1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Scales...bodyfat analysis,etc.

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by Victoria35, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Victoria35

Victoria35 Active Member

Hi:D
    I might be posting this in the wrong area, but maybe it is ok.

I just bought a scale that measures your bodyfat and amount of water and then tells you how many calories to maintain that weight. It then tells you what you should weigh, based on the info you enter like gender, height, age, and activity level.

I have heard about these scales and that you can't place a lot of stock into all their numbers, but I'm finding it interesting to see what it says.

I do have a great caliper for measuring the same thing, but it is time consuming and I have to involve my husband, which I would rather not do.....really wouldn't want to involve ANYONE at this point.

The literature that came with the scale says that calipers may be more accurate but that you can use the scale to monitor changes from your baseline.

The brand is Homedics....

So far, based on what I can tell I don't like what it is telling me....but that is not the scales fault!:cry:

Do any of you have these kinds of scales?

Victoria :)

2. chris0374

chris0374 Active Member

I don't have those scales but I do have a hand gripper that does the same thing. Basically, what I noticed is that those things are not accurate. Okay, maybe they can be accurate from time to time but they are never ever consistent. What caliper do you have? I recommend accumeasure if you think caliper is time consuming. I find it decently accurate. It only takes seconds to operate and you can measure body fat yourself. More importantly, it's very consistent.

For the calorie counting, I find the DietPower works very well. It basically learns your metabolism and sets calorie intakes for the day for you. This way, you always reach your weight goals.

3. Devery

Devery Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with Chris. I own an Omron BF analyzer and it is very consistent for me. It's a tool that helps keep me motivated and moving in the right direction. I've been as high as 18% and as low as 12% as measured by my Omron. I use a regular scale and a Myotape device for my other measurements. The important thing is use it often so you can determine its consistency and try to make it move in the direction you choose based upon your goals. For me, it's to lose bodyfat and see my abdominals.

:gl: