1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Salmon Chowder

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by mastover, Jan 2, 2011.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I love salmon, and when I get some, it's always wild caught or canned wild caught. (A bit more expensive but worth it) Here's a great healthy recipe for some chowder using the canned variety. A bit different from your conventional clam chowder, but more tasty and better for you.

1 cup unsalted cashews
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 onion, diced
    16 oz sweet potato, diced
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    1 large carrot, sliced
    2 celery stalks, sliced
    1 cup frozen corn
    1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    4 cups low sodium chicken broth
    2- 5 oz cans salmon, drained
    2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets
    2 tablespoons fresh dill
    dash of pepper

In a bowl cover the cashews with water and soak for two or more hours. Drain cashews, place them in a blender and add just enough water to cover them. Process until smooth, then set aside. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes. Mix in potato, carrot, bell pepper, celery, corn, tomato paste, pepper flakes and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for for 15 minutes or until potato and carrot are tender. Stir in cashew cream, salmon, broccoli, pepper, and simmer 5 minutes more. Put serving in a bowl and garnish with dill on top and you are ready to eat!!!:eat:

Serves 4-6

410 calories, 25gP, 45gC, 17gF, 7gFiber

This meal can be eaten when dieting or bulking, and if you're like me, eaten when dieting and bulking, or whenever!! :drool:

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks Aram. That sounds tasty soI'll be picking up some salmon next time I go shopping and make a batch.

3. mastover

If you should use the fresh wild salmon steak variety, make sure you sear the salmon steak chunks for about 2- 2 1/2 minutes on high heat. When using fresh fillets, debone (if necessary) and cut up into chunks.
    :tucool:

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Aram, I made the recipe last night and it got a thumbs up from the family. There's some leftover so I'll be having it at some point today. :eat:

I did make some modifications that I'm sure caused a very minimal, if any, change to the taste. The first was that I used a fresh coho salmon fillet that I grilled, deskinned, and cut into chunks before putting in the soup. I also put in more salmon than the recipe called for. Lastly, to accommodate my vegetarian daughter, I used homemade vegetable broth instead of the chicken stock.

Thanks for sharing this; I'll be making it again.

5. mastover

I'm very happy you enjoyed it, Paul! What time do you want me over for dinner? :D

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

We usually eat dinner about 7. :)

7. mastover

Ha ha, I would be honored, my friend. How about I treat you and your wife to a great cheat-type dinner in NYC at the best kept secret restaurant (once we can escape from the impending snow storms, upcoming.. :rolleyes: )

:tucool:

#7 mastover, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

You're more than welcome here. :nod:

Aram, that sounds like a plan. Once the weather clears and warms up some let's figure out a mutually convenient time.

Happy shoveling tomorrow. :blank:

9. Agon

Agon Active Member

I made this tonight. I have to say this is just about restaurant quality food. Pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :D