1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks!

Update

Exercise for the day was an eight mile hike. It was pretty flat and had us walking on both wooded forest floors and sandy beaches. While exposed there was a considerable wind; fortunately most of the latter half had a tail wind. Afterward the group went out to lunch. Fun times.

Have a great day!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sunday got started with five rounds of:

Rower
    Bosu ball squat holds with a Db
    One arm Db squat presses
    Kb dead lifts
    Heavy ropes
    TRX table top rows

Wifey spoke with someone who was on the hike with us and we did ten miles, not the eight that I mentioned yesterday.

No cooking last night; we had a big and late lunch so wifey and I scrounged the leftovers in the refrigerator.

It's a beautiful day outside and the best way I can envision spending the afternoon is getting my paperwork in order so I'm prepared for my accountant tomorrow. :blank:

Have a great day!

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Is hiking a new activity?

As soon as I finish this reply, I am starting on my taxes. Doesn't take me long, I use Turbotax, and import everything I can.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, the hiking is new; the first hike was last month and we hope to do about eight or so a year. Wifey's sister was the one who came up with the idea.

Good luck with your taxes.

Update

Monday morning at the gym was three rounds of:

Ball planks
    Incline sit ups
    One arm Db squat presses
    Heavy ropes
    Renegade rows
    Ab wheel roll outs
    Ball slams

Dinner last night was roasted leg of lamb and the side was sautéed string beans.

Have a great day!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise so far was walking dear dog for 60 minutes.

Dinner last night was red bell peppers stuffed with sautéed eggplant and topped with mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I got the day started with about a dozen exercises broken up into two groups. The first grouping had two rounds and the second grouping had three. Among the fun was:

Heavy ropes
    TRX pullups
    Bear crawls
    Explosive step ups
    One arm Kb swings
    Two arm Kb swings
    Bb curls
    One arm Db presses
    Kb goblet squats
    Walkouts with a push up

A couple of others that I can't remember right now.

Dinner last night was pan seared pork chops with a paprika cream sauce and the side was corn.

Have a great day!

7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

10 miles is a nice hike.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes it is. The folks in the group have varying degrees of fitness and while nobody is really out of shape some had a tougher time than others. From what I can tell everyone had a great time and is looking forward to next month's hike.

9. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The 'fun' described in your morning workout sounds both ironic and genuine--the sign of a challenging workout! A ten mile hike is a really good distance. A nice way to spend time with people, too. Last summer we made an effort to hike almost every weekend and it was a lot of fun; looking forward to starting that up again in May.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You're right on all counts. They are all challenging, but I wouldn't want to miss the workouts; that written I'm not exactly sad when they're over. :-) An unexpected consequence of being in this routine is that so are others and wifey and I have expanded our social circle to include folks from the gym.

To some degree the same thing is happening with the hiking group; aside from my SIL and BIL we don't know anyone and many of them know each other, but now that we have two hikes under our belts we're starting to make acquaintances. No doubt walking for a few hours gives people plenty of time to socialize.

Update

Three rounds this morning of:

Frog crawls
    Db two arm squat presses
    Low plank around the worlds
    Kb deadlifts
    Mountain climbers
    Jumping jacks while holding heavy ropes
    TRX table top rows
    Db floor presses
    Ball slams
    Some yoga type exercise where you start in a high plank and using your opposite hand touch your ankle

Dinner last night was meatloaf cooked over a wood fire with mesquite and the side was tri color quinoa.

Have a great day!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I really should have run this morning, but instead took dear dog for a three mile walk in the woods. One of these days I'll get back in the groove, but that day is not today. Sad, but true.

Dinner last night was leftovers. In total we had plenty, but not enough of one single thing; the smorgasbord consisted of rice, chicken, pork, eggplant stuffed red peppers, and meatloaf. We ate well, it was an easy cook for me, and no food went to waste. A win on all counts.

Since tonight is the last Friday of the month we're doing our usual and going to see the band that plays at a local tavern once per month.

TGIF!

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Not sad for dear dog. :)

Enjoy the band.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Definitely not sad for dear dog. Thanks about the dog.

The Latest

We may or may not have three of dear son's college friends staying here tonight. Some or all may or may not be eating dinner with us. If here they would like to come see the aforementioned band with us. The timing of breakfast tomorrow may or may not work with their schedule to go into NYC if I'm the one supposed to be cooking, they won't be eating dinner here tomorrow, but all will likely sleep over Saturday night so I may or may not be making breakfast for them on Sunday. As you can see there are a lot of concrete plans. :lol::ohnoes:

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Another no rest work out this morning. Lots of squats and leg stuff with some upper body thrown in for good measure. The pattern I'm seeing is that the no rest protocol is going to be a regular Saturday thing. To be clear, if someone needs a rest or a drink they can do it, but there are no assigned rest periods so everyone decides for themselves. For the record, I hydrated a few times while passing my water bottle, but took no rest breaks. :)

We had none of dear son's friends come over last night; instead they showed up this morning while wifey and I were at the gym and will sleep over tonight after spending the afternoon at the Yankee game and then galivanting in NYC.

Dinner last night was shrimp cooked with lemon zest, parsley, and garlic and then combined with pasta which had a tomato, cream, and vodka sauce. There was also a salad involved.

Have a great day!

15. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Is the Saturday class one where you move from station to station with everyone on a different station? Or is everyone doing the same thing at the same time? Just curious.

A 3 mile walk is nice exercise unless Dear Dog is stopping every few feet to sniff (like mine do).

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mac, the circuit is broken up into groups of three or four and your little group proceeds normally clockwise. The real fun happens when there's a counter clockwise change as there's always one or two who get totally confused. For the record that has never happened to me. :-)

Dear dog is a sniffer so our walks aren't high aerobic, but she likes to run so I'll occasionally break into a sprint with her. More accurately, a sprint for me and a fast walk for dear dog.

Update

Four rounds of:

Kb farmer walks
    Slider mountain climbers
    A core exercise involving a duffel bag on your abdomen, one leg elevated on a stool, and one leg up in the air and doing hip thrusts
    TRX table top rows
    Lateral sprints
    Contra lateral explosive step ups with a kb. I was definitely a bit wobbly toward on the last two rounds with these.

If it stops raining I'd like to take dear dog for a walk this afternoon.

Dear son and his friends came home many hours after me and wifey went to bed; I briefly spoke with dear son this AM and he said they had a fine time hanging out in the city and at the game although the Yankees lost.

I had no interest in cooking last night so wifey and I went out to my favorite casual restaurant for dinner. Since this is an exercise forum I'll add that we walked to and fro, about 1.5 miles in total.

Have a great day!

17. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Walking to restaurants is so nice; I don't know what it is about the experience but it elevates it for me. It reminds me of being on vacation, maybe.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I enjoy it also. It's hard to totally articulate, but at a minimum getting some steps in after a meal helps things settle down and to some degree extends the social experience of the meal out.

IMHO, we're ideally located. A couple of blocks to a town park with tennis and basketball courts, a baseball field, a town pool, open space, and a world renowned flower garden. At the top of my block is a few hundred acres of woods and the walk into town is about .75 of a mile where there is the usual service places plus a number of restaurants of different cuisines and price points. We're also in easy walking distance to the bus and train into NYC. The downside is that my real estate taxes are exorbitant.

Update

No dog walk yet; wifey just took her to get groomed and since it's stopped raining we may go out when they get back.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I just read the Governor of NJ, has an annual salary for being governor of 175K, his annual real estate taxes are 200K. :) (but his net worth is 50 million, according the google).

:confused:

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It happens. :nod:

Update

Three rounds this AM of:

Ball planks
    Db goblet squats
    Lat pulldowns
    Db single arm squat presses
    Heavy ropes
    Seated rows
    Incline sit ups
    Ab wheel roll outs

I didn't think I had much in me, but was very satisfied with how I performed.

I was back in the kitchen last night and gave an on sale chuck roast a sous vide bath before searing. Tender and tasty for $2.99 a pound. :) The side was roasted cauliflower.

Have a great day!