin with and I only had them in the bath for about two hours, enough to soften them a bit and bring them to temperature, but no so long as to turn the texture to mush. In yesterday’s particular case either method would have resulted in a fine outcome regarding texture, but I didn’t feel like cranking up my BGE. :rolleyes: Doing so would have added additional flavorings due to the lump even if I didn’t put in any smoking wood, but with only a salt and pepper seasoning last night the shells came out really good via the sous vide and sear method. That written, all things being equal, with a high quality cut I’d more often than not choose the reverse sear on my EGG.

For the chuck roast I made last week using the sous vide method was a no brainer. It turned an inexpensive and tough cut of meat into one with a really nice texture that had very good taste after searing. Due to its size reverse searing would not have been an option and I would alternatively had to braise, bake, or cube and simmer to get it to be tender.

Bottom line, I don’t sous vide all the time, as you know, but it’s nice to have as an alternative and I’m glad I own the device.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Although I made some accommodations I didn't do my shoulder and arm any favors this morning. It's better than Monday, but not as good as yesterday. Today we did four rounds of:

Two arm Kb swings
    Two arm Db squat presses
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Heavy ropes
    Walkouts with a push up
    Double tucks on gliders
    Db weighted step ups

After each round we did four different types of core exercises.

Dinner last night was leftovers with a side salad.

Have a great day!

11. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hope your shoulder continues to improve. Resting can be surprisingly difficult sometimes.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks. This is definitely comes under the heading of: Do What I Say, Not What I Do. To continue the lunacy, I'll be at the gym tomorrow, but will be taking a rest day on Friday, which I normally do anyway. One would think that at this point in my life, after so many decades of exercising, I would make better choices. But...…..:lol:

Update

Wifey and I took a couple of hours this afternoon and spent them strolling with dear dog around a park known for its Cherry Blossoms. It's still peak season, but after the torrential wind and rain storms Sunday night into Monday morning a lot of the blossoms were on the ground. Still, it was pretty and we had a nice time enjoying the time outdoors.

I've started cooking for the Passover Seder we're hosting Friday night. It's not a large crowd, but there are a number of dishes that take time no matter how many people are being fed. It's not my first rodeo so I've got my prep plan and all should be fine. Dear daughter, who will not be with us, called this afternoon to make a passionate plea for me to save some of her favorite dishes for when she comes home on Monday.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This morning workout was four rounds of:

Exercise ball knee tucks
    Glider mountain climbers
    Reverse lunges with a Kb
    Lateral box steps
    Db floor presses
    Jump squats
    Duffel bag rows
    Bear crawls

I then went on the stair master for 10 minutes. Gee, that was a lot of fun. NOT!

Dinner last night was chicken thighs seasoned with a BBQ rub and baked along with a side salad.

Have a great day!

#20533 Seltzer, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  14. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I kind of like seeing the grass all littered with the blossoms when that happens (prefer them on the trees though). Enjoy the Passover Seder preparation--I think I recall from previous years that you really have this down.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm with you about the blossoms; they're on the ground, but I prefer them on the trees.

Thanks about the Seder. You're right, I do have it down. I keep the menu traditional with sometimes a new wrinkle with a dish or two. That will be happening this year. For this meal in particular I've found when I float the idea of going too far astray I get negative feedback; the masses want pretty much same-same so I oblige them. That I enjoy everything that will be served also helps. :)

Update

Exercise for the day is rest. :lol:

In a short while I'm going to head to the kitchen; we're on schedule for our guests to arrive about 6:30. It's going to be a crowd of nine.

In non fitness news, dear daughter, who doesn't graduate until August, was offered a job this morning that meets all of her requirements. I'm very happy for her as she has worked very hard to be in this position. She hasn't accepted yet, but if all goes as planned she'll be moving to MA at the end of the summer.

Happy Passover to those who celebrate and to everyone TGIF!

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Happy Passover

Seltzer likes this.
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you. Guests will be here any minute and I'm happy to write that I'm where I need to be regarding prep.

18. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Great news for your daughter. I remember I was anxious about finding a good job before graduating, even though I was working for 2 years before that.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Toomuch. As everyone knows job hunting is a drag and fortunately in this case the job came to her as she was recommended by her academic supervisor to the company. She has not yet accepted because she wants to have a more in depth conversation with me and wifey when she comes home on Monday. Based on my last phone conversation with her if I was a betting person I'd bet on the side of her accepting.

Update

Last night went really well, but it was a long day and late night that left me and wifey quite tired this morning. Still we made it to the gym and although we weren't at our best it was the right decision to go.

The menu last night was:

Chopped liver
    Gefilte fish

Matzo ball soup

Red wine braised brisket
    Orange and ginger glazed carrots
    Matzo and spinach bake

Assorted desserts

We're going to be laying low today and tonight.

Have a great day!

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Great news for DD. While I know you and DW are happy for her, I would imagine there is some sadness that she will be moving away too.

The menu sounded great. One question though

Chicken, beef, or beaver?

(Sorry Jaer, I couldn't resist)