1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Saving a Journal

Discussion in 'Technical' started by macdiver, Jul 8, 2017.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Is there any way to download and save my journal? The file format (PDF, doc, txt) etc. doesn't matter as long as I could have a copy of my fitness journal. When I started it I didn't realize I would have a written journal for 7 years of my life including non-fitness information. It would be great to archive this myself.

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Hi macdiver,

Apologies for the delay.

There's no native means of exporting a xenForo thread. I did find an add-on that looked promising at first glance, but it seems to require manually selecting the section of the thread that you want to export followed by a copy/paste. Considering the length of your journal, that is probably not a practical solution.

I found a small project on GitHub that looks like it may do what you want. It involves installing a bookmarklet to your browser, which then calls some remote JavaScript to perform the actual magic. I didn't vet or test the code, so please note that this is untested and unsupported. That said, I took a quick glance and noticed:

Code:
    var PAGE_LIMIT = 250;
    ...so it looks like it was designed to work with fairly long threads like yours!

Please let me know if this works for you, or if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
    John

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

John,

Thanks and no worries on the delay ( it was only a day or two which is what I would expect.)

I'll give this a try next week when I have a little time and I'll let you know how it goes.

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Cool, if I can help in any way just let me know.

Also, if the bookmarklet thing doesn't work, I'm more than happy to install the add-on I mentioned in my first reply. I think the way the add-on works is the entire thread is dumped to the browser as one long page, then you have to manually copy and paste all that text (no images/emoji will be present AFAIK :( ) it into a local text editor or whatever. I have my doubts about how well that will work with a thread that is as large as your journal.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

I tried the bookmarklet but couldn't get it to work. I copied it to my bookmark bar. When I would click on it, it took me to the Github page but would not "run" the bookmarklet. I am using a chrome on a mac. Is there something that I need to enable to allow javascript to run?

6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Actually, don't bother with it. I had a few minutes this morning and tried it out, and it's really buggy. Even with a short thread like this one, it created countless duplicate results and took forever to generate. I don't have time to debug it, so instead I'll check out the xF add-on that I mentioned in my first post to this thread. I'm not sure how well it will work, but it's worth a look. I'll try to get to that sometime next week or next weekend.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

No rush. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.