1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day so far has been a three mile walk with dear dog. That may be the extent of activity other than doing some dancing tonight since it's the last Friday of the month and wifey and I habitually watch a band that plays at a local pub when this time of the month rolls around.

For some reason I've been a bit low with regard to hydrating for the past week and I intend to rectify that starting today. I've already consumed close to a half gallon of water and seltzer and aim to double that before the day ends.

After my last post I decided to make meat loaf using ground beef I had in my freezer for last night's dinner. Here's a pro tip, when seeking to defrost anything in your microwave make sure you hit the Defrost button and not the Cook button. :rolleyes: The mostly cooked meat will be used in a future sauce and I made shrimp cooked with EVOO and butter and sun dried tomatoes. The side was a spring mix salad. If all goes as planned tonight I'm going to be reverse searing rib eye steaks, sautéing mushrooms and onions, and serving a to be determined side.

TGIF!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The day started off with a very good workout. Lots of core work with a smattering of both lower and upper body exercises including, just for fun, burpees and jump squats. In a short while I'll be going on a four mile walk with wifey and dear dog.

Dinner plans are undecided.

Have a great day!

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This morning's workout was tough and I had a tough time with it, but I kept at it and finished in a reasonable fashion.

We're going to my MIL's house this afternoon and will likely eat dinner there.

Starting this evening and lasting until Friday our neighbor's teenage daughter will be staying with us.

Have a great day!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I woke up feeling tired and run down although it was not a strenuous weekend and I was in bed by about 10 last night so I had no reason to feel as I did. Regardless of the reasoning my feeling was reflected in my workout as it was not a gold standard performance despite the effort being made. Three rounds of:

Flat Bb bench presses
    Flat Db flyes
    Flat Bb skull crushers
    Standing Bb curls
    Incline Db chest presses
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Leg raises
    Kb crunches
    Heavy ropes

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp burgers with a side salad. I also a giving a chuck roast and sous vide bath with plans to eat it later in the week.

Have a great day!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exercise for the day is going to be walking as well as moving some furniture.

Plans for dinner are a tomato based meat sauce served over spiralized zucchini and a salad.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Three rounds of twelve exercises:
    Rower
    Skaters
    One arm elevated pushups
    Walk outs
    Kb get ups
    Jumping jacks
    Bosu ball mountain climbers
    Db two point rows
    Kb swings
    Kb deadlifts
    Up downs
    Wood chopper ball slams

Have a great day!

#20166 Seltzer, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good lord that sounds exhausting!

Jaer
    hopes that up downs are you lying on the floor resting for a bit then getting up to do more exercises.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It was fast paced and quite tiring.

I wish the up downs were more of a rest. In reality, you start in a high plank, lower one arm to a low plank position, followed by the same sequence on the other side. As soon as a low plank is achieved you use your original arm, followed by your other arm, to move into a high plank position. Then the fun starts with your other side dropping first. I like your idea better than what the reality is. :lol:

9. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

When I was in the Army, we called a plank the "Front Leaning Rest Position" so Jaer is almost right :lol:

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    They're not easy, but easier than other exercises. The continually transition from high to low planks throws an additional nugget of fun :rolleyes: into the situation.

Update

I was close to punting on today's workout, but got my arse to the gym and I'm glad I did. Despite a decent amount of stretching beforehand my back was not happy with some exercises and I adjusted my pace and weights accordingly.

Dinner last night was baked cod covered with Panko bread crumbs and a side salad. Tonight is going to be linguini and white clam sauce with a to be determined side. I have some dinner ideas for tomorrow, which will not be expressed at the moment, and I also plan on dehydrating apples for a healthy crispy snack.

Have a great day!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Fridays are normally a low exertion day and today will be no exception. I had some errands to take care of which enabled me to get a minimal amount of walking done with plans for a more sustained walk with dear dog this afternoon. Those latter plans have changed because my neighbor's daughter who we've been watching all week became ill at school and I had to pick her up. Leaving her while she's not feeling well wouldn't be the right thing to do.

TGIF!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The day got off to a fine start with a solid workout; it was mainly cardio and core centric with very little strength building exercises. This afternoon we're getting together with a bunch of friends to go apple picking. The group will likely go out for dinner afterward so they'll be no cooking for me tonight. If so, that will be two consecutive days without spending any substantial time in the kitchen because we had leftovers for dinner last night. In other cooking news, I made my best batch of dehydrated apples yesterday.

Have a great day!

IROC-Z likes this.
  13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cardio and core. Good stuff.

What makes this batch of dehydrated apples so good? Did you do something different or was it better apples?

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Can you taste the difference between different types of apples once they are dehydrated? I bought 8 pounds of McIntosh apples at Wegmans. They were not very good, and it was an effort to eat them. If I did have an appliance to dehydrate the apples, that would have been a good way to use them.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would say one could taste the difference between different types of dehydrated apples. I'll be able to do a side by side test later this week because I'm going to dehydrate some of the apples we picked Saturday and there are a different varieties.

Update

No exercise yesterday; I bailed because I went to the Jets-Broncos game with dear son. I was at the gym this morning for three rounds of:

Kb goblet squats
    Db deadlifts
    Bb bench presses
    Pushups
    TRX tabletop rows
    Db two point rows
    High planks

We went out last night so no cooking for me, but I'll be reverse searing the roast I cooked in a sous vide bath last week and will also serve roasted cauliflower.

Have a great day!

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I walked for a few miles and took care of some errands. While out I spent some time contemplating starting to run again. I'll have to start slow and short, but the longer I stay away, assuming no more medical issues or injuries, the more my mindset is moving toward one that doesn't want to put in the effort. In moments of clarity, that's unacceptable. In the days to come I'm going to put together a modest plan and start executing it.

Dinner tonight is going to be Indonesian Ginger Chicken, tri color couscous, and roasted asparagus.

Have a great day!

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

While you haven't been running, you have been doing a lot in the gym. Some of your workouts leave me tired.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for noticing. My time at the gym has surely increased so nobody can accuse me of being a couch potato. I miss running however and plan to lace 'em up later this week. I'm keeping my expectations for the initial runs very low so that I don't blow my brains out afterward when the distance and pace are terrible.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Five non stop rounds of:

Rower
    Single arm Kb reverse lunges
    Renegade rows
    Up downs on a Bosu ball
    Heavy ropes

That was followed by four non stop rounds of:

Rower
    Renegade rows
    Push ups with knee thrusts on a Bosu ball
    Heavy ropes
    Squats with a Db held in front of you with straight arms

Dinner tonight is undecided since I don't know who will be home.

Have a great day!

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No exercise for me today. Yesterday I tweaked the middle right side of my back and I don't have a lot of mobility so I'm going to not stress it and hopefully be able to be back to normal in another day or so. I'm pretty sure I know what exercise caused it, but there was never an instance of pain so I don't know when it happened. It started bothering me shortly after leaving the gym and unfortunately still persists.

Dinner last night was meatloaf with a salad. Tonight I'm making a pork tenderloin with a mango chutney that I'll serve with to be determined sides. As I type I'm also smoking another round of cheese as well as making beef jerky.

Have a great day!