1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

"saddle sores" on the spin cycle

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by kecko1, Jan 5, 2009.

1. kecko1

kecko1 Active Member

I'm experiencing saddle sores from the spin bike at the gym. The saddle doesn't have the requisite hole/gap in the front to allow for air and I'm getting some nasty chafing around the rather personal bits (I'm female). :o

I can't swap the saddle out, and I'm trying to improve things by making sure I'm regularly standing up, but any other suggestions for how to reduce the friction? Has anyone used chamois creams? I don't use cycling shorts because I'm working the spin class into my regular workouts, so any suggestions for regular-shorts wearers?

Cheers

2. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Not really. I find cycling shorts and a good saddle are imperative for discomfort-free riding. The loose material from your workout shorts contributes to chafing. Can't you change into cycling shorts before starting your class?

My dad is an avid cyclist and often rides 100+ kilometers a day. He swears by chamois cream.

3. Phillyp

Phillyp Active Member

+1 for cycle shorts, im a guy and learnt the hard way, wasnt fun for a few days...

4. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Wear a pair of soccer shorts over your bike shorts. :)

Other than that, you could look at chamois creams, which will help if the problem is friction, not pressure. I use Assos.

5. vertigo88

vertigo88 Active Member

I agree with the above poster. I has a similar issue on my rower.....more inside leg issue, I switched to tight long shorts....in my case they`re just underwear, with my normal shorts on top. Worked like a charm. Nothing wrong with tacky underneath :)

6. kecko1

kecko1 Active Member

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

7. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

I am a regular spinner and went through the same thing. The best thing I did was go out and get a gel seat that I put right on the bike. The middle has a "valley" down the center. But it did take a good month for my girly bits to toughen up. I find also the tighter the shorts the better the ride as well. If there is too much material, it bunches up and makes things uncomfortable.

8. Dumah

Dumah Active Member

If you've just recently started, your body may need some time to adjust to the saddle. I've been Spinning for about 4 years and teaching for two and had similar issues when I started. The parts in question might stop being bothered over time, or you could slightly alter your pedal stroke and spot on the saddle to keep chafing down.

You can also take more saddle breaks regardless of the ride configuration, flats at a standing run (hands at pos. 2) and on a hill (pos. 3).