1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Sbidgo's Accountability!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by sbidgo, Oct 6, 2009.

1. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

At the advice of Rogozhin I've decided to keep a journal of my food intake, and exercise logs, primarily for my own motivation and records, but also for the critique or interest of others. I will do my best to update daily (I missed out on the 100 point game!)

Exercise:
    The goal is as follows for workouts. (More detail will follow)

Sunday: Chest & Back
    Monday: Cardio
    Tuesday: Bicep, Tricep, Shoulders
    Wednesday: Cardio
    Thursday: Legs, Back
    Friday: Cardio
    Saturday: Cardio
    :jumping:

Diet:
    A lot of my recent research or dietary ideas have come from Tom Venuto's "Burn the fat feed the muscle". Through that I've come to the following conclusions on where my diet should be, what my daily calories should be, and how I would best like to go about it.

Goal: 300-400 Calories per meal with a nutrient breakdown of
    Fat: 20%
    Carb: 45%
    Protein:35%
    :eat:

The overall goal is to post daily with a quick synopsis of my diet with nutrient breakdown for the day as well as a synopsis of my workout, and if it was completed. (For the first week I will try to list out my excersizes and intensity, again for my own records and for others to peruse)

Wish me luck everyone, lets complete the journey together!

Cheers,

Sbidgo

2. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

10/6/09

A little delayed, but a brief update for yesterday.

Food:
    Fat: 24%
    Carb: 53%
    Protein: 23%

Synposis: I probably could have done a bit better, had some leftover lasagna for dinner which threw off the fat count, but other than that my diet was pretty balanced.
    Consisted of:

Breakfast: Oatmeal w/Raisins
    Snack: Synders Pretzel sticks (30)
    Lunch: Turkey Breast on Whole Wheat Bread
    Snack: Cottage Cheese (2/3 cup)
    Dinner: Lasagna
    Snack: N/A
    Calories: 1780

Exercise: 5:45 pm - 7:10 pm.
    I'm working out using P90X right now, completed the shoulder, Bi, Tri workout routine. Felt amazing, my muscles were burning afterwords and a bit sore today.
    (For the record I am was on the third day of the program)

Thanks to all those who have read, looking forward to posting again tonight. Hoping that brutal honesty will keep me going and will help me learn where I am making mistakes.

Sbidgo

3. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

Wednesday October 7th

Today was a good day, still think that I need to up my protein intake and lower my fat intake, but beyond that I feel pretty confident that I am on the right track. I think that my main downfall (beyond the cookie and 2 mini candies today) is my dinner, in that it is usually a larger serving and is often times not the HEALTHIEST option in the world.
    Food:
    Fat: 28%
    Carb: 51%
    Protein: 21%

Synopsis: I didn't have a protein shake today, and by adding that I will boost my calorie intake further as well as improve my protein. I had taco's for dinner which probably threw off my totals (Lean meat & Cheddar cheese) added a good deal of fat to an overall healthy day.

Breakfast: Oatmeal w/Raisins & 6 oz Chocolate Milk (1%)
    Snack: Chicken Noodle Soup (12 OZ)
    Lunch: Turkey Breast on Whole Wheat Bread
    Snack: M&M cookie & 2 mini 3 musketeers (Office Party...hard to resist)
    Dinner: Tacos (10% Fat beef w/Cheddar Cheese) (3 shells) & Corn
    Snack: N/A
    Calories: 1894

Exercise: 10:30 pm - 11:40 pm
    Fourth day of P90X workouts, completed the Kempo Karate workout tonight, burned around 450 calories I believe doing it. Overall it was enjoyable, moved pretty quickly for an hour and I realized that my balance isnt the best ;)

Looking forward to tonight, going to the gym to do back and legs tonight, so far so good on the diet, oatmeal and a protein shake for breakfast should start this day off well!

Cheers,

Sbidgo

4. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

Thursday 10/8/09

As per usual I am a day late on my updates.
    Yesterday was a great day for my diet, and showed me that it is very possible to eat healthy foods and be happy!

Fat: 20%
    Protein: 35%

Breakfast: Maxpro Protein Shake & Oatmeal + Raisins
    Snack: NA
    Lunch: Marinated Chicken Breast (5oz) 1.5 Cup Broccoli, 1 cup Jasmin Rice
    Snack: Maxpro Protein Shake
    Dinner: Lean cuisine
    Snack: Cottage Cheese 2% (1/2 cup)

Synopsis: Overall a great day, I wish I could have eaten 6 meals as planned, but these things don't always happen. I'll work on it Saturday (Since I already know I've messed up Friday...more on that later)

Exercise: Legs & Back (P90X)
    Today's workout was difficult! I was able to make it through 45 minutes of the planned 60 minute workout before just about colapsing. It was tough, my legs burned but I feel amazing today!

Before bed I did the "Ab Ripper" workout from P90X, amazing ab workout, felt great, I'm not able to do the whole program yet (25 reps per exercise) but I'll get there soon enough!

Tomorrow (Friday) should be a great day, although my major fear is that the weekend could get to me! I must do my best to hold back from Alcohol and crappy food!

Best,

Sbidgo

5. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

10/9 - 10/10

I had previously made a large update but internet explorer crashed prior to posting! :bang:

Basically Friday and Saturday were terrible days for my diet, both with fat % in upwards of 30% and protein below 25% (This is due to eating pizza on Friday and a bit more of it on Saturday). It's amazing how such a small meal can throw off your mood or diet so drastically! I'm going to work to not make these kinds of mistakes in the future, because it feels terrible! :spank:

I maintained my workout schedule both days, with P90X Yoga on Friday and P90X X-Stretch on Saturday (which is basically my off day, and it was a much needed break for my muscles)

Today (Sunday) I am off to the gym to start week 2 of p90x, with my chest and back routine. Hoping I can knock a few pounds off of the assisted pull ups and maintain or increase reps! We shall see. The goal for this week is to maintain my diet at least 6 days and exercise 7. I am thinking about doubling up and adding some morning cardio to the routine on top of the P90X. (Doing this would probably result in me increasing my calorie intake as well to provide more energy)...

Results:
    Starting Weight: 217
    Week 1 End: 213
    Lost 4 pounds this week, fantastic!! Here's to 2-4 pounds this week :tucool:

Cheers,

Sbidgo

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Way to go, champ :claplow:

7. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

The Week So far…

First off I wanted to thank Phoenix for the words of encouragement!
    I haven’t had a lot of time this week to update, and have found it hard to log on every day and do so. But, having said that it is my goal to do a daily update, so I will work a bit harder to get it done! I’m not going to bore people with the details of every day so far this week, but I’ll quickly summarize what’s been going on in my diet and exercise world.
    Monday/Tuesday (Averages)
    Fat: 19%
    Carb: 50%
    Protein: 31%
    Exercise:
    Sunday: P90X Chest & Back
    Monday: P90X Plyometrics
    - I was VERY proud of myself with this workout, I was able to complete 90% of the 50 minute workout, which I have never been able to do before, and I know that it is a very rigorous workout.
    Tuesday: P90x Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps
    So far so good for the week, and today (Wednesday) is shaping up pretty well so far. I’m not sure where I am going to fit in my workout today as I’m at work from 9-5, then seeing a play with a friend from 7:30-9:30….hopefully I’ll have some energy when I get home, or I might double up tomorrow. (Thankfully the workout is Yoga, so it is fairly low impact, yet still tiring!)
    Best of luck to all those out there working towards your goals!
    Until Tomorrow,
    Sbidgo

8. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

Week in Review

This week has been interesting....

I ended up missing out on workouts for Wednesday and Friday (Both cardio!) which is definitely bad news bears, and I believe that I can feel it. I'm not anticipating a drop in weight this week just based off of these factors as well as my diet Friday. This really threw my week off. Prior to yesterday I was going for perfect with

19% Fat
    50% Carb
    31% protein

averaged out over the week. Yesterday I made a big mistake in that I went for Chinese food (General Tso Chicken) for lunch, which ended up having a WAY higher fat concentration than I could have guessed. Last night went out to celebrate a friends birthday, ended up having a coke, whiskey diet coke, guinness, and irish car bomb for the night. Because of this I ended up eating a street hot dog haha which pretty much added to the "cheat day" mentality from yesterday. Hopefully I haven't gained anything from last week, we'll see though.

Im going to make a better effort to log my workouts and days on a more...frequent basis over the next week, and I believe this may actually further motivate me to work out better and eat healthier! I will post a progress picture after 4 weeks on the program (so 2 weeks from now) and am looking forward to seeing some results!

Cheers,

Sbidgo

9. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

I'm glad you to the advice, sb! :) I'll be watching your progression, good luck! :tucool: :D

10. eccent

eccent Active Member

I've read that book too. Very informative but the author seems to favour the 6 meals schedule, stating it's a must for competitive body-builders.:confused: Good luck with your journey!

11. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

Week 2 Down, 11 weeks to go!

I agree, and I am not a competitive body-builder, so...I feel 5 meals a day is plenty :) (It's too difficult to get in 6 for me!)

Thanks again Rogozhin!!

Results:
    Week 1 Weight: 213
    Week 2 End: 211.5
    Result: Lost 1.5 pounds over this week which doesnt surprise me because:

a) I wasn't logging food items very well, and keeping a journal here is good accountablity for me.

b) I missed two of my cardio workouts, on Wednesday and Friday (and ate poorly friday as well)

c) I kind of forgot about logging food and just went for it Sat/Sunday.

Having said that I am going to change some things around a bit...

I'm seeing good results, and I believe my training is going fine. I am thinking about shaking things up and adding a small cardio session in the morning to NON Cardio days. I'm not sure if I am going to do a P90X cardio workout, or just sit on a bicycle for 25 minutes. Time will tell, as well as my energy levels.

On a dietary note, I think I'm actually doing pretty well. When I am focussed and plan out my diet I seem to get good results and I am hitting my macronutrient levels perfectly. I believe that the 20/50/30 I've been doing is working well for me, and I dont see a major reason to change.

On Strength: I've noticed some good gains over the past two weeks. I've been able to take 30 pounds off of the assistance needed to do pull ups, and can still maintain the same number of reps as I was doing with a higher assistance level. This excites me bacause, honeslty one of my big goals is to be able to do pull ups unassisted, and every time I lower the assistance level I am getting one step closer to my goal!

This week I'm going for the gold and am going to try to push myself as much as possible as next week I am planning (supposed to) to take a "rest" week, which basically means no major weight training and all Cardio. Then its back to Weight training the first week of November.

Good luck to all those who are on their own journey! Next stop new Jeans :tucool:

Cheers,

Sbidgo

12. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

10/19/09

Today has not been the best as far as my diet is concerned and it has shown me some interesting things. Ended up going out to lunch with a coworker and had a TERRIBLE meal! Basically it consisted of Tator Tots and a cheeseburger, which was probably around 1200 calories for the whole meal. The greasy fat filled meal made me feel terrible, I had a headache, felt dizzy for hours after and am still a bit groggy. All in all I ate well over my goal of 1700-2000 calories for the day, and have yet to work out (however I am going to attempt to go workout now...)

Stats for the day are pretty dismal with:
    Fat: 38%
    Protein: 17%

Hopefully I'll be able to get a good solid cardio session in, however I am doubting that I'll make it all the way through without some complications. (Tonight's cardio is the most difficult of the week as well)

Wish me luck, expect a much better update tomorrow evening!

Cheers,

Sbidgo

Edit: Was able to make it through 30 minutes of Cardio last night before I died of exaustion.

#12 sbidgo, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  13. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

10/20/09

Wow, what a day! Could go down in history as one of the stranger ones...

Diet was overally pretty good, Unfortunately I cannot tell you exactly what my nutrient intake was for the day because last night I left my Iphone 3gs (Bought on 9/21/09) at a restaurant and when I returned 5 minutes later it was gone without a trace! :bang:

Needless to say, I spent a good portion of the night trying to figure out where it went, and close down various accounts associated with it.

As far as my workout is concerned, I had a great one! I did shoulders/biceps/triceps yesterday and it destroyed me. I felt like the hulk afterwards, however I believe I may have tweaked my right shoulder a bit yesterday which caused me to finish the workout 1 workout set short. Either way, it felt great, and today I feel wonderful.

Tonight's workout is Yoga, and I believe I might try to finish up the remaining shoulder/bi/tri exercises which I missed yesterday.

Looking forward to having a better day today than I did yesterday! So far so good, Oatmeal with Raisins and a dab of milk this morning make for a decent breakfast :nod:.

Cheers,

Sbidgo

14. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

10/21/09 - 10/22/09

Yesterday turned out to be ok. Never located the Iphone, but have my old blackberry back up and running. It seems to have created this mini funk in my life though where i've had issues logging food, and rather am just kinda winging it. (This is a bad thing)

As far as my diet yesterday, I believe it went pretty well, I need to get into a new process of logging food again though, because I am having a hard time remembering everything I had.

Workout last night was 45 minutes of YogaX (P90x). Wow! Whoever says Yoga is easy....is either a superhuman being, or crazy. The sweat was dripping off of my eyebrows as I maneuvered around my space downward and upward dogging it! Very effective workout for burning calories and stretching out the joints.

This is a joint entry for both Wednesday and Thursday...

Thursday has not been good AT ALL for my diet! Today my company is releasing a BIG product to the market so there are mini celebrations going on around the office, which includes...food, and lots of it! The diet today has consisted of a hot chocolate, a decently sized cupcake, prime rib for lunch and a kahlua brownie in a team meeting! (The last one I can't turn down because my boss made them...)

So, what does this mean? It means that tonight's workout is going to have to go balls out, and I am going to have to hit the gym extra hard. It's legs/back tonight which seems to be one of the more intense workouts that P90X has thrown my way so far. TONS of squats, lunges, and pullups, a great workout for sure!

Looking forward to next week where it will be an all cardio week! I'm down about .5 lbs this week, I'm shooting again for 1-2lb of weight loss by Monday (New weigh in day).

Have a great afternoon, and thanks for reading! :tucool:

Cheers,

Sbidgo

15. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

10/22 - 10/23

Even though Thursday was a terrible diet day, I still had an amazing workout last night, and kicked my butt. Went to a new gym with a friend of mine and just destroyed myself. After about 50 minutes my body was drenched with sweat, my legs burning, and my abs killing me after doing a few core exercises on top of the leg workout. Unfortunately, as seems to be a trend for me lately, I was not able to finish the whole workout, this time because there was no time and the gym closed earlier than I expected.

Friday is going ok so far, I woke up a bit late and was about 25 minutes late to work, that was no fun. Haven't had breakfast and can't find anything to scrounge on besides a V8 and a Fiber One bar. Hoping my diet will improve today and that I'll end the day on a high note! My goal for this weekend is to have a solid diet, and go into next week pumped up and ready for action!

Workout tonight is P90x Kempo, 60 minutes of high intensity pseudo Karate. :p

As always, thanks for taking the time to read!

Sbidgo

16. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

Weekend Update

Hi Group,

The weekend was an experience, I got all of my workouts in Friday and Saturday, and a short 20 minute workout in on Sunday, but man...I did bad things this weekend!

Hung out with a friend of mine, her sister and another friend Saturday night, baked pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and drank burbon spiced cider all night! Probably not the healthiest of evenings, and it kind of led to a hangover on Sunday. Lesson learned, dont get drunk and drink lots of cookies if you're trying to lose weight!

Well this week is my "rest/recovery" week, which consists almost entirely of cardio work with a tiny bit of strength training thrown in. Tonight I am doing a core emphasis workout which goes for around 60 minutes. It looks like it will be challanging and a good workout.

I need to avoid going to the Cafeteria at work, I can never find healthy food there! To avoid this, I made sure to take a trip to the store today and pick up healthy fresh ingredients for a good lunchtime meal. I also met Jay Buhner (Former Seattle Mariner) while I was shopping!

I will try to get back to theold format of entries soon, aka more informative. :)

Cheers,

Sbidgo

17. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

10/26

P90x Core Synergstics..let me just say, you destroyed me last night!

Monday was a good day, diet wasn't too shabby (as always lately it could be better), and my workout was amazing! I need to (repeating theme) get back to logging my intake. Im allowing the loss of conveneince via calorie tracking in my phone, become an excuse for not properly logging my food and just kind of winging it. Starting today I will make this change, and probably see that my old habits are coming back in force....:(

Workout last night was great, completed the 59 minute Core Synergistics workout, it was amazing. I've never felt my entire core region engage so much in a workout, and as usual I sweat through my clothes. These workouts feel great, and I am starting to feel some improvements in my body, mind and endurance.:claphigh:

My new pants, which I bought right around the start of this whole endevor are fitting MUCH better now, actually they are a bit loose on me, which is frustrating only because they are brand new! I'm going to have to hold off on any major purchases for a few months it seems. My big goal, and first major purchase is going to be a new 3 piece suit, just for the hell of it. :tucool:

Quick check in on my stats:

Week 3 Results:
    Weight: 211
    Begining Weight: 217
    Total Weight lost: 6 pounds (which is not too bad for 3 weeks...averaging out to 2lbs per week)

Good luck to everyone this coming week, I believe today's workout is going to be Kenpo! (One of my favorites, and one that gets the blood pumping).

Cheers,

Sbidgo

#17 sbidgo, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  18. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

10/27 - 10/29

It's been a tough couple of days! With Halloween around the office is filling with junk food and other nonsense, and my willpower seems low! I'm definitely working to avoid fatty items, but lately its becoming a little more difficult than expected.

I've been working out hard every night, except Wednesday (10/28) I needed a break. It was the stretching exercise day, so I took some much needed time off and ended up getting a few extra hours of sleep instead.

Today has been hectic for the diet:
    Breakfast: Oatmeal
    Snack: Cottage Cheese
    Lunch: Grilled Cheese on Wheat Bread & Bake Sale Brownie
    Snack: Probably going to be a turkey breast (2-4oz)
    Dinner: Pho' (High in sodium!)

I am doing the core synergistics workout tonight, its going to feel amazing, and I'm hoping to burn plenty of calories! Tomorrow is Kempo, then Saturday will be Yoga I believe.

I'm pumped for next week, I have a goal to be down to 208 by next Saturday, Im going to hit it and there is really no stopping me. I'd like to know that in a month I can lose 10lbs. I think its totally possible, only 2.5 pounds to go! (As of Tuesday)

My major weakness is the food, the workouts keep me in check and are easy to go with. I love them, I love going to the gym and I feel so accomplished after I finish a rigorous workout! Now its just tackling the food cravings....perhaps more variety of a healthy nature is needed. :bb:

Thanks to all who are reading!

Sbidgo

19. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

Month 2

I've been doing a bad job of updating the entries as of late. Work and life have been pretty hectic lately and my workouts have kind of fallen apart! Last night I was only able to get in 25 minutes of cardio, which isn’t terrible, but it isn’t amazing either. I also missed my workout Sunday...Today I am scheduled to do weight training, shoulders and back I believe...Hopefully I'll be able to get it all in :)

Diet is improving, went to the store last night and picked up some good healthy foods, baby carrots, low fat cottage cheese, lean turkey and wheat bread. Should have a good solid diet again soon! I'm using a new calorie tracker so I should also be updating the daily calorie information here again, which will make my entries look prettier again...haha[/COLOR]

I started the November 100 point challenge! I'm stoked, although a bit disappointed that I am already down 2 points. My goal is to not fall below 80 points, at the moment I think this will be pretty easy, but we'll see! My other goals are to hit 200lbs by the end of November. (I am currently at 210.5 as of today)

On the recommendation of a friend I am also embarking on a 14 day cleanse. I'm not sure how this is going to work, and today is the first day, I'm feeling a bit nauseated, and I have a major headache, are these common symptoms?

Thanks for all of those that continue to read!

Sbidgo

#19 sbidgo, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  20. sbidgo

sbidgo Active Member

11/9/09

I've decided that I am terrible at updating this thing, and seem to be putting roadblocks in my way, uploading pictures, not having precise diet information etc. I will do my best to prevent this! (repetitive huh?)

This weekend was great, I received a compliment from somone which I didn't expect to get. We were all out at a swanky cocktail party in Seattle and my friend looked at me, almost in shock, and said "Wow, you're really bulking up" and I looked at him confused and said, something along the lines of "well Im trying to lose weight not gain it". He then responded by saying that it looked as though I had put on about 5-10lbs of muscle, and I was looking sharp. Its funny how other people can see you vs. how you see yourself, and if anything its great!

I've always had some self confidence issues, and I notice that as I stay dedicated to this cause I am improving my life on many levels. I weighed in at 207lbs this morning, which is around 10-12lb of weight loss since I started a month or so ago! To me this is a great accomplishment, I am not below 200, but I am getting there! I feel better, my clothes fit better, and I'm not as self concious when I wear clothing, RATHER I am paranoid about wearing clothes which are TOO big for me! It's an interesting transition, and I hope to have more positive feedback soon!

Until then,

Sbidgo