1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Running V Walking

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by themuss, Apr 18, 2005.

1. themuss

themuss Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Just wanted to pop in another question for everyone, do running and walking have the same effects in terms of fat loss? I mean I know running is better for your heart and will get you fitter, but if the main goal is just to lose weight, does walking do the trick?

Thanks

2. williamso

williamso Well-Known Member

Any movement requires calories. Any extra movement requires extra calories. Any extra calories burned is good. Ultimately, you need to expend more energy than you take in if you want fat loss. However, a few other things to consider . . .

The easiest way to burn calories is to get your metabolism higher. If the metabolism is high, this means that you are burning more calories 24 hours/day! This is like the difference between stashing cash under your mattress (simple exercise) and putting it in a mutual fund that yields 15%, compounded daily (exercise that raises your metabolism)! Ok, so how do you get your metabolism higher? For cardio workouts, you need to get your heart rate up to 65%-75% of your maximum. Keep it there for 30 or 40 minutes. For some people, walking will do it. For me, walking doesn't do it. I can walk briskly for 10 minutes and my hr will be around 80. I need to run.

Hope this helps.

3. CJohnson

CJohnson Well-Known Member

The question you are asking can be extrapolated to the high intensity (HIIT) vs. low intensity (LISS) debate . You will get 10 different answers on which is better from 10 different people. I prefer high intensity short duration , while others prefer a lower intensity longer duration. They're both good for you, so just pick which one you can work with. I don't think anyone can answer with certainty which one is better for all people.

Running is definitely harder on your joints though. I prefer a lower impact exercise.

4. Fluogen

Fluogen Well-Known Member

They burn the same number of calories per mile but with running you can cover more distance in less time. If you are very overweight you might want to avoid running because of the strain it places on your joints.

5. jtchen22

jtchen22 Well-Known Member

whatever one you like doing is the better one for you.

try running a little, then walking, then running, then walking. it works wonders.

6. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

A.K.A. HIIT :nod:

Personally, I prefer high-intensity, long duration.

7. littlejohn

littlejohn Well-Known Member

My experience has been that walking is better than slow running for weight loss. I have done walking up to one hour, walking and running for nearly an hour, running for 45 minutes, and HIIT for about 30 minutes.

Now there are other variables, but my experience as to which is the best for weight loss would be as follows:

HIIT
    Walking and Running
    Walking (fast)
    Running (9 min/mile)

But I should add (the reason for my edit) that I end up doing the running the most. HIIT requires mental effort that I just don't have some days, and walking will not fit in my schedule. So I go run for 30-40 minute run. So maybe I don't even believe myself!?

#7 littlejohn, Apr 19, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2005