1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

sample menus? anybody got a suggestion?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by pigme, Jan 1, 2009.

1. pigme

pigme Active Member

Happy New Year! I am attempting to put together a few daily menus to help me lose some body fat. I have been reading and reading and decided that I need to be about 45-50p/30C/20F. I will be shooting for about 1300-1600 calories. I also plan to do weights plus cardio 3 days a week and cardio 2 days a week. I am not looking to cut for competition or anything like that, but I want to spend atleast the next 4 weeks trying to be serious about this routine to see if I can actually make some progress. Sometimes short term goals are just the beginning of long term goals! I went to fitday.com and was able to manipulate a simple group of foods into the right percentage, but it took me an hour to get the percentage right. So I am wondering 1) do you think I am on the right track, and 2) are there any females out there with a similar calorie and ratio goal that might have some sample menus??

Thanks!

2. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Why so much protein? The amount of protein that people actually need is one of those "beat a dead horse" discussions around here, but I'm curious as to why you feel the need or want to have protein make up half of your diet.

I'm a vegetarian ( lots of food allergies) but I've come up with a plan that is similar to what I was eating in the days where I could have things like chicken, eggs, turkey, ect. I won't get into specifics, but you can work from my generic plan.

Breakfast: Carb/ Protein/ Fruit
    Snack or Post workout: Carb/ Protein
    Lunch: Carb/Protein/ Starch
    Snack: Carb/ Protein/ Fat
    Dinner: Carb/ Protein/ Fat
    Optional Snack: Protein/ Fat

Due to being a vegetarian, the amount of protein I'm eating is nothing compared to what I was eating when I could have things like chicken. However, what I'm finding is that my fat loss is more consistant now than when I was eating double the protein amounts that I'm eating now and I don't feel like crap or bogged down all the time.

My calorie intake at the moment isn't where it should be ( roughly 1400) but my eating plan is still in the "work in progress" stage. Trying to do P90X doubles on 1400 calories is only going to get me so far.

IMO, you don't need that much protein. If it doesn't get used during wrokouts and just daily living, it's going to turn to fat. Been there, done that and it wasn't worth it although I didn't know that at the time. I know better now even if it was because I had no choice in the matter.

I put veggies under the "carb" label. The only carb that I eat that isn't a veggie is a english muffin in the morning. Everything else labled carb is a veggie of some sort and my starch is a sweet potato.

#2 Zilla, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  3. pigme

pigme Active Member

4. pigme

pigme Active Member

[qu
    This is VERY similar to what I have been eating.

Due to being a vegetarian, the amount of protein I'm eating is nothing compared to what I was eating when I could have things like chicken. However, what I'm finding is that my fat loss is more consistant now than when I was eating double the protein amounts that I'm eating now and I don't feel like crap or bogged down all the time.

I also have p90x...don't you love it?? I recently had surgery and had to stop, but was able to do the cardio x yesterday, it felt good!

I am confused ( a little)....Don't carbs and fat do the same thing? If you don't burn it off, it will go to storage won't it?

[/quote]

So your carbs are mostly veges? I guess that would help. I have been eating multi grain bread and a little brown rice or whole wheat pasta, but am finding that I would probably be better off cutting back on that too.

#4 pigme, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  5. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

On the food issue, things haven't been easy for me. It wasn't until recently that I came up with a somewhat decent food plan. I've known since last April that I couldn't have chicken and such.

Since my last post, I've introduced soy / whey shakes to my diet. Blech! I can't stand soy or whey, but I've found that if I use it in small doses it does help with the protein side of things. I only have one per day, so they haven't caused problems, yet. Adding things like beans and lentils would help as well, I just haven't gotten that far with things yet.

I can't say that I love P90X, but I am a fan of Tony Horton. I think if somebody else instructed for the X beast, I'd probably pass. :lol:

As mentioned previously, I save the more caloric dense carbs such as breads for the morning and afternoon, otherwise I walk around with carb bloat which is often mistaken for fat gain. It's a ugly cycle that I refuse to put myself through ever again. It took me 2 years to figure out what was causing overnight "gains". Steel Cut oats are a great thing, but I become a pint sized version of the Michelin Man when I eat them even with the 1/4 cup serving size suggestion.

If you can have things like chicken, eggs, beef, ect... make good use of them. If you find yourself eating alot of processed stuff, get rid of most of it, if not all of it. It's okay to have a bagel or whatever, but do read labels. Not all breads and such are the same. The more a food is "man handled", the more junk and fillers they add to it. Also make sure those bagels are a normal sized one and not monster sized that they like to sell at bakery counters.

For things like dairy, I make good use of lactose free stuff. Dairy is another enemy on my list, hence my "Blech" to the soy and whey shakes. Once I find a company close by that sells protein shake mixes that are made from rice or peas, I'll make the switch. I refuse to pay $5.00 - $6.00 to some company to ship me a pound of protein mix. Can we say gouging?

In a nutshell, the cleaner ( remove processed foods as much as possible) your diet is, the better off you'll be. You'll find that you'll feel much better in the long run. Also make sure you're eating enough because if you don't, you won't be happy with that outcome either.

Muscle is a great thing as long as you use it, feed it and allow it to rest. If you don't do all of the above, you'll end up spinning your proverbial wheels.

I send well wishes for a speedy recovery from your surgery. It would be nice to have a P90X buddy around here. :)

6. pigme

pigme Active Member

how did you determine what youare allergic too???

I love soy and whey products, they are very easy for me to eat, but it seems that all of the products I find are very high in calories, any suggestions on high protien low calorie products?

That's funny, Tony actually drives me a little crazy but i really like the workouts. Not so much the weight tapes, but I really like the cardio ones.
    Interesting: I don't usually have much of that that I have noticed, but I am now trying very hard to eat my carbs earlier in the day and see if that helps. My problem is that I have a hard time getting enough protien in without the protien powder, and it's usually towards the end of the day when I realize I'm not going to make it so I have to cram a powder drink in just to get the additional protien I need, which also then adds the carbs late in the day.
    I learned a long time ago to stay away from processed foods. I rarely eat anything at all that comes from a box or a bag. Because I have eaten like this for so long, it is hard to switch things up to find the right "equation" for me, because there isn't much that I can cut out of my diet. I eat egg whites, fruit, veges and lean meats, a slice or two of multigrain bread but a good, natural one. I don't eat bagels, fast food or packaged snacks.
    What does your body do when you eat dairy?? I think I may be lactose intollerant, but I don't know how to tell. I don't get sick to my stomach, but I do get instant gas.

[/QUOTE]
    Thank you! yes on the p90x buddy. There are about 6 of us at my work that do it, but none of us live close enough to do it together. We get text happy though when struggling through it!

7. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

It's a two step process for the allergy testing. First they do what is called a scratch test, then I have blood drawn to confirm what the scratch test said. Neither of these tests are 100% accurate, so when I eat something that acts like a trigger, I don't eat it.

Too much soy messes with my hormones and makes me break out. What are you presently using for a protein supplement? Products like Muscle Milk are loaded with fat. I've seen the "light" version on store shelves, but I've never bothered to compare labels to see if the light version is really better or not. If supplementing is messing with your caloric intake, if I were you, I'd go over my diet and see where the issues are. Under normal circumstances, I'm a big fan of eating calories versus drinking them. I'm not quite in the abnormal catagory yet, but my immune system is working on that. :lol:

I'm trying a product called "Wheybolic Extreme 60". It's put out by GNC. One shake is 310 calories, 20 of which are from fat. The thing I've found with it though is that it makes me really, really thirsty. It has 450 mgs of sodium per serving which compared to things like soy sauce isn't all that bad, but I can't stand it so instead of using the suggested serving size of 3 scoops per shake, I dropped it down to 2. It cuts back on the protein I'm taking in but my tongue doesn't feel like a raisin.

Dairy products give me "toxic" (as in clear an entire room) type of gas, bloating, stomach pains and overall just make me feel like garbage.

8. pigme

pigme Active Member

I am using something called Syntha-6, it as 200 calories per serving, 6g fat, 14 carbs and 22 protien. It tastes REALLY good and mixes so well in water you don't even need to think about milk, but if you do try it in milk it gets even better.

interesting, maybe that IS my problem. It's embarrasing. I'll have to cut out the dairy and see if it stops.[/quote]

9. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

This is only a suggestion, but it would help if you posted you're diet. It's hard to fine tune if I can't see it in writing.

If dairy is bothering you that much, you can certainly try the lactose free stuff. What I did to aid in the digestion of even the the lactose free stuff was I started including a product called Ultra-Zyme into my scheme of things. All it does is give my gut extra flora or bacteria to break heavier protein sources down. Alittle extra fiber doesn't hurt either as it keeps food moving instead of settling like a rock. I'm up to roughly 7 cups of veggies per day, so I'm not coming up short in that department. Broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, onions, carrots, green beans, ect. I don't eat corn as it's a grain or peas because they have alot of sugar.

The results from the additions has been good so far. No toxic gas, stomach pains or otherwise and I'm actually hungry every 2.5 - 3 hours like I should be.

10. pigme

pigme Active Member

I am not very familiar with these forum sites, is there a certain place that I should post the diet??? or do you mean just post it here on this string?

I have been avoiding dairy this week and amazingly the "toxic" gas has gone away. I guess I have to just face up to the fact that I am lactose intollerant. Also, I have moved the majority of my carbs to earlier in the day and I am feeling better about my results. I am trying to stick to protien and veges from about 4pm on.

I have also cut my calorie intake, against what most advise. The calculations say I should be at about 1600/day, my trainer says 1500, but I have been doing 1200 for so long and when I started uping the cals I didn't see what I wanted. I have cut back this week again, and am starting to feel better. I do eat more on workout days though.

11. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Sure.

1200 is the bottom end of what you should be eating (I eat 1700 on average to lose a little bit more than 1.2 lbs a week). If you've been eating 1200 for a long time in addition to the amount of exercise you're doing (5 days a week) without results, then it sounds like your metabolism is out of whack.

12. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I second what Christy said regarding your calories. She's a smart woman, listen to her.

Please don't keep dropping your calories! :nono:

If you're comfortable with 1500 and can eat that many to the point where you are satisfied ( not full) then do it. If you're not making progress, there is a problem either in your diet, your activity level or both. This is where posting your diet helps as we can spot anything that make be keeping you from a weekly fat loss of 1 or 2 pounds per week.

If you keep dropping calories, you're going to regret it as you can only go so low before A) Your metabolism shuts down or B) Your body goes cannible (sp?) mode and attacks your lean mass as a protein source.

Allowing your body to do either will mean that until you reset your system and get it out of "starvation" mode, you'll gain weight once you start eating again. Muscle is THE best and hardest working fat burner you've got, don't let your body use it as fuel. I'll do the finger shake thing again just to make my point. :nono:

On that finger pointing note, I'm glad your feeling better sans the dairy. It's not so bad once you get used it. :)

P.S. I'm still playing with my food plan, but my lifts are coming in heavier and I'm down 10 lbs of fat for the first 4 weeks of Jan. If you're doing X doubles and are at a stand still in terms of fat loss, your diet is the problem.

#12 Zilla, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  13. pigme

pigme Active Member

i hear ya. I'm listening. :D

ok, today was not a perfect day for eating as I was on the run, but I didn't do too bad when looking at how it logged out:

5 eggs whites, 1 yolk
    1/2 piece multi grain toast
    1/2 orange
    1 slice bacon

iced coffee with soy

protien bar (20g protien)

protien shake

5 oz baked salmon with tsp pesto butter
    1/2 cup brown rice (with other grains in it too, a mix)
    1/2 cup brocolli
    1/2 cup cauliflower
    1 large beet

1/4 cup cottage cheese

day ended up 34p/37c/28f 1390 calories

I know the calories are still a bit low, but I will try to keep at 1500

so if I am hearing you right, the best way to reset the metabolism is to eat more?????
    definitely enjoying the lack of "toxisity" from the dairy. I'm not staying away from it completely, but I sure feel it when I have it.

[/QUOTE] I had my trainer remeasure my body fat today, down 4% in 4 weeks, weight is exactly the same. So I guess I'm ok with that. I am still increasing my weights and getting stronger, so overall I think I am making progress.

14. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

If that is a bad day in terms of eating, you're way ahead of most people in that dept. :tu: Just be careful with the protein bars as most of them are glorified candy bars unless you make them yourself.

If at some point you find your progress slowing down due to the sugar and fat content in the bars, try swapping the bar for something else. If you were using it as a snack, you can always use things like nuts, seeds and a piece of fruit. They're portable and don't make a mess.

In terms of eating more, all "more" means is giving your body more fuel to work with before, during and after a workout. Those extra calories can be something simple like adding a serving of veggies to breakfast.

For example, if you like to make a omelete occasionally, toss some veggies in it. Onions, peppers and those types of things do add calories, but they're clean calories that are not loaded with fat or sugar. A serving of sliced almonds ( 1 oz) has roughly 170 calories. 6 grams of protein, 6 grams of carbs, 4 grams of fiber and 14.3 grams of fat. There's no reason to freak out over the fat content as it's a healthy fat. Can people go overboard with nuts, yes, but they're nothing to be afraid of. The body needs healthy fats so it's okay. It's not the same type of fat that can be found in a box of Twinkies or something.

You're down 4% in 4 weeks which tells me that everything that you're doing is working just fine. :tucool: If you are using the scale as a guide, kick it to the curb. Scales don't tell the whole story and you'll make yourself crazy by going by those numbers. Using actual body measurements and how your clothes fit are a much better way to tell which direction you're going in.

If you poke around, you'll find a thread that talks about how decieving scales really are. I don't have the link, but what the thread shows is members here on JSF at a certain weight before they started working out and eating well versus how they look now at that same weight with working out and eating well. Body composition makes a world of difference even though a person make be the same weight as they were before.

Muscle weighs more than fat but it's also leaner and gives the body shape. Fat just sits around and doesn't do anything other than make people look spongy and soft. You also don't want to be skinny fat which means people have a low scale weight, but a high body fat percentage. That doesn't look very nice either, but people do it all the time because they swear by the scale.

You're doing great! :)

15. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

16. goonie

goonie Active Member

Yes, but whether you eat 1300 or 1500 calories would be irrelevant as a "reset" approach, because either is entirely too low to get the job done. BMR and hormonal environment isn't going anywhere positive when you're still at a daily deficit.

I'm not saying you personally have to eat more, or have metabolic issues that can be addressed by getting, and staying for a few weeks, around/above maintenance calories, but if that's what you're actually referring to, then yeah, you'd need to eat way more than 1500 calories everyday.

How long have you been intentionally aiming for a deficit, and operating within a "dieting" based mindset? Exact weight loss results don't always matter, as the negative effects can add up either way.

Read Lyle McDonald's articles on Physiology of Fat Loss for more background, specifically the Bodyweight Regulation and Leptin series.

#16 goonie, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009