1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Reynolds from Van Wilder, seriously bulked up for Blade: Trinity (pics)

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by gr1fter, Aug 16, 2004.

1. RamRom

RamRom Well-Known Member

god bless, u know what :D

2. rstar32

rstar32 Well-Known Member

Yeah, God bless personal Trainers, nutritionists, and hard work.

I don't really believe that he needed steroids to get like that, he had never really lifted previously and was working with professionals throughout the process.

3. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, it took him 6 months to make that transformation...Perfectly doable. If you take a look at him, he doesn't have alot of muscle...certainly not enough to suggest that he was juicing. I'd guess that he put on a little bit of muscle, and then dropped alot of fat.

Also, don't forget, he's got somebody preparing his meals/nutrition, constructing and supervising his workouts etc....and in addition, his career and finances depend on him making transformations like that -- So, it doesn't surprise me at all that he could make such a change in the course of 6 months.

I actually think Ed Norton's transformation was much more impressive for American History X. He looks like a classic ectomorph to me...very thinly built, yet he put on a good amount of mass for the role in a pretty short time span.

4. reanimated838uk

reanimated838uk Well-Known Member

I dont think norton's physique was that defined though, by that I mean with his abs showing.

5. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Agreed. We just watched that movie last night. I've seen 'roids at work in our gym here, and the changes they went through ("they" being the two guys who I know were using - I walked in on them shooting it in their ass a couple of times, they stopped hiding around me after that...) were much, much greater than that of Reynolds. Looks to me like he simply performed a very disciplined bulk phase, probably under the watchful eye of some Hollywood trainer specializing in that sort of thing.

It's so tiresome to see people continually pointing the steroid finger when all that's truly gone on is a well-directed, concentrated effort.

-R

6. RamRom

RamRom Well-Known Member

7. The Abdominal Snowman

The Abdominal Snowman Well-Known Member

The lighting helps a lot, as well. In some lighting I'm very impressed with my progress, while in other lighting it just plain sucks! The window in my microwave with lighting from outside makes me look awesome! It must look odd for other people, they might think I'm flexing for my food! :lol:

8. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Another vote that it's highly unlikely he used steroids. His transformation is impressive but nothing out of the ordinary. It's certainly possible to have those results even without a trainer with a well-planned, top notch lifting program and spot on nutrition.

9. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

The second two pics of the three are using extraordinary lighting. If you look at that photo and assume he's on roids because of the lighting, you're just ignorant. Look at his arms and shoulders closely and you'll see that the shadows are accentuating the shape of the muscle, his arms are actually not very big at all.

An impressive transformation with good photography-yes, steroids-no way.

10. The Abdominal Snowman

His abs remain pretty nice though, lighting or not. :)
    According to interviews he achieved them by doing 800-1000 ab reps each day. Although I don't believe you can do so many when you up the intensity (by moving SLOWLY and concentrating on keeping them flexed), I do like to do many high intensity reps instead of a few with extra resistance.
    I used to do 8 minute abs, after which I upped the number, after which I upped the resistance and lowered the reps, after which I got bored and started to neglect my abs, after which I tried 8 minute abs and felt like they were burning a hole in my stomach. :lol: So currently I'm back to 8 minute abs, which is really just 9 ab exercises which you perform back to back, which makes it hard. I do about 15 reps for each exercise, which is about 3 seconds per rep. I'm not sure it's the best exercise I can do, but it sure beats doing nothing.
    I think for me it's actually better to have some ab endurance because of my back problems, and my posture makes my belly stand out a bit, so I wouldn't really want them protruding too much. I'd sure like some expert opinion, especially from people who've got something to show in that area (show me those six packs :lol: ).

Funny side note: this thread is the very thread which introduced me to JSF, so a big thank you to Ryan for that. :tu:

11. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Yeah he's got great abs, my point was regarding steroids and his supposedly 'huge' physique. Steroids can't give you abs, only exercise and fat reduction. Most of the shape will be determined by your genetics.

12. RamRom

RamRom Well-Known Member

1000 ab reps in one day, i should try that sometimes :nod:

13. Demon Knight

Demon Knight Well-Known Member

I think the Blade Trinity movie was pretty bad. However, on the point of the "body" here. No, its not steroids. He hasn't gained that much mass. With a nutritionist and trainer, I think many people on this board would look just as good in 6 months. The 1000 sit ups....well, you see it CAN help but his bodyfat apparently was at 6% and I doubt if he'd look noticeably worse if he hadn't done 1000 sit ups. Genetics obviously play a role too.

14. The Abdominal Snowman

I actually did 900 reps a day for some time, but obviously intensity suffers when you do that. Oh, and it takes a LONG LONG TIME. About half an hour! :lol:

I didn't do them all in one go, though. If I'd do them at my current intensity without breaks it'd take three quarters of an hour! :lol:

15. Acliff

Acliff Well-Known Member

Last summer I was doing 2000 situps :/
    What summer holiday boredom does to you. Doing them in reps of 100, you get through them quite quickly. However not necessarily the optimal way to get muscle...

16. Biggoggs

Biggoggs Well-Known Member

All that, in... half a year? Phwoar!
    Sounds like most of the knowledge was due to the trainer, though. Would probably take a normal person (ie no personal trainer, work through the day, a family, etc) a bit longer.

Makes you wish you went overseas or something for half a year and came back looking like that :P

17. don_1987

don_1987 Well-Known Member

Ab crunches my ass! :mad: 2 years ago I would literally do 200 crunches per day for a week (total of 1,400 crunches) and see no result whatsoever! :(

Back to the topic... Damn! That look great! Even though he bulked and add 20 lbs, he still cuts very cleanly and still has a six-pack. Men, hollywood superstars are sure lucky (in term of genetics, money and luck)... :nod:

18. Spicoli

Spicoli Well-Known Member

Anyone remember when this guy was on that cheesy Nickelodeon show "Fifteen"?

It was on the air in the early 90's.

19. bb7_rider

bb7_rider Well-Known Member

says in the special features its like 3.8 or 4.8 % :d_eek: (dont remember)
    same here :D

20. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

I see a lot of ignorance on both side of the steriod issue in this thread. There are many steriods out there for various reasons. Some to offset the side-effects of another.

Several years ago, I knew someone doing a cycle of depo who then too a shot of something else to make it so his balls starting producing test again and another shot to offset the gyno. Point being, steroids are not just for bulking up.

Winstrol and clens would have been a perfect choice for Ryan to lean up. Not saying he did....

I am 100% sure that Lyndsey Lohan is taking steroids! How do I look like that? Most males have bigger breasts than her now.