1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sir, you are anything but lazy.

Update

I had some errands to take care of and I walked to do them, probably about 2.5 miles in total.

At the risk of having plans change, I'll write that it's me and dear son for dinner tonight and I'll be making a carb oriented dish since we rarely eat any at dinner and he loves them. Linguini and clam sauce is what I'm planning along with a side salad. After dinner plan is to read.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thursday fun at the gym was four rounds of:

Forward lunge twists with a duffel bag
    Db floor chest presses
    Kb explosive step ups
    Glider mountain climbers
    Kb lateral lunges
    Burpees
    Rower

My right shoulder continues to bother me, but since I think it's more soreness than injury I didn't modify anything.

Dinner last night....when will learn? I did preface my comment about last night with a caveat that plans may change and they did as dear son and I went out for dinner. Since I was set for linguini and clam sauce that's what I ordered. :lol:

Have a great day!

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

How did it compare with what you would have made? :)

Hope shoulder feels better.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Of course mine would have been better. :D More seriously, they were similar, but not quite the same so it may come down to induvial tastes. I will write that there were no leftovers so I clearly enjoyed it and didn't exercise any portion control. :(

Thanks. I'll probably rest it tomorrow with the hope that things will be fine by Saturday.

Update

Dear dog is having a needy day; very energetic, even for her, and wanting attention so I think wifey and I will take her for a long walk later this afternoon.

No chance I'm going to write about dinner plans, but will state that I plan on reading after dinner.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My shoulder is feeling a lot better so I should be fine to move iron tomorrow, but taking a precautionary approach I'm going to fully rest it today. I did get some extra functional exercise yesterday that didn't negatively impact anything. For a while we've had an old style 32" TV sitting unused in our basement and wifey posted an ad on FB Marketplace to get it out of our house and into someone's who will use it. Price = zero so the only cost was travel time and moving it. The person who came to get it was in his early 20's and we had no trouble getting to his car.

Dinner last night was a chuck roast that I sous vided to tenderize the meat and then roasted it with various spices. It turned out to be a tender delicious hunk of cow for $2.99 (on sale). The side was roasted string beans.

TGIF!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My shoulder didn't hold up as well as I hoped, but I was still able to complete what I needed to with an occasional rest. We did five different supersets with four rounds before moving on to the next set.

As some may remember the Seltzer kids and my sister have an ongoing foodie challenge. The set up is a cuisine is decided upon and each of them gets to choose a restaurant which is then evaluated in various ways. Wifey and I have been to a few of the gatherings, but we don't have any voting privileges. :lol: The latest cuisine choice is tacos and we were invited to join them last night. Now before any goes Taco Bell on me I can assure you that this very informal place serves gourmet tacos. For instance, I had an Ahi tuna taco with sesame seeds, scallion, and mango as well as a smoked brisket taco with cole slaw and onions. We shared sides of rice with charred poblano peppers and cilantro and ears of Mexican street corn.

After taking care of some house stuff the balance of the day is going to be filled with football and reading. All indications point to a quiet evening at home.

Have a great day.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I can relate to that. :( Hope it fully recovers quickly.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Unfortunately you can. Thanks for the good wishes. It feels fine now and I'll test later this AM, but I'm not going to push it. Originally I thought it was pure soreness, but since it's persisted, at a low level, for almost a week I think it may be more than that.

Update

I probably won't have time to post after my workout, but rest assured I'll be at the gym in about 60 minutes. After that it's a trip to my father's grave as today would have been his 86th birthday. The afternoon will be filled with my annual season ending football pool party. Since I finished 3rd out of about 70 teams I have some bragging rights. And cash. :) Based on previous years the food choices will be wings and pizza so I'm expecting a sodium bloat tomorrow. Alcohol consumption won't be an issue since I'm driving.

Have a great day!

9. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

What is it with JSF and shoulders? Hope yours feels better soon. Enjoy your Football party

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I consider tacos a really great food! I just saw a documentary on Hulu about a well-known LA Times food critic (the late Jonathan Gold, the film was called 'City of Gold') and he talks a little bit about tacos in it and it reminds me that they're a cool way to experiment with different flavors and ingredients.

Geez, the more threads I catch up on the more I see shoulder injuries. Heal up!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks gents about my shoulder. Whatever is going on is minor, but noticeable.

Ianmez, interesting perspective on tacos, especially when one moves beyond the totally traditional, at least in the US, of ground beef and various toppings.

Update

The football party was low key yet a lot of fun. Food choices were wings and pizza and I limited myself to two wings and two small slices of pizza. There were also two beers involved. Not my usual Sunday afternoon fare, but given the circumstances not too bad over the course of four hours.

I had a historic workout this AM. Unfortunately the epicness (is that a word???) was on the wrong side of the ledger. IOW it was terrible. My shoulder was bothering me, my lower back was bothering me, and my breathing, or lack thereof, caused my recovery time to be far longer than normal. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement, but I know I did what I could, the results were not due to lack of effort, and I am looking forward to having a good showing next time.

Have a great day!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Usually Tuesdays are not a high level exercise day for me and today will be no exception. I'm definitely a bit "off" and I think a day of total rest will serve me well. At most my activity for the day will be taking dear dog for a walk. :blank:

Dinner last night was chicken thighs that I cooked over apple wood and sautéed baby bella mushrooms.

Have a great day!

13. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Rest days are as important as lifting days, as I often need to remind myself.

Jaer
    got his rest day this weekend due to snow. Sure he has to shovel, but it was the light, fluffy kind.

14. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope the rest served you well (and I agree with Jaer, they're important and I'm trying to get that drilled into my own thick skull).

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I still struggle with being totally sedentary for a day, which in some ways is a good thing because it means that I still have the energy. That written, yesterday's day off was the right decision. More below.

Update

Redemption. To write that I had a much better workout than Monday isn't necessarily saying much given how lousy the previous one was, but I can state that this morning's fun was in the normal range so that's good. Four rounds of three different exercises. Forty five seconds on and about ten seconds to move to the next. In totally wrong order and grouping there were:

Burpees
    Table top TRX rows
    Ball slams
    Up downs
    Push ups
    Db squat presses
    Db front lunges
    Db explosive step ups
    Jump squats off a riser box

I didn't get any snow last weekend like Jaer did, but if the forecasts are correct I'll have some shoveling in my near term future.

Dinner last night was meatballs with tomato sauce served over spaghetti squash. I used the second half of a bunch of meatballs I made a while ago, but had to make the sauce. Not really labor intensive, but I had to be around to stir every once in a while.

Have a great day!

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Say it ain't so. :)

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've read numerous forecasts and have spoke with people and there doesn't not seem to be any meteorologist consensus as it all depends upon temperature, but everything I've heard has pointed to us getting at least a couple of inches. Who knows? Certainly not me.

18. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah got a few inches, like 4-6 I think. Messed with construction plans. I hope this week remains clear. H and I have plans this weekend.

Jaer
    also doesn't want to lose more days working on the house.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We have a some travel plans on both weekend days so I hope that the snow doesn't interfere with either of them. I can deal with what you got last weekend and whatever happens this weekend I have additional firepower because dear daughter's BF and dear son's friend from college are both staying with us and I will not be hesitant to get those 20 something muscles to help do what is needed. :)

Update

Today's workout was similar to yesterday's. Four rounds of three different exercises, 40-45 seconds on and 10 seconds off. In no particular order or grouping there were:

Db squats
    Heavy ropes
    Push ups
    Up downs
    TRX rows
    Forward box runs
    Walk outs
    Burpees
    Squat jumps

Dinner last night was breaded pork chops with a side of roasted eggplant. I won't write about dinner tonight because it so often changes, but if all goes as planned there will be cod involved. Currently have a chuck roast in a sous vide bath that after tenderizing I'm going to shock and then cook tomorrow on my Big Green Egg. Either tomorrow or Saturday I plan on making a chili for Sunday's dinner so that we can have an informal dinner while watching the AFC championship game. Gonna be interesting; dear daughter's BF is a huge Pats fan as is dear son's friend and me and dear son, while not KC Chiefs fans per se, will be rooting for them. The Seltzer women really don't care. :bored: :lol:

Have a great day!

20. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yum!

Wait, what? Like electrocute? Or cold water? Or maybe some really unexpected insults?

Yum!

Jaer
    seriously wants to know what the shocking is about.