1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks!

You're welcome.

Update

Exercise for the day was taking dear dog for a three mile walk.

Dinner last night was sesame chicken with a side of corn. No cooking tonight because of my book club meeting.

TGIF!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A very nice book club meeting last night; I was disciplined regarding food and beverage choices and portion control, but came home to wifey and a neighbor having a fireside drink and I joined in.

This morning's gym fun was four rounds of:

Ab wheel rollouts
    Kb goblet squats
    Walkouts
    Something I can't remember right now
    Pushups
    TRX mid level rows
    Double Db presses while kneeling on a Bosu ball

And because that wasn't enough fun we also had five or six mountain climber sessions in between some of the exercises. Mr. Evil Trainer didn't pull that out of his bag of tricks until the middle of round three. :blank:

No plans for dinner as of yet.

Have a great day!

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Four rounds at the gym of:

Low plank twists
    Single arm/leg Kb deadlifts
    Weighted sit ups
    Single arm Kb swings
    Db two point rows
    Burpees

And in between each round there were push ups.

Dinner tonight is going to be an eye round roast with a side of roasted eggplant.

Have a great day!

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Roasted eggplant...mmm. :eat:

Do you find that the books you read for book club are generally ones you like or is it more of a mix? (It seems like there are so many more reasons to do it other than the books but I'm just curious; I've idly thought about joining a book club and have never taken action on it).

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    For reasons that I won't bore anyone with we did not have the dinner last night that I mentioned yesterday. Going out on a limb, we should be having it tonight.

About the book club, we have a spelled out choosing sequence among our members and when it's a person's turn there's no debating the pick. My wife's club votes on a variety of books, which I've seen by experiences in her club can lead to a bit of chaos and hurt feelings. I've been in my club for over nine years and thoroughly enjoy it. Certainly there have been books I liked more than others, but I've also read a number of books I wouldn't have if I wasn't in the club. We truly discuss the book and people come prepared, unlike another book club I'm aware of :rolleyes: where often someone has not read the book and the group is asked to not discuss it because the person intends on reading it. Crazy as that may seem for a BOOK club meeting I witnessed this situation at one meeting that wifey was hosting and while not the norm, it wasn't an isolated case. Getting back to my group, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I also like the comradery, the food, and the beverages; IOW I'm a proponent, but I also think it's dependent on the folks in the group.

Update

Trainer fun today was three rounds of:

Incline Bb bench presses
    Table top TRX rows
    Push ups
    Db bench rows
    Incline push ups
    Low planks
    Leg raises
    Bicycle crunches

Have a great day!

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I would never admit that I didn't finish the book, I would be too embarrassed. I would pretend, participate in the discussion on the parts I did read, then not have much to say.:) I am sure that wouldn't fool anyone, but that would be my plan.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The incentive to be able to participate about all aspects of the book is a powerful, at least to me, reason to finish it. In my club we once had a member announce upon arrival that he didn't read the book and was at the meeting for the food. It took him years to live that one down. :lol: Clearly there's not such a stigma in wifey's group although it annoys the crap out of her. :ohnoes:

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

My wife just started a book club in our neighborhood. Their book selection is easy. They joined the book club at the library. Each month the library gives them the book to read and a discussion sheet to facilitate the discussion. Currently there are only 3 members and they have all finished the book but they have only meet twice. I have a feeling that there will be a time someone says I didn't finish (start) the book but they wont say don't discuss it. No bets on who I think it will be.

If I were in a book club, I would be ok if someone didn't read the book that month due to life, but either dont come or come recognizing everyone is there to discuss the book.

9. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My wife had a book club where that happened a lot, too--pople having not completed the book; I don't think they ever didn't discuss the book to avoid spoilers, but it does lead to other complications. She started the club in the circle of friends, and more people than she expected said yes to joining the club. Several of whom weren't really readers, and low-and-behold, those people often never read the book. Which led to them having side conversations and derailing the book discussion because they weren't interested in the discussion.

Why did they join the book club to begin with?

Well, my circle of guy friends, most of which dates back to college, is pretty tight. The female side mainly known each other and socialize because they married in to the group. Some of them have close friends, but as a group, they don't mesh as well. H spread a wide net when inviting people cause she didn't want the non-readers to hear about the club and feel left out. H just assumed they wouldn't want to join. Instead, they viewed it as social gathering, and I guess figured they didn't want to be left out and have everyone else be getting together and getting chummy without them.

I think that club lasted 6 books? It kind of just fizzled out cause half the group wanted to discuss the book and the other half just wanted to socialize, and no one was comfortable telling the nonreaders to shove off. And the group was so large, it was hard to host.

Jaer
    doth now end the tale of the tragic downfall of his beloved wife's book club! Let these words be a lesson to you: Invite not the nonreaders to your book club.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My local library also organizes book clubs and I think it's a great idea to facilitate people to read and meet. In my case I knew about half the group before joining.

Regarding your second paragraph I'm in agreement. Yes, life sometimes gets in the way, but if you haven't read the book and are going to show up at a meeting there should be no expectation that the book will not be discussed or that a request of such is reasonable.

Your conclusion about the joining the club due to social considerations without fully realizing the obligation to read the book sounds to me what the mindset of the non readers were. Bummer that the non readers sabotaged the club.

Update

Gonna be a low key exercise day, possibly limited to a walk with dear dog.

Dinner last night was the delayed one from Sunday; tonight is undecided at the moment.

Have a great day!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Four rounds of:

Ab wheel rollouts
    TRX one leg squats
    One arm Kb swings
    Push ups with one arm on a riser
    Ball slams while standing on a Bosu ball
    Lateral shuffle with a burpee and push up at each end

Dinner last night was roasted pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes.

Have a great day!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Gym fun this AM was four rounds of:

Lateral shuffles
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Rower
    Single arm Db squat presses
    Low planks
    Ball slams

In between every round we did push ups and jump squats.

Dinner last night was baked chicken thighs with a mushroom gravy and tri color cous cous.

Have a great day!

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Is the "Rower" a rowing machine?

Getting back to book clubs, they should have a site for books (like Rotten Tomatoes, which rates movies: people score them, and movie critics score them (for those not familiar with the site)). Surprisingly, many times the reviews for critics and the public aren't even close. Maybe there is a site I am unaware with. It would make sense, since you are investing a lot more time reading a book than a movie. I know the Amazon book reviews are sort of the same thing, but not exactly.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, when I write "Rower" I'm referring to a rowing machine.

As for book ratings, if looking for an Amazon alternative check out Goodreads.com and Bookish.com for suggestions and reviews. I'm sure there are others, but those are two I'm aware of.

Update

I had a full agenda for the day and after getting some of it done around 2 went downstairs to read the newspaper on my living room couch and fell asleep for almost three hours. :eek: I've been up for about thirty five minutes, but am definitely discombobulated, almost like I went out for a three martini lunch. Needless to write my agenda did not get completed, which means more to do tomorrow since some is time sensitive. .

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp cooked with garlic and butter and the side is going to be French cut string beans.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise has been nill today, but in other areas I have been productive. Rest assured I'll be at the gym tomorrow AM.

Dear daughter is meeting dear son in Manhattan for dinner so at most I'm cooking for two. Based on my latest info, friends of ours are closing on a restaurant today; if the transaction went as planned I'm going to float the idea to wifey that we have dinner there.

TGIF!

16. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope you get to have dinner at your friends' restaurant--how exciting.

Thanks for the information about the book club. I've actually never spoken to anyone who was in one before. Maybe I'll consider it for 2020.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The legal switch of the restaurant's ownership we delayed, but I'm sure we'll be there shortly after the change in ownership is complete.

You're welcome about the book club info.

Update

Wifey and I were at the gym both Saturday morning and earlier today.

Eating has been so-so. We wound up going to dinner with some friends on Friday and yesterday attended a birthday party of a relative. Generally decent choices and portion control, but I can feel the sodium bloat.

Have a great day!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day is going to be the walking I did to meet a friend for breakfast and maybe some push ups later.

In the mid afternoon we're going to my MIL's house and will be having what really is a traditional Irish breakfast for dinner. Lots of fat and sodium so I will be bloated once again come tomorrow. If all goes according to plan when we get home from my Mil's we'll be going to a b'day party for a very good friend of ours. Fortunately it's across the street.

In case I don't have time to get online tomorrow, Merry Christmas to all who celebrate and a great day to everyone!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Normally on Wednesdays I'm at the gym by 5:45. I was so tired from the past activities I knew that wasn't going to happen so I didn't bother setting my alarm and wound up waking up around 8:30. Guess I really did need that sleep. I'm debating about whether or not to go later today; I really should because tomorrow AM we're going on a road trip; we'll be bringing an ab wheel, TRX straps, and we'll be doing a lot of walking so the opportunity for exercise is present. We're bringing a bunch of healthy snacks, but all meals will be in restaurants.

We're heading south with our first stop in Virginia Beach to see one of my best and longest time friends. We're then heading to Charleston SC for three nights and on NYE day will drive to Richmond VA where we will ring in the new year. Dear dog will be staying at the spa.

Dinner tonight is going to involve a turkey soup I made from the carcass of the bird that my BIL cooked yesterday.

Per my norm, I probably won't get online while away so best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year's holiday to all.

20. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Have a great trip.

Happy New Year to the Seltzer Family.

Seltzer likes this.