1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Saving a Journal

Discussion in 'Technical' started by macdiver, Jul 8, 2017.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Is there any way to download and save my journal? The file format (PDF, doc, txt) etc. doesn't matter as long as I could have a copy of my fitness journal. When I started it I didn't realize I would have a written journal for 7 years of my life including non-fitness information. It would be great to archive this myself.

2. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

Hi macdiver,

Apologies for the delay.

There's no native means of exporting a xenForo thread. I did find an add-on that looked promising at first glance, but it seems to require manually selecting the section of the thread that you want to export followed by a copy/paste. Considering the length of your journal, that is probably not a practical solution.

I found a small project on GitHub that looks like it may do what you want. It involves installing a bookmarklet to your browser, which then calls some remote JavaScript to perform the actual magic. I didn't vet or test the code, so please note that this is untested and unsupported. That said, I took a quick glance and noticed:

Code:
    var PAGE_LIMIT = 250;
    ...so it looks like it was designed to work with fairly long threads like yours!

Please let me know if this works for you, or if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
    John

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

John,

Thanks and no worries on the delay ( it was only a day or two which is what I would expect.)

I'll give this a try next week when I have a little time and I'll let you know how it goes.

4. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

Cool, if I can help in any way just let me know.

Also, if the bookmarklet thing doesn't work, I'm more than happy to install the add-on I mentioned in my first reply. I think the way the add-on works is the entire thread is dumped to the browser as one long page, then you have to manually copy and paste all that text (no images/emoji will be present AFAIK :( ) it into a local text editor or whatever. I have my doubts about how well that will work with a thread that is as large as your journal.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

I tried the bookmarklet but couldn't get it to work. I copied it to my bookmark bar. When I would click on it, it took me to the Github page but would not "run" the bookmarklet. I am using a chrome on a mac. Is there something that I need to enable to allow javascript to run?

6. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

Actually, don't bother with it. I had a few minutes this morning and tried it out, and it's really buggy. Even with a short thread like this one, it created countless duplicate results and took forever to generate. I don't have time to debug it, so instead I'll check out the xF add-on that I mentioned in my first post to this thread. I'm not sure how well it will work, but it's worth a look. I'll try to get to that sometime next week or next weekend.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

No rush. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

8. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

I know it's been a long time since my last reply here, but I haven't forgotten about this request. In fact, quite the opposite...

I fully realize that many of our longtime members—particularly those with lengthy journals—are worried about losing that history if JSF is shut down. Considering my long absence, I think that's a valid concern, and I take it seriously. In fact, that's the primary reason why JSF is still running right now.

I've tested various methods of exporting very long forum threads (we've got journals that span more than a decade and thousands of posts), and I think I've found something that will work. I'll need to do some additional tests before I can open the feature up to everyone, and I can't promise anything, but some early testing looks encouraging.

I will provide a more detailed update on the main site at some point in the near(ish) future. In the meantime, please know I have no intention of simply "pulling the plug".

#8 John Stone, Jan 14, 2020 at 9:06 PM
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 9:03 PM
  9. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thank you for remembering this request and for figuring it out before closing the forums.

I will let you know once I have completed the download.

I am saddened by the news but also figured it was only a matter of time. These forums have not been very active lately and there is a cost to keeping them going. Hard to justify for just a few people.

11. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

Thanks for understanding. It was a very painful choice.

I don't know if this helps or hurts, but my reasons for shutting down JSF are personal and not financial. I never expected anyone to help finance the site, and was always touched and honored when people like you did, time and time again.

I sincerely hope those of you who remained here after JSF faded create a brand new community. It won't cost much, and you're all smart. If there's anything I can do to assist, it's the least I can do. Let me know.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

John,

Thank you again.

The export worked fine. I have it saved as word and pdf files.

13. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

Excellent news—thanks for confirming.