1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Another super set workout that was similar yet not the same as the one earlier in the week. I'm not going to attempt to recount the exercises or their order, but there were lots of squat variations along with core work and cardio. And, just for fun, some pushups. :) Later today wifey and I are going to take dear dog on a walk.

Dinner last night was grilled flank steak and spinach quiche. The steak was already cooked and unsliced leftovers from when Macdiver was at the Seltzer compound last weekend that I gently reheated using my sous vide device. Easy and tasty.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Every time I see that "sous vide", I am tempted to google it, but never have.

I like how you refer to your house as the "Seltzer compound".:)

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sous vide is a cooking method in which you use a circulator to bring water up to the temperature that you want the finished product to be. The product is placed in the water in a sealed plastic bag and then it's just a matter of time. The longer the product is in the water the more tender it will be, but it will never rise above the temperature you set the water at. After removing from the water a quick sear is needed to add additional flavor.

The term compound is pretty much tongue in cheek; the compound is a single family home with a detached garage. No east wing, no west wing, no carriage or guest house, maids quarters or whatever compounds have.

Update

Gonna be a quiet night at home. Dinner is going to be the pastrami I made that will be served on rye bread along with pickles and homemade coleslaw.

macdiver likes this.
  4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A solid workout out this morning. Five rounds of:

Rower
    Up downs with alternating arm extensions
    Double Db squat presses
    Kb deadlifts
    Heavy ropes
    Lateral shuffles

No cooking tonight because we're going out with my sister to celebrate her upcoming b'day.

Have a great day!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Three rounds of:

Ball planks
    Ball slams
    Double Db squat presses
    Heavy ropes
    Incline sit ups
    Renegade rows
    Ab wheel roll outs

No cooking tonight because we're going to my MIL's house and will eat there.

Have a great day!

macdiver likes this.
  6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day so far has been walking (to breakfast :lol:) with some pushups to come. Between yesterday and today I've been slacking with my hydration so I'm go to address that this afternoon.

I'm going to have to figure out a plan B for dinner because I just realized I don't have all the ingredients and I don't feel like going to the market. On a more successful note, I've started curing a pork belly that will be turned into bacon next week and I'm also smoking some cheese at the request of wifey.

Have a great day!

#20246 Seltzer, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    macdiver likes this.
  7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

:drool:

Bacon and smoked cheese. :eat:

Seltzer likes this.
  8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm looking forward to eating both. The bacon is the result of stumbling across a pork belly I really like the looks of and although I have a couple of pounds of smoked cheese mellowing out in my downstairs refrigerator as well as having a little bit upstairs, wifey brought home a couple of pounds of while sharp cheddar on Sunday for me to smoke. Being the obliging husband, I did. :-) I know I mentioned that I was going to give you some smoked cheddar to take home after the marathon, which was from the same batch that we had on Satuday, but completely forgot on Sunday. My bad.

Plan B Dinner Update

We're going to have meatloaf that I'm cooking on my Big Green Egg, roasted potatoes, and sautéed spinach.

I'll be going to be bed shortly after dinner so that I can be at the gym tomorrow at 5:45.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Five rounds of seven different exercises. I don't know the names of some of them, but there were burpees, squats, heavy ropes, ball slams, ball planks, TRX rows, and duffel bag cleans involved.

Have a great day!

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Too many exercises to list, but there were variations of squat presses, pushups, planks, burpees, lunges, and TRX exercises.

Wifey's book club is meeting here tonight and I'll assume the sous chef role this afternoon. Dear daughter is out of town so it will be dear son and me for dinner. Where we will be going is in the negotiating phase.

Have a great day!

11. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

No problem. I had forgotten also. I will be trying this once I'm home again

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day was shoveling very heavy snow.

Wifey's book club meeting was cancelled due to inclement weather so after scaling down the offerings and eliminating the appys we had them for dinner. Steak, mashed potatoes, roasted string beans, roasted garlic, and caramelized onions. Dessert was an apple pie wifey baked.

TGIF!

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It was customer appreciation at the gym which somehow translated into my trainer being extra mean. Virtually no breaks for sixty minutes. It's over and nobody died so that's good.

We're leaving in about 45 minutes to attend a day long b'day party so no cooking for me tonight. Last night we had portabella mushrooms stuffed with sautéed eggplant and topped with muenster cheese. Lots of cooking tomorrow because we're having a small gathering at the house. Food details tomorrow.

Have a great day!

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

:lol:

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Four rounds this morning of:

Db goblet hold reverse lunges
    Db alternating squat presses
    Kb alternating deadlifts
    Turkish getups
    Heavy ropes
    TRX rows

During rounds three and four we had to do pushups in between every exercise. I'm not sure of the duration, but I was usually able to bang out six good ones.

My guests are coming at 3 and I'm in good shape. Lots of dietary restrictions for a small crowd, but I came up with the following:

Shrimp salad with homemade wonton cups
    Butter bean and cumin hummus with crudité

Spring mix salad with mustard vinaigrette

Indonesian ginger chicken
    Tri color couscous
    Roasted asparagus

We're supplying fruit for dessert and we'll have whatever else our guests bring.

Have a great day!

16. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:

Your workouts and food sound even more interesting than I remember. All of this stuff sounds delicious and the workouts sound really intense.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you about the food and I'm trying to fight the good fight in the gym. :-)

Update

Three rounds of:

Incline chest presses
    Kb step ups
    Renegade rows
    Bb curls
    Low planks
    Leg raises
    Crunches
    Heavy rope fun

Considering that I didn't believe I had a lot of energy this morning I pleasantly surprised myself with how I did.

Dinner tonight is going to be leftovers.

Have a great day!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I was at the market about one minute after it opened and the place was pretty darn crowded, more so than I ever remember. I survived and came home without any bruises and with all that I needed, much of which besides the usual was for dear daughter's friendsgiving party on Saturday. Since that really wasn't enough exercise :lol: I'm going to do a light workout later this morning. Ideally I would run, but my hip is not "right" and since I'm not training for anything I'm going to give it some additional time to settle down. One of these days I'll be able to write about good runs that I had, but that day is not today.

Dinner tonight is going to be seared shrimp in a smoked tomato cream sauce with the sides being a spring mix salad with the mustard vinaigrette dressing I made on Sunday and a to be determined grain.

Have a great day!

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Are these normally recipes you have tried in the past, you make them up yourself, or from a book etc.? That meal sounds like something you would order in a fine restaurant. :bow:

Seltzer likes this.
  20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the kind words. Over the course of a week it's a combination of all of the three things you mentioned, sometimes with modifications about recipes I've read. Tonight is something I've made up and it's the first time I'm making the shrimp and sauce combo. I'm highly confident it will come out well. To your original question, the vinaigrette I made for the salad is a recipe I read and make without any modifications.

Update

A short gym visit involving light Db bench presses, Bb deadlifts, and Db squat presses. Short and to the point and I should be adequately recovered for my normal early (for me) Wednesday workout tomorrow AM.