1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Leaving for the gym in a short while and the rest of the day will be filled with Father's Day activities.

Dinner last night was an assortment of appetizers with dear daughter while sitting outside overlooking a lake. I'm not sure what our dinner plans are for tonight, but I know I won't be cooking.

Happy Father's Day!

2. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Happy Father's Day to you Paul. Hope you have a great day!

Seltzer likes this.
  3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you Todd.

Update

Work out is done; another bunch of supersets, some of which were repeats from earlier this week.

Squats, TRX rows, heavy ropes, Bosu ball push ups with knee thrusts, planks with shoulder taps, lateral box runs, a couple of other exercises comprised the hour of fun.

Now the entertainment portion of the day begins. :-)

dejavued likes this.
  4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Three rounds of:

Double Kb squats
    Contra lateral Kb step ups
    Incline Bb bench presses
    Incline Bb skull crushers
    Narrow grip lat pulldowns
    Pushups
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Kb crunches

Since it's 95F outside I'm going to be serving a cold dinner. I'm thinking of sous viding some chicken breasts, cooling them, and use them as the protein for an Asian themed salad.

Have a great day!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My exercise plan for the day started with going to bed early last night, waking up early, and going for a run before the heat came close to the 90F high of the day. A good solid plan, but alas that's all it was because it was not executed. It's now north of 80F with a heat index of 88F so I'm faced with having to go to the gym and run on the dreadmill. Ugh!

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp salad served with a spring mix and other veggies.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Four rounds this morning of:

Dynamic step ups
    Lateral box runs
    Plank and glider variations
    Bosu ball Db curls
    Heavy rope doubles with jump squats
    Kneeling Db presses

Dinner tonight is going to be sous vide pork chops and sautéed spinach. If I find some initiative I'll also smoke the pork belly I've been curing and turn it into bacon.

Have a great day!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    In non fitness news, I'm almost finished smoking what will be apple wood smoked maple bacon. It will be done in about 30 minutes; once it gets to temperature I'll cool it, refrigerate it, slice it tomorrow, and then package it for storage. The cheese I smoked a couple of weeks ago will be ready in about a week and my next food project, maybe tomorrow, but more likely next week, is to make beef jerky and possibly play around with dehydrating some fruit.

8. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Your work-outs are impressive and extremely varied... :quadzilla:

I am going to look up some of them... I have to develop my own workout routine beyond cardio.

And your foods sound delicious :popcorn: -- I can't get myself to cook yet -- so I am a slave to what Whole Food prepares -- which has changed considerably since Amazon acquired it - some good some not so pleasing.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    WRT the workouts some are done on my own, but most are devised by my trainer either in a group or one on one setting and I just do as instructed. I agree he does keep things varied, which makes everything more interesting.

Thanks about the food. I'll confess to enjoying cooking for friends and family. I have a couple of Whole Foods near me, but rarely go to them so the only changes I'm aware of are what I've read. Have you noticed a difference in the quality of the food? I remember reading that Amazon is tying Prime into a discount on some food items.

While On The Subject of Amazon

An integral part of my 15 year old food slicer recently broke and the store where I bought the slicer is no longer in business. After a brief search I determined that no local establishment carried the part. Yesterday at 11:30 AM I placed an order on Amazon and the item was at my front door by 7 PM with free shipping and a price lower than any other online competitor.

10. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Seltzer:
    "Have you noticed a difference in the quality of the food? I remember reading that Amazon is tying Prime into a discount on some food items."

Yes, the main change is that many of the quality foods (especially organic) are being replace with Whole Foods "365" brand - which are often not as good as the original brand. And many of these products were developed the by the company who originally sold from. They did the research, the development - etc. and now they can't sell their product to one of their major buyers -- Whole Foods will be driving a lot of small, family business - out of business.

One in particular is Bunny-Luv Carrots - Organic Baby carrots -- they are gone from the shelves and Whole Foods own brand is there instead and in fact they are pretty disgusting and only last s few days. They actually seal the baby carrots in water to keep them "fresh" but it causes them to rot faster and don't taste good to begin with.

The food prep is not as good either.... But substitute places do not have as much meat as I need …..

I end up throwing a lot of what I buy from Whole Food out.... it just doesn't last long...

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Justitia, thanks for the info. That's a shame how things have changed at WF.

Update

It's a low energy day, but I was at the gym this morning despite my desire to not go.

I'm alone for dinner tonight and will likely reheat what's in the refrigerator since we're leaving tomorrow to go away for the weekend.

Have a great day!

12. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I've noticed this, too. It's disturbing. Sara bought a flank steak that was stinking rotten when we pulled it out of the 'fridge for dinner the next day and the pre-packaged salad greens are becoming buckets of slime as rapidly as the ones from the mainstream grocery stores do. :kickrock:

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    There's no excuse for that. Me thinks they're going to have to revert to their original business model is they want to stay in business.

Update

Exercise for the day was 50 pushups and loading the car for the weekend.

We'll probably leave for wifey's family reunion in about 2 hours; the weather isn't supposed to be great, but I hope to do some hiking. Food choices won't be the greatest, but I'll manage and I'm going to need my A game to stay away from all the junk food everyone, including us, brings to snack on when we're hanging out.

TGIF!

14. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Have a great family reunion.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Mac. We had a very nice time; more details below.

Update

All told there were about 65 people covering 4 generations. The weather wasn't totally cooperative, but we were able to spend most of the days outside and have a bonfire at night. Considering the circumstances (grading on a curve? :lol:) I'd give myself an A- for my food and beverage choices as well as portion control. Exercise was non existent so I guess I have to give myself an F on that front.

This morning I was at the gym and did 3 rounds of:

Flat bench Db chest presses
    Flat bench Bb skullcrushers
    Flat bench Db flyes
    Incline bench Db chest presses
    Flat bench Db rows
    Bosu ball pushups with knee thrusts.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled flank steak with a salad and sautéed mushrooms.

Have a great day!

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Tuesday's are usually an active rest day and I'm going to follow that today. This morning I walked 2 miles round trip to meet a friend and this afternoon I'm going on a 2 mile run.

Dinner tonight is going to be chicken stir fry.

Have a great day!

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Six AM fun was four rounds of:

Mountain climbers on gliders
    Kneeling alternating Db shoulder presses
    One arm Kb swings
    Bicycles
    Kb goblet hold reverse lunges
    Heavy ropes
    Bent over Db rows
    Ball slams

Tonight's dinner is going to be burgers that I'm going to stuff with sautéed onions and peppers and cook on my kamado. If I get some initiative I'll go to the market and pick up cauliflower that I'll roast as a low carb side dish. If that doesn't happen I'll have to figure out a plan B.

Have a great day!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Total change in plans for dinner tonight. My kids are going out with each other, which is very gratifying that they get along so well, wifey woke up not feeling great and despite going to the gym with me for the early (for us) morning workout has been deteriorating all day. Lots of sleeping on the living room couch, we just took her temperature and it was 101.5, and she's now in bed (5 PM my time) and calling it a day. So......no real cooking for me, but rest assured I won't go hungry.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Gym fun for the day was four rounds of:

Rower
    Squats with a Kb hold
    Pushups
    Ladder mobility drills
    Duffel bag rows
    Heavy ropes
    Kb sumo dead lifts
    Flutter kicks

I'm not sure about dinner because I don't know who is going to be home and I'm not sure how wifey will be feeling. At the moment she's still under the weather.

Have a great day!

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Hope your wife feels better.

Seltzer likes this.