1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Running Shoes bad for Joints?

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by Llirik, Jan 13, 2010.

1. needachange

needachange Active Member

Yeah it takes a little while to get used to, especially when you are prone to heel striking.

Once you get it down though you won't ever want to go back.

2. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

After the foot strike, this was one of the hardest parts for me to wrap my head around. But it also made the biggest difference in my running. I kept wanting to use a long, slow stride for long runs, but a faster turnover is actually more efficient. Take quicker, shorter strides and keep your feet low to the ground. If you think you need to take two steps to cover a distance, take three instead. It helped me to do some training runs while listening to high-BPM mixes from podrunner.

On long runs, in double-digit miles, I still find myself shifting to a heel strike every once in awhile to give my legs a break. But POSE is definitely my go-to method now. It's made a significant difference in my efficiency, and my enjoyment of running. It's worth making the effort to practice it. :nod:

I also like to keep this quote from Christopher McDougall's Born to Run in mind:

3. The Homebody

The Homebody Active Member

I think I would only use these on a dirt trail as well. Developing knee problems in something I don't ever want. The shoes look really cool though. They remind me of those socks that have the 5 toe slots in them.

4. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

5. Kenpo Fist

Kenpo Fist Well-Known Member

I was thinking about heading out today to pick up a pair. Either the KSOs or the Sprint. Which pair do you have?

I'll be using primarily for running, crossfit and some martial arts.

6. KoNcEpT61

KoNcEpT61 Active Member

I'm a 9.5, and I guess there are only like 2 pairs of the five finger shoes I can buy :(

7. needachange

IMO the Vibrams are kind of a crap shoot. They are made for people with nearly perfect feet. How many people do you know with nearly perfect feet?

Trying to find a store that actually carries them (not online) and has them in stock is one problem.

The measurments are not done it the standard sizes, so if ordering online you could end up with a size that doesn't fit well.

Also, since all the toes are seperated if you have a crooked toe or several crooked toes you are SOL. The shoes will fit like crap. I don't have that issue, all my toes are straight....BUT the toe next to my big toe is a little longer. So that alone makes the Vibrams very uncomfortable since it crowds that single toe in the shoe.

I really like the Nike Frees, I have them myself. So if you can't find Vibrams or they don't fit your feet try the Nikes.

I know several other people who've also had the Vibrams and ended up switching to the Frees eventually.

8. KoNcEpT61

KoNcEpT61 Active Member

Heh turns out I was measuring my feet incorrectly, but even then they are pretty much completely sold out of M40s.

Maybe I'll take a look at those for my next pair of shoes. My trainer has the 5 fingers and recommended them to me, but I can see why there would be problems.

I would say I do have 'perfect feet' I dont have any irregular size issues, curling or anything.

9. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

So, I went running barefoot a couple of times. On concrete sidewalks in the northside of Chicago. Though I'd share a couple of thoughts.

First run. 1 Mile.
    Promptly scraped the skin off two of my toes. Same 1 toe on each foot. Ring-finger-toe one. Walking sucked for a while. Lots of neosporin.
    But!!! the run felt GREAT. Knees didn't hurt, landings were soft and felt right. Obviously no heel strike, and I felt like I could run forever.

Second Run. 1 mile
    Toes were healed. Plus, I taped the ones which lost skin last time. No skin lost this time. Running barefoot felt great on joints, legs, etc.

Conslusion thus far. too much debris on the sidewalks. crap from the trees, loose asphalt in the garbage alley crossings, glass from broken bottles

Plus, Apparently my skin is just not used to rough surfaces.
    I'm definitely going to pick up a pair of thin, light running shoes, and keep my Brooks adrenaline shoes for the gym.

10. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

How's the width on the Frees? I'd really like to get some kind of minimal shoe, but I'm having a rough time finding something for my big ol' 13 EE Wides.

11. needachange

I'd say they are rather narrow, they hug the arch of your foot. The whole shoe isn't narrow. But, the part that wraps around your arch and the top of your foot is. It's kind of hard to explain. Almost like wearing a sock, if that makes sense?

I'd say go try a pair on at a local store and see how they feel. Keep in mind though, they should be snug on your feet on purpose and they will stretch a little.

I don't wear mine with socks either. I'm sure they're designed to be worn like that. If you feel the inside of the shoe there are no seams. That way you don't get blisters.