1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seem to be loosing lean mass - Please help!!

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Phil Newell, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Phil Newell

Phil Newell Active Member

I have been on a cutting program for about 5 weeks and have lost around 5lbs. I started at 170lbs with around 13.5% bodyfat (calculated using parillio) or 11.5% BF (calculated using 7 site jackson pollock formula). After loosing 5lbs I am now around 11.5%-12% BF (by parillio) or about 9.5% (by Jackson Pollock). This would suggest that I have lost around 2.5lbs of lean mass and 2.5lbs of fat (the lean mass would have taken be about 2 months of ball-busting bulking to put on so I aint too pleased!). Could it be that I have lost internal fat aswell as subcutaneous fat which might not show up on the calliper readings or am I sacrificing lean mass? I have attached my current diet and training plan - could someone take a quick look over these and let me know what you think? I'm currently taking in about 2250 cals on cardio days and 2500cals on lifting days. Any tweaks or suggestions?

Cheers

Phil :o

Attached Files:

2. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

If u are losing strength and it's a mainstay occurrence, you are losing muscle, yes. It's that simple, as attempted bf% readings, measurements, etc., are not only full of errors, but don't give any tactile "true" information. If u can lift "X" amount this week, and for weeks after u cannot time and time again, well, lean mass has been sacrificed. I say "time and time again" to negate the infamous "I had an off day" as everyone has at some point in the gym, but they come back and find they are as strong as they were and it was truly just an "off/whack" day. Continually getting weaker means you are losing muscle and your body composition is not improving but instead quite the opposite.

I use those "real" tests to see where I am, no gadgets, gimicks, hand-held $200 devices, measuring tapes, etc., as the circumference of a muscle doesn't tell me how strong I am, as I could add fat and lose muscle and have a bigger measurement of that said muscle.

My $.02

~SC~

3. Phil Newell

Phil Newell Active Member

I think you are dead right - all my lifts reduced on that cut. Anyway I got down to 8% BF and am now going to go on a long bulk - at my stage (1 year in) probably the only thing that I should be concerned about is strength gains and not getting too fat in the process. As long as my lifts are increasing weekly the mass will take care of itself. Cheers.