1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you and the same to you. :)

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The car is rolling in ten minutes. A happy end of 2018 and New Year to all.

Have a great day!

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Happy New Year.

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Enjoy your trip and HNY!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you gents!

Update

I trust all had a happy New Year's Eve.

A quick recap on our road trip. Lots of driving, lots of fun, and lots of rain. I won't bore anybody with what we did, but will share on great coincidence. Wifey posted a picture of the four Seltzers while we were in Charleston, SC on FB and the daughter of a very good friend from college, she and her husband were one of the couples that stayed at our house a few weekends ago, saw it and called her parents because they also were in the city. So we met them late afternoon for a stroll around town, drinks, went our separate ways for dinner because we couldn't get into the restaurant where they had reseravations, met up afterward, and had breakfast together the following morning before they continued their trip home.

Moving on to more JSF pertinent information, I didn't gain any weight while away and my self grading for the following categories is:

Food choices: B+
    Portion control: B
    Empty calories
    For a vacation: C
    For regular life: F​
    Exercise:
    Hard: D
    Walking B+​

I was at the gym for my usual early Wednesday workout and there was some struggling, but that was to be expected as is the soreness that will set in. Four rounds of:

Db one arm snatch cleans
    Up downs
    Db one arm squats with a press
    Kb one arm swings
    Db Turkish sit ups
    Db two point rows
    Mountain climbers
    Lastly, I came in third overall in my football pool. :-):claphigh:

Have a great day!

6. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Happy New Year! That's an awesome coincidence!

Jaer
    has a similar thing happen this year. The in-laws trip to the Outer Banks fell on the same week some of our friends were on a family trip there as well...and they were only staying 10 minutes away!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    And a happy new year to you. Yes, the coincidence was pretty awesome as was your inlaws'. Had wifey not posted the picture we would have never know.

Update

Four rounds of:

Db two arm shoulder presses
    Low planks with hip touches
    Elevated box runs
    Push ups
    High step skipping, yes at you did as a kid, but with bringing your leg up as high as possible
    Duffel bag squats with a leg kick
    Db two point rows

Dinner last night was chicken soup and a casserole made from the chicken that came off the bone.

Have a great day!

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

What are elevated box runs?

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Think back to the 1980's when Jane Fonda and others, I presume, were producing videos in which people were supposed to exercise utilizing a bench that was either flat on the floor or elevated using risers. A rough estimate of the bench at my gym is 2.5' long and 1.5 wide. The exercise yesterday was running, going back and forth, so one foot was landing on the bench while the other was returning to the floor. Rinse and repeat.

Update

I'm not as sore as I anticipated, which I guess is a good thing. I was expecting to feel the most DOMS in my upper body, yet it's my quads that are most noticeable. That didn't stop me from taking dear dog for a three mile walk this AM.

I caught a break with dinner last night. I was planning on making shrimp with a Schezuan (sp??) inspired sauce, but before I started wifey asked me to make shrimp and grits instead which is much easier. While on our road trip her avoidance of carbs at dinner was left at home and she had grits almost every day. :lol:

For the first time in a long time we have no social plans for the weekend and I'm fine with that. The rocking and rolling starts again next weekend. We'll likely go out to dinner tonight and I plan on staying home tomorrow night, cooking, and enjoying a nice evening around the fire pit that wifey got me for the holidays.

TGIF!

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Saturday morning fun was four rounds of:

Double Db presses with a reverse lunge
    Up downs
    Turkish get ups
    Kb goblet squats
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Rower

In between about one third of the exercises we had to do some auxiliary stuff like pushups and planks.

We went to the movies last night at one of those dine in theaters and ate dinner there. Super comfortable chairs and overpriced so-so food. Believe it or not one of the healthier choices was flat bread pizza and that's what I had. Tonight we're staying at home and I'll be reverse searing a couple of rib eyes and the sides will be a wild rice pilaf and roasted broccoli.

Have a great day!

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You left out the important information, what movie did you see? :) I have never been to one of those types of theaters, but it is on my list. I recently saw Vice. It wasn't made by Michael Moore, but if you didn't know who made it, he would be who you guessed. That type of movie in my opinion is more of a DVD rental type movie, it is better to see a movie made for the movie theater experience. But on New Years Day, the good movies at this theater were sold out. :(

12. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Do they serve you dinner during the movie or before?

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My bad. We saw The Mule with Clint Eastwood and Bradley Cooper. I enjoyed it, but solely from the perspective of a lack of expansive visuals IMHO it's a movie that can be watched at home and equally enjoyed.

Whenever you want it. There's a little button on the side of the chair to summon the wait person.

Update

Sunday morning fun was four rounds of:

TRX mid level rows
    Db two point rows
    Lateral box runs
    High planks with hip touches
    Squats with double Db presses
    Db goblet hold reverse lunges
    Heavy ropes

I have some house puttering to take care of and then it's NFL playoff football time.

Dinner plans are undecided; if I get some motivation to go to the market we'll have a fish oriented dinner, but I'm more leaning toward defrosting something in the house and cooking it. :D

Have a great day!

14. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Happy New Year and good to see you got right back into the thick of it with your workouts.

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I thought maybe you intentionally didn't mention it, because you hated the movie. I plan on seeing the Mule on DVD eventually.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Three rounds this morning of:

Seated Bb shoulder presses
    Kb goblet squats
    Kb dead lifts
    TRX mid rows
    Push ups
    Db bench rows
    Incline push ups
    High planks

Dinner last night was somewhere in between a quiche and an omelet with ham being the meat.

Have a great day!

17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Which is how I judge when to go to the movies.

I have always managed to resist pushing the button. That level of power is to dangerous in my hands.

Jaer
    would have a steady stream of food in constant delivery. And then he'd be broke. Forever.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We normally do the same, which is why we don't go to the movies very often.

[QUOTE="Jaer, post: 932150, member: 2921"I have always managed to resist pushing the button. That level of power is to dangerous in my hands.

Jaer
    would have a steady stream of food in constant delivery. And then he'd be broke. Forever.[/QUOTE]

With the prices the theater charges any food/beverage purchase will make you wallet a lot lighter. A steady stream.....fugetabout it. :nod:

Update

I'm pretty sore today and since Tuesday is normally a low activity exercise day I'm going to stick with that. Maybe some light at home exercises and I've already walked three miles, but that will be it.

Dinner last night was cod with a crab meat topping; the side was corn.

Have a great day!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Early morning fun at the gym. Five supersets done five times before moving to the next combo. Forty seconds on ten off.

Push ups and lateral box runs
    Ball slams and squats holds while holding a plate with arms fully extended
    Renegade rows with knees tucked about one inch off the ground and bear hug duffel bag squats
    Heavy ropes and bear crawl lateral shuffles
    Ab wheel rollouts and planks with a rotation on a large ball

Dinner last night was roasted pork loin with a side of edamame.

Have a great day!

20. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:

Good lord, reading your workouts makes me feel lazy.

Jaer
    just laid down on a bench and slowly moved a bar up and down.

macdiver likes this.