1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SAC - Sober April Challenge (2008)

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by M@, Mar 28, 2008.

1. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Partying too hard?

Relying on booze to fall asleep or relax?

Tired of trying to deadlift with a fuzzy tongue and hangover nausea?

Sick of eating right all week only to nuke your progress after an out-of-control Saturday night?

Summer's coming and it doesn't care if you had a little too much fun during the NCAA tournament games. It's time to dry up, work out, and fill the downtime with activities that get you closer to your goals rather than saturating your bloodstream with alcohol.

Join a dedicated bunch of JSF'ers as we challenge ourselves, and one another, to go 30 days without a drink. :tu:

Short month, people. Do it!

Caution: Sobriety can be habit-forming. Side-effects may include: Increased fat loss. Improved gains in lean mass. Deeper, more restful sleep. Surplus in disposable income. Avoidance of karaoke. Faster run times. Lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Disgustingly cheerful and positive disposition. Lack of mood swings. Do not take sobriety if you intend to become pregnant by, or impregnate, a total stranger at 2:00 am after the house lights come up. Consult your doctor for affirmation and accolades.

2. AzDesertRhino

AzDesertRhino Active Member

That's awesome M@!!

I was having one of those "I've been working my ass off for the past 8 days straight, dawn to dusk, I deserve some beers, type of days!!"

Your post made me laugh, examine my reasoning and commit to my challenge of no alcohol even stronger!

Thanks! Hope I can do the same for you some day!!:tucool:

I'm in for another month!

(Typed while sweating my ass off, hands covered in paint after just coming off the roof for some water and bitching up a storm!!)

3. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, why not? Let's make it 4 months on the trot.

4. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Pfft. Like you and the rest of the folks from the SMC haven't already? :lol:

I'm finding myself in a real good spot thanks to your example and others. I appreciate it. :D

:guitar:

5. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Here with no beer.

6. Spongy

Spongy Active Member

Sober april eh????? Sure! I'm trying to make the right changes and this one can only be for the better! Count me in (Runs to the store to stock up on beer for the next 2 days...) :D Just kidding!

7. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

Is there room for one more? I stumbled a couple of times in the SMC but I really need to be "beach ready" before June so I'm committed too.

8. AzDesertRhino

Welcome aboard SpecialK and everyone else.

I find these Sober Challenges help me stay focused and I sometimes have to check in regularly for a little motivation.

I know I would have slipped had it not been for some of the folks in the SMC and, most recently, a post by M@!:tucool:

Thanks all.

9. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

Beautifully worded!
    I'm in!:D

The demon red wine has often claimed me as his mistress.:evil:

10. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

Cheers to you all. I won't even attempt staying sober for a whole month, I like beer too much. Cutting down to my cheat meal was almost unbearable.

I might be able to do it in July after the baby is born, but then I may not have a choice either...

Honestly tho, I do admire anyone that can do it (and truly enjoys the evils of alcohol). +4 Woodan!

11. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

I'll second that. Erm, but, um, I don't have the trots.

12. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

This ain't no April Fool's joke.... I'm not drinking today. :nope:

13. AzDesertRhino

Continuing my endeavor to stay "DRY"!!

I completed the SMC although there were some serious temptations and challenges during the last week.

Hang tough all. The challenges will be there, we can make it through the month clear headed!! :tucool:

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:

The friends who I partied with (sober) this past weekend were hitting the sauce for the first time in a long while because of their kids. I was talking to Jody and she said, "I haven't felt like I could responsibly drink in two years. It wasn't just the pregnancy or the nursing, but that something could go wrong any second and I had to be 100% alert and clearheaded. I don't even want a glass of wine with a meal if they're around."

I never looked at it from that angle. Huge responsibility, no doubt. Congratulations in advance and best wishes that everything goes smoothly when the time comes. :tu:

It's friggin' April already! :eek:

I stuck out the end of the March challenge and am pretty impressed with myself over it. When I posted my commitment, the end of the month seemed a long, long time away and I questioned my willpower. It turned out to be a breeze, thanks in no small part to the folks here.

Now it's April 1 and 30 days seems like a long time. It always does until it's gone. I'm resolved to find myself feeling this good, or likely even better, on May 1.

Once again, I'm going to make a post here every day (barring internet inaccessibility) with a positive report of the previous day and affirmation of my commitment to the moment. That said:

I'm not going to drink today. :tu:

15. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

So it begins. This April Fool is giddy. No drinks today and none in the foreseeable future.

16. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

I GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS!
    Me too. I will clutter this thread Jack Handy style. I get too tempted at the end of the workday. This will be the last thing I look at before I leave in the afternoons. This and the cute blonde that sits across from me. :madpimp:

17. pemrich

pemrich Active Member

I'm in for the SAC. I lam looking forward to a month with no booze.

18. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

Count me in, as well! :nod:

19. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

I won't be drinking today!:tu:

20. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

I'll join you all.

It's only 21 hours in, and I'd like a beer please.