1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Search problem

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Seltzer, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    John, when I've initiated "New Post" searches today I get an error message saying that I have to wait 30 seconds between searches. Once the 30 seconds are complete I then am able to get the results I seek.

Has anyone else mentioned this issue? I don't know if this is related, but I remember some time ago when there was some type of skin change and this search issue became a short lived problem.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: One more thing. It doesn't happen every time and in fact did not happen when I executed a search after originally posting this.

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

This is by design. Searches are very processor-intensive, and permitting unlimited searching would allow a user with malicious intent to execute a DoS attack on the server. The minimum time between searches is 30 seconds, and always has been.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for your quick response, as always.

Even as a non techical computer user I can understand the rationale behind designing a system that way and as a long timer on JSF I'm aware of the restriction. I guess I didn't articulate myself clearly in my initial post because what I meant to convey is that the message was coming up in response to the first search I made after gaps that were many multiples of the 30 second minimum time requirement. In any event I just did a trial search and everything was fine, so while it may be a head scratcher, it will hopefully be a moot issue going forward.

Again, thanks for your attention to my query.